+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EFL propose salary cap for L1 & L2

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    With a 20 man squad the L2 limit would be just over a grand a week per player.
    as 8 have to be academy graduates then if you don't already have any it would be 12 players at around £1600 a week plus 8 academy players at around £600 a week. or yes 20 players at an average £1200 a week.

I was sold a dream by my dad as a kid back in the '60s. Wouldn't it be great if it wasn't all about money?

I am not against the idea but ultimately it creates a tall order for any League One Club with Championship aspirations and beyond. To work properly something like this needs to be applied across all the leagues which will never happen in a month of sundays. Ultimately its just creating a bigger gap. The principles are outstanding the outcome of the application would be worrying.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    Anyone know what an average L1 and L2 salary budget looks like? How many clubs would currently be over the proposed 2.5 and 1.25 million ceilings?

Also, is it realistic for a club relegated from the Championship, where no salary cap has been proposed (as far as I know), to reduce their budget to this level over one summer?

I like the idea though. As others have said, it would encourage teams to develop and play their own youngsters, and would put the breaks on **** clubs with rich owners, like Salford.
    It will be good if a salary cap is being brought in for the lower leagues to stop parasitic agents pushing up salaries and fees. Also to encourage clubs to live within their means and budget better and level the playing field. It’s been something that has been along time coming.

There was an article on a sports website in early 2018 (17/18 Nolan play off season) publishing the average player salaries for all clubs.

At that time when Notts were in League Two the average player salary at Notts was £1,805 a week which was 3rd highest in League Two. Ironically Bury were 2nd at £1,900 and the highest was MK Dons at £2,228. The lowest was Morecambe at £750.

In League One the highest average wage at the time was Sunderland £8,513 a week, 2nd was Charlton at £4,562 and 3rd highest was Barnsley at £2,809. The lowest was Accrington at £834.

So it gives and idea and indication as to what these new caps would mean.
    Last edited by MAD_MAGPIE; 20-05-2020 at 10:18 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12