+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mansfield release 11 any of them good for us?

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    You couldn't be more wrong if you are referring to Neal Bishop as a "player looking for a last payday". The one thing you are guaranteed to get with him are a fierce desire to win and 100% effort in every second of every game. I like Crawford, but I would prefer Bishop for next season.
    With the exception of Tyson and Doyle ( who were both actually signed as desperate measures if you look at the timing) one big thing Ardley has changed is not to sign ancients which is in stark contrast to pretty much all of his recent predecessors. There is no doubt about Bishops effort but he's 39. far too old and definitely not in the mould of an Ardley signing at all. If Doyle was not at the club I would welcome him back as a squad player and perhaps future manager / coach etc but we don't need him and more than ever we have to be prudent.

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestpie View Post
    I agree you need experience in the middle but at the expense of the likes of who??, Crawford was coming into his own once in the team and still only 19/20 yes old is a proper prospect and Rose (25) may come good after a few poor shows?? Why take players looking for a last payday instead of obvious young talent?.
    Quite right. There will be quite a large pool of players from all the FA leagues looking for new clubs. Although Bishop might still have something to offer, he is getting on a bit and to pair him with Doyle it would make a very slow midfield. Other clubs will also have their choice of players and most of these will be nippier than B&D, it is those we should be looking at, as will Mansfield. There is a reason why Mansfield are releasing these players.

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestpie View Post
    I agree you need experience in the middle but at the expense of the likes of who??, Crawford was coming into his own once in the team and still only 19/20 yes old is a proper prospect and Rose (25) may come good after a few poor shows?? Why take players looking for a last payday instead of obvious young talent?.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    Quite right. There will be quite a large pool of players from all the FA leagues looking for new clubs. Although Bishop might still have something to offer, he is getting on a bit and to pair him with Doyle it would make a very slow midfield. Other clubs will also have their choice of players and most of these will be nippier than B&D, it is those we should be looking at, as will Mansfield. There is a reason why Mansfield are releasing these players.
    I also agree. Bishop was a good servant for us but that ship's sailed.

Bish was a waste of a shirt when he wanted out, just went through the motions so as not to get injured

Quote Originally Posted by Glad2BeAPie View Post
    Bish was a waste of a shirt when he wanted out, just went through the motions so as not to get injured
    That just isn't true.

Quote Originally Posted by Glad2BeAPie View Post
    That just isn't true.
    For once I agree with Elite. Bish always gave 100% and was never "a waste of a shirt".

That just isn't true.
    It might be true EP, he said Alan Judge was on his way during the close season and others would want to leave too. I can't remember who else went but Judge did, next year Bishop did too after agreeing cancellation of his contract with the Trews.

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    It might be true EP, he said Alan Judge was on his way during the close season and others would want to leave too. I can't remember who else went but Judge did, next year Bishop did too after agreeing cancellation of his contract with the Trews.
    I know Bishop wanted to leave towards the end of that season, I just find the suggestion that he "just went through the motions" ridiculous.

That wasn't his style and never has been.

Bishop was on thin ice with a lot of fans around the time he left after arguing with some and due to his performances dipping so I don't think you can just say "it's not true" because everything about him seemed to go sour before he left. He's not what we need at the moment, he's be like a less talented Michael Doyle and we also have Jim O'Brien that I'd sooner see in the middle over him.

I doubt that Bishop is the sort of player we'll be signing any more.

Our new owners, with their footballing knowledge, will be looking for players who can do a job for us and be sold on at a profit. Players who are on the way up, not on the way down.

A good player for us on his day, but that day's gone.

What do I know though. We'll probably go and sign him tomorrow.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast