+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: FAO Frog

It's a little project so that we can get straight out onto the garden instead of having to come down the stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by millertop View Post
    edit I can see it now in other pics
    So is it actually going to be a bridge Frog?
    I only saw the bit near house, thought it was just some sort of pagoda
    Doing a good job
    Yes mate. It could be finished by the end of the week. Mid you tomorrow will be lost as Peri is coming for lunch. The next batch of Yorkeshire ale is ready so I may have to barrier it off

Very impressive Frog!

Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    The night we erected the roadbridge was a story.
    Road closure: check
    Supertram closure: check
    British waterways closure: check
    British rail closure: check
    Team of erectors: check
    400 ton crane in position: check
    Road beams on site: check

Crane driver raises jib to begin lifting and his alarms start going off.
    YEB overhead cables 100 metres away not turned off (danger of arcing): no check lol
    Job called off and everyone goes home.
    No wonder I'm grey :-)
    This reminded me of an air conditioning job I did in the centre of nottingham on a Saturday night. 6 weeks of signage to close the roads at midnight. The crane turned up looking like something out of Thunderbirds. Flashing lights were a great magnet for the drunken folk emtying out of the pubs.
    The Ancher man didn't show up but one of the fitters had done it several times and the driver was happy to go ahead. Then a guy who was the project manager for the client unexpectedly turned up and asked to see all documentation from everyone on site.
    Within 10 minutes we were packing up as he called the job off!
    We had to do it all over again the following week but this time without the guy who called it off.

Quote Originally Posted by gm_gm View Post
    Very impressive Frog!
    Thanks gm. Got to go and do some screwing

Make sure you put a pic up when it’s finished

Forgot to mention that one of our bridges was the longest ever load to travel on a British A road at the time (probably still is)
    . UTM.
    Last edited by sota; 29-05-2020 at 05:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    Forgot to mention that one of our bridges was the longest ever load to travel on a British A road at the time (probably still is)
    . UTM.
    Need you over here Sota. Google West Seattle Bridge for the gory details. Only viable route from West Seattle into the city. High rise concrete structure that carries 100,000 vehicles/day. During an inspection a couple of months ago a guy under it phoned in "We need to shut this down now". Less than half way through it's expected lifespan. Don't think my old decking and a few nails will fix it

Ha ha. The journey on the way to the motorway was often quite destructive. Going around some roundabouts, the bridges would take down signs and walls etc at the back end despite the rear steering bogey. Once we started churning them out though, the signs etc were hinged by the council so they could drop down. We demolished one blokes wall so often that he agreed to let us build it back to a lower height so the sections would skim over the top. For a nice lump in all cases obviously :-) This was in Donny usually on the way to the A1.
    Last edited by sota; 30-05-2020 at 02:17 AM.

All but finished the bridge! Enjoyable project during the lockdown.

The girls feel confident on it but I'll have to wait unti the outlaws come before we can do a proper load test.

Name:  20200603_201123.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  109.6 KB
    Name:  20200603_201245.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  107.7 KB

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast