+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: EFL: How coronavirus is affecting lower-league clubs

EFL: How coronavirus is affecting lower-league clubs

Quote Originally Posted by Oldstripy View Post
    it is a very long article.
    Not from where I'm sitting!

Well, for a BBC article it was actually quite good. As much as I know there will be casualties in the footballing world due to the pandemic I think we should take solace from the fact that it might actually help the industry restructure from the bottom up in a more competitive and financially sustainable way.

The reporting of wage caps and 20 man squads in EFL 1&2 are a great move in my view and whilst I agree there is an element of it possibly opening the gap between the haves (PL, Champ) and have not's it will put an emphasis on developing home grown talent which can only be a good thing.

Also, players at L1 level and below will now be falling over themselves to get any kind of contract they can which hands power back to the clubs. This should benefit Notts because if you were a player at NL level and you had offers from a few clubs and one of them was Notts, you would think joining Notts would be a more attractive option. I don't mean that to sound like I'm making us out to be a massive club and all that b0ll0x but just think we were would a popular choice.

I had a call from my contact at Aldershot yesterday who suggested that they have been having to operate a small squad utilising youth for quite some time now so this situation is actually working in their favour as they are also currently applying to open up two more youth development centres in the greater London area. He also asked if we had any decent CB's out of contract, I told him they were all on looooong terms so bogger off!

Interestingly I also heard a rumour yesterday that Dover are on the verge of asking the NL to relegate them because they won't be able to afford to compete in the NL next season. Like I say just a rumour but don't think they will be the only clubs thinking similar thoughts right now.

They will probably just let the EFL die off naturally, other leagues to be semi-pro and keep the Premiership Dream alive.

£3m average salary per player says it all - and that's the average. No wage caps there.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    They will probably just let the EFL die off naturally, other leagues to be semi-pro and keep the Premiership Dream alive.

£3m average salary per player says it all - and that's the average. No wage caps there.
    God, that's depressing, isn't it.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to assume that the Premier League will use the current situation as another chance to try to get b teams into the league.

Not a bad article. It mentions that Bishop has an offer on the table. Where is this offer from?

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    Not a bad article. It mentions that Bishop has an offer on the table. Where is this offer from?
    He spoke about it in an interview on BBC Nottingham Sport, but he doesn't want to name the team or say if it's playing or coaching.

I thought he came across very well actually. I don't know if it's because he's an all action, tough tackling midfielder or what, but I wasn't expecting him to be so articulate.

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    He spoke about it in an interview on BBC Nottingham Sport, but he doesn't want to name the team or say if it's playing or coaching.

I thought he came across very well actually. I don't know if it's because he's an all action, tough tackling midfielder or what, but I wasn't expecting him to be so articulate.
    I just searched for and watched it. I would be interested to know who wants him as he absolutely management material.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    I just searched for and watched it. I would be interested to know who wants him as he absolutely management material.
    Yeah I thought the same. Seems like our dressing room is sorted now but after listening to that I wouldn't mind him in an Alan Smith coaching/very occasionally playing role.

With him, Doyle, JoB and others we would be well on the way to recreating that 'team full of captains' dressing room culture that was so successful for us in the Munto season.