+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: On this marvellous day....

Quote Originally Posted by GUNBOAT View Post
    To this day the bedsit has that cup final winning photo adorning the living room wall their victory paid for the deposit of the property.I was single at the time but any burd unfortunate to enter the bedsit was telt early that the framed photie would be there till the hoose got repossessed or i passed away.

I moved into the bedsit in October 1994 and the picture has only ever left the wall during redecoration,many years ago my partner said,"Can we no just put that in the lobby or the ootside lavy?."I replied,"If it wiznie for that team up there not one of us would be standing in this room so the answer is no."

The subject has never come up again,WASC with a FACT,BTW i won just over £1250,having witnessed 6 big cup defeats i still to this day wonder why i was so confident considering it was the longest shot since the 74 final.
    We were up against Glasgow Rangers going for a double treble and were 4/1 underdogs but i just knew we were gonna blow the witches curse to smithereens.
    I remember getting us 7/1 to lift cup and 7/1 Brewster to score the only goal 🤣🤣🤣😁,what a night I still couldn’t take it in lol 🧡🖤❤️ and it was great seeing people I knew were huns 😁

I was in Barcelona in the gods of the Camp Nou with my late father and i honestly thought that night would never be surpassed following the Terrors,you will not be surprised to read that i got a flight to the Costa Brava and he took the bus as usual.

After witnessing them 6 cup final defeats together we both agreed that the 21st of May 1994 was our greatest ever day following United,i have fond memories of him and the Maddy fae Kirkcaldy arm in arm in tears climbing them Hampden steps after that elusive trophy was lifted.

To younger Arabs looking in i highly recommend the book Kissing Strangers by Gwen Mcilroy,every chapter is the story of either a player,fan,wife or official that day we won the cup for the first time.

Its the best United book i have ever read,my FAV chapter is the story by Ricky Ross,his father had passed away during the cup run and they had always went to the games together.

He is climbing the stairs at the main entrance of Hampden before the match thinking about his father not being by his side and he hears thousands of fellow Arabs belting out his song Dignity,OYF,FACT with a WASC.

Thanks James,it's threads like this that make this board,WASC with a FACT.

Like others have posted, there was just something in the build up to that final, that many Arabs thought it would finally be our year. Perhaps the pumping of Rangers at Ibrox earlier in the season, where we were 3-0 up within 20mins, gave everyone that belief? Regardless, the restricted number of tickets, the noise and constant singing of the fans, songs played before the kick-off all contributed, and I still think we unnerved Rangers, because everyone was so relaxed. Thankfully, was old enough to really enjoy the bevvy before/after the game, and for the days following it 🤣
    Wanted to have a punt on us, as the odds were so good, but never got near a bookies on the way to the game, maybe that was a good sign, the rest is history. Still remember being one of last fans out of the ground, as about 40-50 of us did the conga up each and every row all the way from about row D (they went to triple letters if I recall), much to the annoyance of the stewards, and even got a wee mention from Dougie Donnelly, as the camera panned to us. Happy Days!!

Quote Originally Posted by GUNBOAT View Post
    Thanks James,it's threads like this that make this board,WASC with a FACT.
    Cheers GB, but I really can’t take the credit. peter was the one who provided the inspiration.

The whole day and weekend is still my best memories and cherished as an Arab

The whole day, the build up, sunshine, everyone performing and standing upto it, mclaren being excellent, the goal celebration, Guidos save from mikailachenko, how long the second half seemed

That night with my cousins going round the scheme singing brewster wonderland and every other player got a verse, being out later than normal everyone on a high, gran and grandad who weren't into football taking us into town on the bus on Sunday and the nearest we could get to stand was in front of Samuel's

Always associate Bill withers (rip) lovely day with that day to due to goal and the glory aswell as dignity of course

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4rdwc

I’d left on my travels by that season and was based in Devonport so hadn’t really seen much of the team that year. Managed to wangle a ticket through my then girlfriend’s Dad who knew somebody at the Club. Travelled up the 560 miles on the Friday and then drove through to Glasgow on the Saturday.

Because I’d been away, I really was looking at things on paper and to be frank, I thought we were on the decline with the loss of guys like Ray McKinnon, John O’Neill, Duncan Ferguson etc who really ought to have been the next generation side that would have carried us forwards for years. Consequently I couldn’t see us winning at all but at the same time because I’d been out of town I hadn’t really grasped the feeling running through the support that this WAS the year. I think after six previous losses there was a general feeling of ‘Ach aye, phuck it, what’s the worst that can happen.’. Ivan got it, the team got it, the support got it and it seemed to mean that we went through with little expectation, which for us as a Club was perversely actually a good thing. It meant that the pressure was actually all on the Hvns to do their unprecedented double treble thing.

When I got in the ground, the first song that came on was Dignity and the way the punters sang along to it, you just knew. No one will ever be able to explain how, but you just somehow knew. This was the Day.

I didn’t really look at my watch much after Brewster’s goal and for me, it actually went by reasonably quickly and the first realisation that we were close was when the stewards started to come out and line the track at the foot of the terracings as is their want when full time is imminent. That’s when it hit me that ‘phuck me we’re going to do this.’ As the whistle went, I was at the end of a row, I slumped down to my knees, got up and there was this guy bounding down the stairs toward me shouting, ‘They’ve won it, they’ve only gone and phucking won it!’.

Like other Arabs I’m sure, we were all welling up when Mo raised the trophy, but at the same time I also thought of those great players from our past who had been denied raising it, often cruelly, like Heggie, Davie Narey, Luggy, Bannon et al. So it was good to see Hegarty and Narey on the pitch with the team at the end. I so wish that Oor Jum could have come out because that one was for him as well.

Infact that one was for all of us. St Mirren in 87, Motherwell in 91, Celtic ad infinitum, Luggy’s ‘offside’ screamer v Oldco, we’d been through the mill and then some. We’d paid the price and that day, we finally collected our dues. Once again, What.A.Phucking.Day.

#WASC
    Last edited by JamesMcClean; 21-05-2020 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shedka View Post
    The whole day and weekend is still my best memories and cherished as an Arab

The whole day, the build up, sunshine, everyone performing and standing upto it, mclaren being excellent, the goal celebration, Guidos save from mikailachenko, how long the second half seemed

That night with my cousins going round the scheme singing brewster wonderland and every other player got a verse, being out later than normal everyone on a high, gran and grandad who weren't into football taking us into town on the bus on Sunday and the nearest we could get to stand was in front of Samuel's

Always associate Bill withers (rip) lovely day with that day to due to goal and the glory aswell as dignity of course

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4rdwc
    The goal aside, Guidos save won that for us. Had that gone in, well we probably all know what would've happened. Absolutely stunning point blanker.

The fans played a massive part as well, the crowd at the Motherwell replay was unreal, the end just kept filling up and close to 5000 there for a third round replay on a Tues/Wed night, was brilliant, and we started to believe..(what a goal from Welshy). Another decent crowd away to Airdrie, followed up at Tanny, then decent numbers for the two games against Aberdeen at Hampden, and a great last minute equaliser from Welshy, followed by Macca’s in the replay.

At 25, it was a fecking very expensive cup run (for tickets, and pre/post match drinking home and away), but well worth it, and having taken for granted the football served up in the 80’s, yet still defeated in many SC finals, fully appreciated and savoured that day in 94.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)