+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Mussel/C0ckle man

The Mussel/C0ckle man

Who remembers the C0ckle mon? Used to visit the pubs on a Saturday night.

Attachment 15836

It's hard to believe that a bloke actually visited pubs selling fish from a basket. Was this still going on before the pubs were virusly closed down?

I walk down to my local whelk stall on Sundays to buy my fresh seafood. I always get there early before the tourists arrive. A huge bonus living by the seaside.

I used to regularly visit the seafood stall in Bham market. I always bought whelks, flippin love em with vinegar. I'm yet to find a woman who likes em though, the wife says they look disgusting. Mind ya I cant see why blokes eat jellied eels , now THEY are disgusting.

I used to get cockles from a man who would call into a pub in Halesowen. I seem to remember somebody coming to other pubs I frequented. When I came down here I couldn’t believe just how popular jelled eels were. I attempted to try them once but found myself gagging when they came close to my mouth.

A complete pain in the a r s e I always thought weaving their way through a crowded pub.

I could never be sure if it was them or the bird I was with who stunk of fish!

Surely, Mick, you would have noticed if the bird you were with stunk of fish before you arrived at the pub? You must have ‘checked her out’ before you committed to spending money on her at the pub........

Quote Originally Posted by TipperaryBaggie View Post
    I walk down to my local whelk stall on Sundays to buy my fresh seafood. I always get there early before the tourists arrive. A huge bonus living by the seaside.
    Must be the 70's. Never thought of it was something to eat in a pub with a pint. Local fishmonger stocks New Zealand Green Lipped Mussels lovely with a garlic butter and a hunk of bread.

Chef at the Con Club visits Shoreham Fishmarket every Friday morning. Give him a call on Thursday with what you fancy and if they have it he'll get it and cook it for you. Love his grilled oyster in breadcrumbs mmmmmm.

There is one that goes in the Beacon Hotel in Sedgley, well he did six years ago, i think he still does.

Didn’t those blokes all work for the same firm? They all wore white coats with ‘Kershaws Super Cockle’ on as I recall. Have a feeling they were a U.K. wide operation so god knows how long them mussels had been out the water.

We still had a cockle man at our local prior to the lockdown.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)