+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Academies

Academies

Just been trawling through the forums of other League 2 teams and came across the club statement from Mr Cowling on behalf of Colchester United. Some interesting thoughts on there, especially about the possible wages cap and how having an Academy will be very beneficial as younger players wages may not be included allowing teams to spend more on a few "senior" players.

https://www.cu-fc.com/news/2020/may/...vid-19-latest/

An interesting and sensible statement. I have to say that I am concerned as to whether the EFL will act in the best interest of League1 nd league2. The impression I get is that their attitude is that as long as the Premiership clubs and the larger Championship clubs are saved, to hell with the rest of them. I do hope I am wrong. Keep the coffers of the big clubs intact so that they can continue paying the insane wages to the players, and allow the transfer prices to carry on in their vulgar way. Most of the transfer money goes abroad and is never seen again. Makes no contribution to British soccer. But don`t hold your breath, you will never hear Rick Parry or his commitee suggesting that.

If any capping is to be done for our local community clubs it should be entirely placed on the huge clubs.

Don't mention the word 'academy' or else 'you-know-who will post!!

Although I don’t trust them to follow through with their demands, the Government seem to be ‘advising’ the Premier League that they will only get permission to start up again if they send more of their TV money to help EFL, non-League clubs and grassroots football. They also didn’t fall for the usual ‘we give the EFL £400m per annum’ story after it was pointed out that this included about £270m of parachute payments to their former members.

Hopefully this will mean that L1 and L2 clubs will receive more in solidarity payments over the next couple of seasons.... and hopefully it will be the same to each club and not more to those that can’t manage their own affairs properly. As I intimated, I’m not holding my breath!

Excellent article by the Colchester Chairman, mind you. Clearly treating their supporters like adults and being refreshingly honest. With people like him, Mr Bowler and the Vale chair around football will be in a decent position. Let’s hope they have more influence than MacAnthony, Dale Vince and the pillock from Fleetwood.
    Last edited by AstonAlex; 19-05-2020 at 05:48 PM.

This is where our academy comes in and gives us an advantage re wages. A lot of clubs will not be able to pay big wages and will be off-loading big earners. A player now on say £4k a week might be grateful to accept £1k pw

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    Don't mention the word 'academy' or else 'you-know-who will post!!
    At least he will only have the coaching argument as the ‘costs’ argument has just gone flying out of the window when you read the Colchester article and many others in the serious press at the moment.... well, maybe......��

Quote Originally Posted by AstonAlex View Post
    At least he will only have the coaching argument as the ‘costs’ argument has just gone flying out of the window when you read the Colchester article and many others in the serious press at the moment.... well, maybe......��
    To be fair to MSB, he has always argued for the Academy, just not in its present form. But talking of people who are "negative" I havn't heard our resident pessimist complaining about how awful we are for not winning the league. (YET).

Quote Originally Posted by Teammoo View Post
    To be fair to MSB, he has always argued for the Academy, just not in its present form. But talking of people who are "negative" I havn't heard our resident pessimist complaining about how awful we are for not winning the league. (YET).
    Which one?

Quote Originally Posted by Teammoo View Post
    Hi everyone, hope you are all well and keeping as safe as we can.

Thanks Teammoo, that is or was exactly my position but I am reluctant to get drawn in or start arguments about the academy at the moment and the very fact we seem to on the face of it to being promoted then its difficult criticise it. ie it worked!

My concern would be about financies in the lower leagues if teams have to play behind closed doors and whether we can still afford to pay £760K per season for the running costs. It maybe just me but I have always said a Cat3 academy would be just fine which would half the costs without losing any graduates and would still prefer to have older trainees in it. It could be the FA/PL may well increase their financial support with the new constraints all clubs will have but they too will also be concerned about the TV money being reduced so we will have to wait and see?

I wonder if the new season will start in August behind closed doors? BTW the social distance rules may have an affect on the academy coaching sessions and of course playing their matches too....In many respects downgrading the academy could be a positive thing if its done correctly as can't see parents wanting to take their offspring much further afield but they will all be concerned about the social distance rules and the gathering together of senior and junior players and we all know nothing is going to get back to normal for some time maybe even a year unless a vaccine comes earlier.

Best regards to all...

'Coaching' is for another day...
    Last edited by MikeSB; 20-05-2020 at 07:21 PM.