+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: There will be relegation from Football League

There will be relegation from Football League

Presumably just one from League 2. There will be play offs too.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodypie View Post
    one relegated from L2 = two promoted from NL

So what now for the National League? We should expect them to follow suit - Which would mean Barrow up and Notts able to play for the other position, which we'd presumably all be satisfied with.

I don't feel it's fair that Barrow go straight up, they should play off too, but the important thing would be that we still have a chance to play for honours. So we'd now concentrate our energy on that.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    So what now for the National League? We should expect them to follow suit - Which would mean Barrow up and Notts able to play for the other position, which we'd presumably all be satisfied with.

I don't feel it's fair that Barrow go straight up, they should play off too, but the important thing would be that we still have a chance to play for honours. So we'd now concentrate our energy on that.
    I agree entirely. NL need to grow a pair and decide. If China's guess is right, FL are conspiring to send Macclesfield down, I don't think NL would be too keen on taking them.

It may not be fair but it’s the only way. The EFL are doing the same and there will be teams that miss out on promotion, play offs and having a chance to avoid relegation. It is what it is. The realistic alternatives that were being touted was the leagues all being void or relegation not happening. So we should be thankful that we get a crack, assuming we do.

The EFL has confirmed that 51% of clubs in either the Championship, League One or League Two need to agree for a campaign to be curtailed.

This could pave the way for the League One season to be cancelled, with teams currently split over a resolution.

Talks last week stalled after at least six clubs in the third tier, including Sunderland, Portsmouth and Ipswich Town, said they wanted to continue the season.

With only 23 teams now in that division, following Bury's expulsion by the EFL, any vote is certain to be decisive either way.

If the season is brought to an early conclusion, using the unweighted points-per-game system proposed by the EFL eighth-placed Wycombe Wanderers would move into the play-offs at the expense of Peterborough United - another of the sides determined to carry on playing.

The new regulations still have to be voted on by all 71 EFL clubs before they can be implemented.

While League One could follow League Two in being curtailed, the Championship is hoping to resume in June alongside the Premier League.

Players are set to return to training on Monday but with strict protocols.

What's the impact on League Two?
    Clubs voted to end the League Two campaign immediately on 15 May, also proposing that no team should be relegated to the National League.

However, with the EFL including relegation in its framework for curtailing a season early, Stevenage would go down from League Two as it stands.

Swindon, Crewe and Plymouth would be automatically promoted to League One.

"In the event a divisional decision is made to curtail the 2019-20 season, the EFL board is recommending that the League adopts the original framework with the amendments as identified, as there is a strong desire to remain as faithful as possible to the regulations and ensure there is consistency in the approach adopted across the EFL in all divisions," EFL chairman Rick Parry said.

"The board has always acknowledged that a single solution to satisfy all clubs would always be hard to find, but we are at the point now where strong, definitive action is need for the good of the League and its members."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52758193

I agree entirely. NL need to grow a pair and decide. If China's guess is right, FL are conspiring to send Macclesfield down, I don't think NL would be too keen on taking them.
    IF it's Macclesfield coming down then i can see them getting put straight into NLN as Boston were when they came out of the EFL. that would also mean 2 spare places in the NL so the PPG champs of NLN and NLS would come up. IF the NL follows the EFL lead on relegation then if Macclesfield go to NLN then only Chorley and Fylde would go down and the top 2 of each NLN and NLS would come up - which would include York City. IF Stevenage come down though it would be 3 down from the NL with Chorley, Fylde and Ebbsfleet going down.

I would expect the NL to follow and have play offs as it would put the integrity of the NL into dispute if they promoted Harrogate who currently sit in the play offs and not an automatic spot.

If it was just one up then I'd expect Barrow to go up as they sit in the automatic spot. I wouldn't be happy with it but would understand why.

I know there's another thread on Macclesfields new charges - but this is looking increasingly like coming true now.

I don't feel it's fair that Barrow go straight up, they should play off too.
    Agree, UptheMagpies it's not right that Barrow are in line for automatic promotion.
    A team I seem to remember Notts beat 0-3.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast