+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Who Am I Quiz (No 59)

Who Am I Quiz (No 59)

I'm going to keep going with these until someone catches great_fire. Who am I?

I spent most of my time at the highest level but didn't win any major trophies.

I didn't play at Millmoor or at NYS.

I represented my country and played for clubs in 3 countries.

At one club I formed a formidable strike force with a very alliterative partner.

Tom Finney
    Gary Lineker

Johnny Haynes
    Matt Le Tissier

Quote Originally Posted by Ericsladkilnhurst View Post
    Tom Finney
    Gary Lineker
    Bloody 'ell Ericslad. It takes me all day to think of the clues and you go and knock me out with the first punch

I am Tom Finney

I spent most of my time at the highest level but didn't win any major trophies. 14 seasons at PNE, 12 of them in Division 1.

I didn't play at Millmoor or at NYS. Played in Division 2 1949/50 and 1950/51 but got promoted back to Division 1 just as the Millers were being promoted to Division 2.

I represented my country and played for clubs in 3 countries. 473 games for PNE, 1 for Toronto in Canada and 1 for Distillery in NI when I came out of retirement to play against Benfica in the European Cup.

At one club I formed a formidable strike force with a very alliterative partner. Tommy Thompson at PNE.

Unpublished clues

I have tentative connections to Peter O'Toole and Tom Hanks. Serving in Egypt in the war played against Omar Sharif who was supporting actor to O'Toole in Lawrence of Arabia. Tom Hanks starred in the movie Splash, The Splash being the name of the statue dedicated to me.

Throughout my career I scored goals at a rate of better than one every 3 games. 240 in 550 for club and country.

I was the first footballer to do something twice. Win Footballer of the Year in 1953/4 and 1956/7.

I scored a couple of goals in a place better know for bombers. In a friendly for England against USA held at Yankee Stadium, home of The New York Yankees also known as The Bronx Bombers

You could throw the kitchen sink at me and I'd be able to cope. I was a qualified plumber, in fact my Dad wouldn't let me become a pro footballer until I completed my apprenticeship.

Sorry Cam, but Tom Finney came to mind, with his long playing career at Preston, then I started looking at clubs he played for.
    Went also for Gary Lineker with him being at leicester City, then came along such good players has Haynes & Matt Le Tissier.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    I'm going to keep going with these until someone catches great_fire. Who am I?
    Think you'll be down to part timers in the Ismithian League by the time that happens!!