+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lock down - The Best And Worst!

The best of it - The NHS workers and shop staff and drivers etc without doubt.

For me personally it’s been unbelievable due to the massive upsurge in trade with people buying sports equipment to play at home etc.

The negative.

The idiots who abuse key workers.

The idiots who wouldn’t stick to the rules.

Repetitive media questioning.

I had to speak to my consultant today following MRI scans on my shoulder and knee.

He told me that the inside info is that the virus is much diminished in most areas now and that in six weeks they are expecting life to be pretty normal again albeit a new normal.

Stolen.

For a small amount of perspective at this moment, imagine you were born in 1900. When you are 14, World War I starts, and ends on your 18th birthday with 22 million people killed. Later in the year, a Spanish Flu epidemic hits the planet and runs until you are 20. Fifty million people die from it in those two years. Yes, 50 million.
    When you're 29, the Great Depression begins. Unemployment hits 25%, global GDP drops 27%. That runs until you are 33. The country nearly collapses along with the world economy. When you turn 39, World War II starts. You aren’t even over the hill yet.
    When you're 41, the United States is fully pulled into WWII. Between your 39th and 45th birthday, 75 million people perish in the war and the Holocaust kills six million. At 52, the Korean War starts and five million perish.
    At 64 the Vietnam War begins, and it doesn’t end for many years. Four million people die in that conflict. Approaching your 62nd birthday you have the Cuban Missile Crisis, a tipping point in the Cold War. Life on our planet, as we know it, could well have ended. Great leaders prevented that from happening.
    As you turn 75, the Vietnam War finally ends. Think of everyone on the planet born in 1900. How do you survive all of that? A kid in 1985 didn’t think their 85 year old grandparent understood how hard school was. Yet those grandparents (and now great grandparents) survived through everything listed above.
    Perspective is an amazing art. Let’s try and keep things in perspective. Let’s be smart, help each other out, and we will get through all of this. In the history of the world, there has never been a storm that lasted. This too, shall pass.
    Last edited by goodlordmurphy; 29-05-2020 at 05:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by goodlordmurphy View Post
    Stolen.

For a small amount of perspective at this moment, imagine you were born in 1900. When you are 14, World War I starts, and ends on your 18th birthday with 22 million people killed. Later in the year, a Spanish Flu epidemic hits the planet and runs until you are 20. Fifty million people die from it in those two years. Yes, 50 million.
    When you're 29, the Great Depression begins. Unemployment hits 25%, global GDP drops 27%. That runs until you are 33. The country nearly collapses along with the world economy. When you turn 39, World War II starts. You aren’t even over the hill yet.
    When you're 41, the United States is fully pulled into WWII. Between your 39th and 45th birthday, 75 million people perish in the war and the Holocaust kills six million. At 52, the Korean War starts and five million perish.
    At 64 the Vietnam War begins, and it doesn’t end for many years. Four million people die in that conflict. Approaching your 62nd birthday you have the Cuban Missile Crisis, a tipping point in the Cold War. Life on our planet, as we know it, could well have ended. Great leaders prevented that from happening.
    As you turn 75, the Vietnam War finally ends. Think of everyone on the planet born in 1900. How do you survive all of that? A kid in 1985 didn’t think their 85 year old grandparent understood how hard school was. Yet those grandparents (and now great grandparents) survived through everything listed above.
    Perspective is an amazing art. Let’s try and keep things in perspective. Let’s be smart, help each other out, and we will get through all of this. In the history of the world, there has never been a storm that lasted. This too, shall pass.
    I think that is the best post I have ever seen on the site GLM. Well done and thank you.

Thanks Yarm not my own but it made me sit up too.

Racing will start soon and start us off on the road to norm...

Seems a bit surreal GLM with the Guineas next weekend without any prep runs. The whole of the summer program looks odd as well.

Stolen.

You’ve just described my grandad Eric born again in January 1900.

Lied about his age to go away to fight when he was 17.

Died in 71 but what a 71 years.

Stolen.

Born in the 50's in England I think of myself as part of the 'Lucky Generation.'

We've always had food on the table, a roof above our heads and a doctor to see if we needed one. But by far and away the biggest factors, I've never seen my dad go off to war, I've never been asked to go to war and I've never had to wave my kids goodbye as they go off to war.

Quote Originally Posted by TipperaryBaggie View Post
    Seems a bit surreal GLM with the Guineas next weekend without any prep runs. The whole of the summer program looks odd as well.
    I had a look at the French closed shop not impressed but then again never have been with French racing, had a good time of it in Ireland making some good money at Thurles behind closed doors on 21st March, seems an age ago now.

Good luck to you now we are under way again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)