+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: League 2 North & South

It is a no from me. Regarding travel, I don't think it is much of an advantage to us as we are pretty much on the border of the two leagues.

Most important though is the issue of relegation and especially promotion from the NLN and NLS. There are teams who could have been promoted from there with really small crowds, and stadiums would be an issue as well. When we had D3N and D3S there was no relegation, just re-election. I would not want to go back to those days.

Quote Originally Posted by maddogslater View Post
    Bit academic at the moment, it's another 14 weeks till September, as others have said I don't think all clubs Will survive till then, even if we do get a kick off by September.
    A first round FA trophy game seems mouth watering at present.
    You're right. When clubs that are well run like Burton are getting rid of their manager and replacing them with player managers to save money and survive, other clubs are no doubt in a lot worse position which is very sad. Swindon's chairman said he would think 30% of clubs will go to the wall if more isn't done to help

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    It is a no from me. Regarding travel, I don't think it is much of an advantage to us as we are pretty much on the border of the two leagues.

Most important though is the issue of relegation and especially promotion from the NLN and NLS. There are teams who could have been promoted from there with really small crowds, and stadiums would be an issue as well. When we had D3N and D3S there was no relegation, just re-election. I would not want to go back to those days.
    It's a yes from me.

What are the current stipulations on EFL membership? Do you have to be a professional club? If so, a couple of those in the national League may miss out or have to go full time? I don't know how many clubs are professional in NLN/S, very few I'd have thought? In that case, it might have to be re-election rather than promotion? From a club point of view, it might make it more palatable, from a competition point of view, the total opposite

CBP - I think most NL clubs are full time I know Chorley are PT and I guess a few others too but not too many.

The financial mess that Covid19 has caused in all industries might mean some clubs will have to go PT just to survive.

Unless of a bail out from football or the govt like others have said some clubs will go bust.

Should the opportunity arise, any current NL would be mad not to vote YES' for it, just ask Wrexham how easy it is to get stuck in this division for years, we'd be nuts to reject what is basically a free promotion, but I can't see much benefit to current L2 clubs apart from Carlisle, Exeter and those other clubs at the extreme ends of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    It's a yes from me.
    Well there's a surprise!

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    What are the current stipulations on EFL membership? Do you have to be a professional club? If so, a couple of those in the national League may miss out or have to go full time? I don't know how many clubs are professional in NLN/S, very few I'd have thought? In that case, it might have to be re-election rather than promotion? From a club point of view, it might make it more palatable, from a competition point of view, the total opposite
    Re-election would be a backward step imo. Play-offs, like them or not, give teams more to play for. Under re-election even the top team would know they may well not go up anyway. There's been so much discussion on here about Barrow and whether they deserve to go up, imagine what it would be like if it was down to re-election every year.

I can't see why being 'professional' really needs to be a requirement to be in the EFL.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie2k4 View Post
    I can see this working.
    League 1 already has four relegation spots so that makes it easy to maintain with two promotions from both League 2’s

Each League 2 could have the champions promoted and their own play off (ideally with six teams taking part). Then the bottom two teams from each League 2 get relegated.
    I don't see point of this at all, the savings going north every away game must be small beer. Although the northern league looks easier to win. If the offer was made Notts would be daft to say no.

Re-election would be a backward step imo. Play-offs, like them or not, give teams more to play for. Under re-election even the top team would know they may well not go up anyway. There's been so much discussion on here about Barrow and whether they deserve to go up, imagine what it would be like if it was down to re-election every year.

I can't see why being 'professional' really needs to be a requirement to be in the EFL.
    I would imagine it would be for a few years before things normalise and then perhaps go back to normal. The re-election would just be there to stop say a team who has 3,000 gates replaced by one with 300 gates, the whole point is to be a financial solution, not a sporting one

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast