+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dominic Cummings

Quote Originally Posted by kettering_baggie View Post
    If I had genuine concern regarding a member of my family and dealing with it in the best way involved breaking government guidelines, then I would. By all accounts Mr Cummings is not the most pleasant of men but if he took that decision in the best interests of his family, then so be it; I am not possessing of enough information to pontificate otherwise.
    I agree Kets.......I dislike Cummings but roll my eyes as our resident Left Wing zealot starts wading in!

If I had a wife with Covid and a small child and the main family support was 240 miles away and I could live close for a period I would probably do that like Cummings did.

As long as he drove all the way with no stops and didn’t go into services or stop for fuel then I don’t see the problem.

He’s still a horrible little t w a t though and no doubt learned most of his tactics from Alistair Campbell the original s h I t stirring spin master.

So it's OK to tell the public one thing but because you are chief advisor to the government you can do effectively what you want.? The least he and invisible Boris should have done is accept what he did was wrong instead he tells everyone he doesn't care and Boris hides behind another member of his cabinet, what sort of message does this send out to people during this crucial stage of coming out of lock down and trying to avoid a second wave of infections.

I’m confused over the ‘breaking of rules’ element. I thought children at risk, in terms of a parent/s having symptoms, was deemed ‘exceptional circumstances’. Thus permitting his taking to a ‘safe location’. I guess he was fortunate enough to have accommodating family to provide the care. (Rather than seek NHS assistance I’m case of child care need.
    There seems to be so many accompanying stories in the media. Without the full knowledge AND truth, I find it difficult to criticise.
    Would I have done the same....I think so

Quote Originally Posted by saltnshake View Post
    So it's OK to tell the public one thing but because you are chief advisor to the government you can do effectively what you want.? The least he and invisible Boris should have done is accept what he did was wrong instead he tells everyone he doesn't care and Boris hides behind another member of his cabinet, what sort of message does this send out to people during this crucial stage of coming out of lock down and trying to avoid a second wave of infections.

I agree! It’s irrelevant what me or the rest of joe public do - we are not in government power and lead by example. For example - I am sure most have claimed for something they should not have knowingly done on expenses etc - facts are if this were an MP or a person in power doing this then they should be sacked immediately. That’s the difference.

I liked Boris pre pandemic and still don’t dislike him now! Facts are though he’s handled the pandemic crisis badly and too slow resulting in the worst deaths in Europe and probably soon the worst deaths in the world per population so even worse than the US. The fact that Boris is not around hardly at all does not help his case!

Boris get strong as a good many will start to turn against you. I for one wanted you in power but not impressed so far which is a shame as think there are some excellent people in your government!

He drove 260 miles with Covid symptoms to take his child to stay with his ageing parents? I understood that all visits to vulnerable people were banned ? I thought this was one of the few things that was clear hence most of the population leaving shopping on the doorstep of elderly parents etc? So did he drive a round trip of over 500 miles without stopping? This really stinks on several levels but I agree he won’t resign or be sacked

Quote Originally Posted by stripes39 View Post
    He drove 260 miles with Covid symptoms to take his child to stay with his ageing parents? I understood that all visits to vulnerable people were banned ? I thought this was one of the few things that was clear hence most of the population leaving shopping on the doorstep of elderly parents etc? So did he drive a round trip of over 500 miles without stopping? This really stinks on several levels but I agree he won’t resign or be sacked

Bang on Stripes! The message to the country was to self isolate and stay away from the elderly and vulnerable. I have seen huge numbers of sons/daughters heeding this communication by talking to their elderly parents/relatives through windows/at distance which is sad! Like Greasy Jack - there can not be one rule for one and another for Joe Public!

Had Cummings any decency - he would resign!

If Cummings was worried about how to care for his 4 year old, then he made a sensible decision to seek family help. Something any parent would do. In his case, the help was quite a distance away but I don't see what he has done wrong. Government advice allowed for exceptions in order to care for family. I agree Cummings sounds a very unpleasant person and I believe he has not endeared himself to the press, which is why the press are now out for his blood. An enormous part of last night's news covered this matter, which seemed to me to be ridiculous. Surely there are more important issues for national news to cover.

Quote Originally Posted by billsbest View Post
    If Cummings was worried about how to care for his 4 year old, then he made a sensible decision to seek family help. Something any parent would do. In his case, the help was quite a distance away but I don't see what he has done wrong. Government advice allowed for exceptions in order to care for family. I agree Cummings sounds a very unpleasant person and I believe he has not endeared himself to the press, which is why the press are now out for his blood. An enormous part of last night's news covered this matter, which seemed to me to be ridiculous. Surely there are more important issues for national news to cover.

Rightly or wrongly the majority of the public will follow government advice in a crisis. Cummings had family in London so why travel on an eight hour round trip - for sure he would have stopped for petrol! Why on earth would you take a child to elderly parents when the government or better still Cummings advised against this! There can not be one rule for one and not the other!

So with the 14 day self quarantine from 8th June - if I go away then can I also use the excuse of travelling on an eight hour round trip?

PS - many have been severely ill with Coronavirus and have followed instructions to self isolate! I also know a father and son of 25 years of age in one family who both died within a week of each other of this virus and were denied close relatives at their funerals - what would they think if Cummings has a different set of rules for himself! I am sure absolutely upset and disgusted.

The guy should do the decent thing and resign! People are sick of people in power, celebs and footballers thinking they are above the law or government guidelines - I get this!
    Last edited by baggieal; 24-05-2020 at 12:29 PM.

Stay home, Protect the NHS Save lives the government slogan no doubt he
    was instrumental in designing that was rammed down our throats early in the lock down, if he needed his son looking after why did he and his wife have to travel 260 miles up the motorway with the potential of infecting other people.? Surely a man of his means and connections could of got his son to his grandparents another way, there should not be one rule for people making the rules and one for the rest of us, why should I take any notice of what I'm told when people at the top don't practise what they preach.

Households were told that in cases where there was a confirmed Covid outbreak then they should self isolate and that those in the same household suspected of it should remain in lockdown for 14 days. We were told not to visit vulnerable people period. So Cummings drives 260 miles when others are getting fined for driving 20 miles to visit vulnerable people with a son who could easily be a carrier? It really is sounding like don’t do as I do but do as I say

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)