+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Meadow Lane Capacity - Social distancing

Quote Originally Posted by MagicBoots View Post
    Sadly I completely agree with the part "at all times".

Yes, we could easily restrict the attendance to 3000 (i.e say 2500 (season ticket holders only) + 500 away fans) and we could easily socially distance as well, by alternate rows, and grouping households together. By opening up all stands we could easily get far more than 3000.

The issues come at half time, when we all need a comfort break, and how do we get 3000 people in and out the way we do now. There would need to be a phased entry an exit policy, i.e. we could not all turn up at 2.50, and all leave at 4.40. It could mean we have allocated entry and exit slots. While it works for getting in, can you imagine when we are losing 0-4 at home with a poor ref, then, this is going to be a try of patience.

(I need to add I never leave a game before the final whistle, but would I wait for a further 20 mins until my allocated exit time in these circumstances .....hmmmmm)
    We couldn't easily get far more than 3,000. It is not just the seats to be used but it is getting access to them. People would have to move down to the furthest seat and effectively stay there for the whole game unless they squeeze past people. Can't see how it can be safely done.

Can't see that we would get enough stewards, no way would I want to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    We couldn't easily get far more than 3,000. It is not just the seats to be used but it is getting access to them. People would have to move down to the furthest seat and effectively stay there for the whole game unless they squeeze past people. Can't see how it can be safely done.

Can't see that we would get enough stewards, no way would I want to do it.
    Yes, good point well made.

On paper, we could socially distance, but in practice, impossible.

This problem reminds me of the boarding an aircraft paradox. I have forever wondered why they never boarded window seats first, as there are so many delays on boarding. When the person wanting the window seat comes last, the whole boarding process halts as we wait for the guys in the middle/aisle seats to get up and let in window seater. So much easier to board the window seats first, then the middle, then the aisle.

I regularly fly and I asked about this on a flight a few years back and they said its been tried many times before, and indeed is something airlines are desperate to do - but the public do not like it. Basically, although it means faster boarding and a quicker takeoff, the downside is getting everyone to buy into it. If some decide to only go on final call, then the whole system breaks down, so they ditched it.

This reminds me of the point you make.

So even if we are given a seat and a time to get there, who is going to follow.

And then the week after we have an Away match.........

Edit.... Hang on, I've just had a thought. If ML is capable of this, maybe all NL fixtures could be played at our "Neutral venue". We'd make a fortune on the Pie sales...
    Last edited by Woodsetts_Pie; 23-05-2020 at 07:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsetts_Pie View Post
    And then the week after we have an Away match.........

Edit.... Hang on, I've just had a thought. If ML is capable of this, maybe all NL fixtures could be played at our "Neutral venue". We'd make a fortune on the Pie sales...
    Social distancing with even a 2 or 3,000 crowd would be impossible so I think that we will not see "live" matches until a cure or vaccine is found. On a side note I wonder if anyone has looked into selling face masks in club colours? money to be made for charity?

You can start with allowing only a few hundred in and see how that works, two families per row between each isle would mean nobody has to squeeze past one another.

Are we really expecting many many months, possibly over a year, even years of no fans whatsoever, then all of a sudden Old Trafford goes from zero fans allowed in - to 80,000 as if the whole virus thing has gone away over night? Every other aspect of life returning back to 'normal' will have restrictions, baby steps, why would football be the exception?

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    You can start with allowing only a few hundred in and see how that works, two families per row between each isle would mean nobody has to squeeze past one another.

Are we really expecting many many months, possibly over a year, even years of no fans whatsoever, then all of a sudden Old Trafford goes from zero fans allowed in - to 80,000 as if the whole virus thing has gone away over night? Every other aspect of life returning back to 'normal' will have restrictions, baby steps, why would football be the exception?
    As long as me and my lad are included in the "few hundred", I don't have a problem with that.

I agree with this logic. Just like what is happening with society in general then for football there should be a phased return to normal and steps taken inline with the governments COVID 19 Alert Level.

To get a few hundred fans in it would almost be like a lottery whereby season ticket holders could be drawn out each game until everyone had had the opportunity to go to a live game. Then open it up to non-season ticket holders on a first come first served basis for a number of games.

This is where the football authorities will need to work with clubs and the government to create a suitable system which an example below such as;

Level 5- No sport
    Level 4- No sport (This is where we are now moving towards Level 3)
    Level 3 - Covid Epidemic is in circulation = As social distancing measures apply then BCD games like Germany with televised and streamed games on a pay per view basis and maybe few hundred fans allowed in stadiums on a strict social distancing measures.
    Level 2 - Covid is present in the UK but the number of cases and transmission is low = Minimum social distancing could equate to allowing stadiums to open to a capacity that provides 3 seats per fan (so two seats either side are clear)
    Level 1 - Covid is not present in the UK = All football stadiums are able to open and operate at their full capacity.
    Last edited by MAD_MAGPIE; 23-05-2020 at 09:28 AM.

One thing we dont know yet is when the new season will start it might not be for another 4-5 months.

Let me be straight to the point lower league football couldnt survive on social distancing crowds it would kill them off, now if we bring Fullarton back there wouldn't be a problem you'd get more people in your barbers than the ground !

Obviously it is not an easy decision to make but it is the same with restaurants/bars it is going to be difficult for them as an example to make a living which means more people out of work.

In short social distancing would not work at football I mean who would you select to go to games etc, if you have half way line view but you are then put in the top corner of a stand, toilet breaks at HT and as others have said getting in & out of the ground it would cost the clubs more for stewards as they would work longer.

Quote Originally Posted by ancientpie View Post
    On a side note I wonder if anyone has looked into selling face masks in club colours? money to be made for charity?
    Oi! I’ve already got the rights to this, see post #4!

I agree that it would be ideal to start small and build it up, but practicalities are huge as Legs77 has said. Two families per row means they won't squeeze past one another ... depends where they are in the ground. How would you decide who can attend?

People can't wait 10 seconds in a supermarket while you choose something from a shelf - do you think that suddenly they will be happy sitting for half an hour until it is time for their row to leave?

Sorry, simply can't see it working - but I hope that a solution can be found. One might be that social distancing can be reduced and just one seat left empty, masks could help when people have to get past others.

Something you might not have thought have, and may even laugh at and dismiss is that I understand that if churches re-open in July, singing may not be allowed as that could be high-risk. So, no singing everyone!

I saw something which said that if you thought making a decision to close things was difficult, decisions regarding re-opening / re-starting will be much harder.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast