+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Skippy Sunday - 15 years on

Skippy Sunday - 15 years on

What a day! As 'dead rubbers' go this was one magnificent win. I still smile whenever I think of the faces on the Celtic hoardes all over Fir Park collectively turning white as those two goals hit the net.

A great end to the season

Name:  cuddle.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  76.7 KB

....and as LSM said "Skippy Sunday"

Too true ....glorious end to the game. Shellick were the architects of their own downfall. They got more and more nervous as time went on. I really wish the, grammatically destitute and OF suck up, media would drop the 'helicopter' bit and adopt the correct FP usage. Superb afternoon!

It quite rightly ranks in my Top 5 games attended. Just because of the sheer, unadulterated joy of dancing up and down in between one half of 'not so smug' OF fans. The only downside was knowing the neanderthals of Pre-Sevco were luvving the day too.

There was no downside to that day. We stopped Celtic winning the league at our ground in the most gut wrenching fashion possible for them. If Rangers hadn't done their bit and won their game and thus the league then our win would have been pointless as Celtic would still have won it. After that game and for a good few months I had Rangers fans that I knew saying "thanks for helping us" as I'm sure plenty of other Well fans did and I always replied (especially if there were any Celtic fans in earshot) "no problem, it was a pleasure...and thanks for doing your bit too".

Quote Originally Posted by LawSteelman View Post
    There was no downside to that day. We stopped Celtic winning the league at our ground in the most gut wrenching fashion possible for them. If Rangers hadn't done their bit and won their game and thus the league then our win would have been pointless as Celtic would still have won it. After that game and for a good few months I had Rangers fans that I knew saying "thanks for helping us" as I'm sure plenty of other Well fans did and I always replied (especially if there were any Celtic fans in earshot) "no problem, it was a pleasure...and thanks for doing your bit too".
    I thought we'd had it when Foran duffed his shot; even then McDonald's effort - more skilful than he ever got credit for - took ages to loop into the top corner. Rab Douglas didn't even move, let alone attempt a save.
    And I still think McD should have passed when he scored the second!

You're right about the second goal. I remember thinking he was being too greedy as he shaped to shoot. Could hardly believe it when the ball found the net.

Quote Originally Posted by seasideboy View Post
    They got more and more nervous as time went on.
    I've never been to another game where you could literally feel the atmosphere change, like an electrical storm coming on, so much as Celtic became more and more nervous and we have the feeling that something exceptional was about to happen.

It was Gerry Britton(still can't believe he ever played for us!) that was in the best position to receive the pass had McDonald squared it. God knows how he would have fared with that chance though. The second goal was better than the first for me. Obviously because it was a winning goal but also because that all but confirmed that Celtic wouldn't be winning any title that day and the sight of the South Stand rapidly emptying as the majority of them and the home end infiltrators who were hanging about 'just in case' realised the game was up and they started streaming out leaving celebrating Well fans and the few remaining Celtic fans sitting balling their eyes out was an absolute joy to behold.

The while joy of that day was the way we stopped the Old Firm winning the league at FP - that obviously needed it to be won elsewhere so I was delighted Rangers did their bit.

I spent a lunch break at work watching it with a Celtic fan, he took everything with much better grace than I would have had in a reverse of the situation!

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)