+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Will you be clapping tonight?

O/T:- Will you be clapping tonight?

Well, this doctor won't be and has told the Guardian exactly why:-

What I don’t find nice, and I really don’t need, is people clapping. I don’t need rainbows. I don’t care if people clap until their hands bleed with rainbows tattooed on their faces. I don’t even (whisper it) need Colonel Tom, lovely man as he clearly is.

I know many of my colleagues appreciate the clapping, saying that they feel moved and grateful, that the coming together of the community to support the NHS warms the heart. There are others, like me, whose response is that it is a sentimental distraction from the issues facing us.

Even those who liked it at the beginning are becoming wary of the creeping clapping fascism, the competition to make the most obvious and noisiest display, the shaming of non-clappers. Some argue that it unites us, that we’re all in this together. But when, for whatever complex reasons, we hear that poorer areas have double the death rate, with people from ethnic minorities disproportionately affected, I think: are we really in this together? Maybe people should clap a bit louder in inner-city Birmingham than in Surrey.

Are we still allowed to complain about poor resources and potentially unsafe working conditions now we’ve had clapping, rainbows, free doughnuts and a centenarian walking round his garden for us? How dare we?

The NHS is not a charity and it isn’t staffed by heroes. It has been run into the ground by successive governments and now we are reaping the rewards of that neglect, on the background of the public health impact of years of rampant inequality in the UK.

The coronavirus crisis has shone a light on lots of good and bad things in this country. It is of course to be welcomed that key workers, including those for the NHS and social care, are being increasingly valued. I hope the reality is dawning that immigrants and BAME staff are v i t a l to the NHS and we couldn’t manage without them.

But don’t feel you need to clap. Enough with the rainbows. When this ends, people need to show their value of key-working staff in practical ways; pay them enough to be able to live in our cities, and recognise, support and welcome immigrant staff who prop this country up. Listen to the views of NHS workers when they raise concerns, address the culture of blame and bureaucracy. Even my colleagues who still appreciate the clapping will bang a saucepan to that.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 21-05-2020 at 05:26 PM.

Maybe the public display of support inc Sir Tom was a factor in getting the right thing done with regards to NHS fees scrapped for overseas staff.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    Maybe the public display of support inc Sir Tom was a factor in getting the right thing done with regards to NHS fees scrapped for overseas staff.
    Maybe, although it sounds more like it's because Tory MPs joined the other parties in saying that it wasn't right.

If it was the public display of support, it wouldn't have been turned down in the first place, surely?

Quote Originally Posted by pingu_pie View Post
    Maybe, although it sounds more like it's because Tory MPs joined the other parties in saying that it wasn't right.

If it was the public display of support, it wouldn't have been turned down in the first place, surely?
    Maybe it is that very public display of support that gave the Tory MPs the cajoles to rebel.

Glad there's been a U-turn but sometimes wonder what planet some are on when all that is needed really, and at no great cost in the scheme of things, is to simply do the right thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    Maybe, but whether you like him or loathe him, I would give Piers Morgan a lot of credit for forcing that decision. He has quite rightly held the government to account on many big issues during this crisis, including this one.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    Well, this doctor won't be and has told the Guardian exactly why:-

What I don’t find nice, and I really don’t need, is people clapping. I don’t need rainbows. I don’t care if people clap until their hands bleed with rainbows tattooed on their faces. I don’t even (whisper it) need Colonel Tom, lovely man as he clearly is.

I know many of my colleagues appreciate the clapping, saying that they feel moved and grateful, that the coming together of the community to support the NHS warms the heart. There are others, like me, whose response is that it is a sentimental distraction from the issues facing us.

Even those who liked it at the beginning are becoming wary of the creeping clapping fascism, the competition to make the most obvious and noisiest display, the shaming of non-clappers. Some argue that it unites us, that we’re all in this together. But when, for whatever complex reasons, we hear that poorer areas have double the death rate, with people from ethnic minorities disproportionately affected, I think: are we really in this together? Maybe people should clap a bit louder in inner-city Birmingham than in Surrey.

Are we still allowed to complain about poor resources and potentially unsafe working conditions now we’ve had clapping, rainbows, free doughnuts and a centenarian walking round his garden for us? How dare we?

The NHS is not a charity and it isn’t staffed by heroes. It has been run into the ground by successive governments and now we are reaping the rewards of that neglect, on the background of the public health impact of years of rampant inequality in the UK.

The coronavirus crisis has shone a light on lots of good and bad things in this country. It is of course to be welcomed that key workers, including those for the NHS and social care, are being increasingly valued. I hope the reality is dawning that immigrants and BAME staff are v i t a l to the NHS and we couldn’t manage without them.

But don’t feel you need to clap. Enough with the rainbows. When this ends, people need to show their value of key-working staff in practical ways; pay them enough to be able to live in our cities, and recognise, support and welcome immigrant staff who prop this country up. Listen to the views of NHS workers when they raise concerns, address the culture of blame and bureaucracy. Even my colleagues who still appreciate the clapping will bang a saucepan to that.
    I will join in because of the bit where he says "I know many of my colleagues appreciate the clapping, saying that they feel moved and grateful, that the coming together of the community to support the NHS warms the heart". I agree with a lot else of what he says, but if clapping once a week does mean something to a few on the front line, I don't mind taking part.

We don't clap here because we haven't made a dogs dinner of it. I completely agree with him.

... so the government have got some things wrong - it's just what happens when confronted by the equivalent of a war. Morgan has become the equivalent of Lord Haw-Haw, running things down in an attempt to lead the lemmings who follow him to provoke anti-government thinking; actually for his own grandisement. Any government will face up to mistakes. In the meantime there is a war to be won. Our population needs to develop more spine than is currently being shown as we are in for a long fight. Morgan is a negative influence scoring easy short term points. He's unlikely to be crossing a road in front of my car; more's the pity ...

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackHorse View Post
    ... so the government have got some things wrong - it's just what happens when confronted by the equivalent of a war.
    Maybe, but a government with dynamism, forward thinking and a strong and decisive leadership are far more likely to win the war than a government with an indecisive, bumbling bullsh!tter in charge.

Guess which government we've got?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackHorse View Post
    ... so the government have got some things wrong - ...
    A big admission from the Hoss. Somewhat lessened by the confession that he’d run Piers Morgan over if he had the chance, but let’s take the victories where we can.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast