+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Birmingham accent

The Birmingham accent

I'm not originally from these parts but have picked up a bit of a black country twang and I personally have grown fond of it.

What I cannot stand is the Brummie accent. That lazy, nasal, arrogant drawl that the idiot Piers Morgan attempted to replicate a couple of weeks ago. And that was supposed to be taking the mick out of a chap from Wolverhampton.

Really gets my goat when people from outside the area think the Brummie accent is all encompassing. It's not even similar.

Two completely different accents and I know which one I prefer.

You're having a larrrrrrffff 😡

Quote Originally Posted by BARBaggies82 View Post
    I'm not originally from these parts but have picked up a bit of a black country twang and I personally have grown fond of it.

What I cannot stand is the Brummie accent. That lazy, nasal, arrogant drawl that the idiot Piers Morgan attempted to replicate a couple of weeks ago. And that was supposed to be taking the mick out of a chap from Wolverhampton.

Really gets my goat when people from outside the area think the Brummie accent is all encompassing. It's not even similar.

Two completely different accents and I know which one I prefer.

You're having a larrrrrrffff ��
    Or you're having a barrrff after sitting on the grarrrss that's up the garden parrrfff. Living in North Wales now and am often asked if I'm a Brummie, I quickly put 'em right and they mek sure they dow ask agen
    Last edited by Baggies_Boy_Tony; 23-05-2020 at 12:53 PM.

I worked with an Irish guy from the Republic. He'd been here for about 4 years I think, but he told me that eventually over time as he went home people used to tell him he was talking like Benny off Crossroads

The Brummie accent is vile.

On a par for me with Scouse which I absolutely loath.

It used to make me smile how angry some of you got when that twit on some forgettable advert referred to his missus as 'cupcake' in a terrible accent.

I could not believe how Brummie I sounded when I played back the phone message I had to leave on my works phone. It was awful. The trouble with the accent is that no matter how intelligent and intellectual you may be you tend to sound like a moron. But I still dislike the Scouse accent more. i would have preferred to have a real Texan drawl.

40 years since I lived there and I still have an accent which most recognise as Brummie. I do usually correct them with a smile on my face.

Noticeable how in BC we emphasise some letters Londoners almost ignore. We say pen al tee Cockneys say pen al ee and how much we emphasise the g's as in ringing and singing. My woman of Kent wife is always pointing this out to me
    Last edited by 9goals2hattricks3pen; 24-05-2020 at 04:26 PM.

I`m a Brummie, born and bred in Handsworth, proud to be a Brummie and a Baggie. Not sure how many of you know but Birmingham has different dialects between districts, I can tell if someone is from Kingstanding, Castle Bromwich, Northfield etc.

Pretty much the same as the Black Country as a ****ager spent many happy hours in West Brom (Gala Baths, Adelphi etc) But I worked with a guy from Cradley near Lye couldn`t understand a word he said.
    Last edited by mcronniep; 30-05-2020 at 08:47 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by mcronniep View Post
    I`m a Brummie, born and bred in Handsworth, proud to be a Brummie and a Baggie. Not sure how many of you know but Birmingham has different dialects between districts, I can tell if someone is from Kingstanding, Castle Bromwich, Northfield etc.

Pretty much the same as the Black Country as a ****ager spent many happy hours in West Brom (Gala Baths, Adelphi etc) But I worked with a guy from Cradley near Lye couldn`t understand a word he said.
    Yow mean understond

I lived in Handsworth until I was eleven. Not sure if I still have the accent or converted to a Gloucester accent. I never listen to myself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)