+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: FAO Frog

The night we erected the roadbridge was a story.
    Road closure: check
    Supertram closure: check
    British waterways closure: check
    British rail closure: check
    Team of erectors: check
    400 ton crane in position: check
    Road beams on site: check

Crane driver raises jib to begin lifting and his alarms start going off.
    YEB overhead cables 100 metres away not turned off (danger of arcing): no check lol
    Job called off and everyone goes home.
    No wonder I'm grey :-)

Blooming ‘eck , Sota, that’s bridge-building on steroids!! Was this part of your ‘steel erector’ career - and Mrs Sota doesn’t look the steel toe-caps and hard hat type from Facebook pictures...?

Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    The night we erected the roadbridge was a story.
    Road closure: check
    Supertram closure: check
    British waterways closure: check
    British rail closure: check
    Team of erectors: check
    400 ton crane in position: check
    Road beams on site: check

Crane driver raises jib to begin lifting and his alarms start going off.
    YEB overhead cables 100 metres away not turned off (danger of arcing): no check lol
    Job called off and everyone goes home.
    No wonder I'm grey :-)
    Did you by any chance hire cranes from PP Engineering in Rotherham and, if so, did you know PP? He was a very old school friend of mine who sadly died last year.

Ha ha CT, all true. Mrs Sota sews a tangled thread for sure mate :-)

Oh heck! so sorry to hear this!
    We knew Phil well and used his cranes often.
    Very upset to hear this. He loved his Jags, did Phil.
    Last edited by sota; 24-05-2020 at 01:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Must be Grist, that's the same design as mine In yet another coincidence, I share the same birthday as Donald Bailey.

CT - mine is sometimes covered in winter and actually washed away after really heavy rain in January and I had to go and rescue it from downstream. Today you can hardly see it as all the flag lilies have grown through Spring.

Brin - it's made from 20+ year old cedar decking and is well worn but pretty good considering what it's been through.
    I can imagine that getting washed away when that creek fills with snowmelt water in spring!

Mine is similar in that it’s over a creek. Fortunately it’s about 10 feet above the water at normal times and even when the creek is raging it’s still 5 feet or so clear. UNfortunately it also sits above a small waterfall dropping into a pond/swim-hole which looks like a small Niagara when the rains come and it’s eroding the bridge footings. I’ve just had it shored up with a new 6x4 redwood post and a lot of concrete!

Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    Oh heck! so sorry to hear this!
    We knew Phil well and used his cranes often.
    Very upset to hear this. He loved his Jags, did Phil.
    Goodness, sorry to be the bearer of this news, Sota and for causing upset. My apologies for introducing it so bluntly . I’ve been in touch with one of his daughters and there’s some stuff on her FB page. PM or email me if you want more.

CT, thanks mate, it was a shock to hear, but thank you for letting us know. Phil worked so hard to achieve what he did. He was always honest and fair and his workers did him proud. I'll post some photos of our/his work one day, we certainly left our mark in Yorkshire :-)

CT, I sent you a message but I'm not great with social media so here it is again ..Hello mate, I hope you are all well. The stuff I posted on Millersmad is all true and we are very sad to hear of Phil's passing, but thank you for letting us know. Maybe I shouldn't be so honest and open on Millersmad, but life is too short to worry about it eh? Cheers mate and hope to have a beer or whisky together when our daughter moves over to your coast ��

Name:  gt ponton.JPG
Views: 162
Size:  40.4 KB

GT Ponton footbridge, about 100 miles south on the A1. The original bridge had major welding failures so we built this new one. It made national news back then. Make sure you duck when driving under it lol

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast