+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting rid of the dross

I might be in the minority here, but I actually think we have a decent squad. Not going to pull any trees up with it obviously, but I reckon we have something to build on without having to replace everybody all at once. Our defence, for instance, is not the worst with a great keeper to guide them.

Instead of having them all replaced and sold and that, imagine what just 3-4 real quality signings + a new talented manager could do to our current team. That would do for me in the first window. It would do wonders.

And yes, we would have to sell some of the deadwood, that's fine.

To be honest.

A very good striker would make a massive difference to us.

And a manager that knows how to use our team.

Quote Originally Posted by lloydl26 View Post
    So you wanna get rid of 16 players in one summer and leave just 15? It’s not that easy. We’d have to keep most of the squad, get rid of Saviet, Lazaar and Colback and then look to bring in 3 players who can start and maybe another 2 with long term potential and build from there.

Players like Carroll and Dummet might not bring a lot on the pitch but they’ll make a big difference in the changing room and be able teach the new players what it means to play for Newcastle United and what it means to the fans.
    Quote Originally Posted by lloydl26 View Post
    So you wanna get rid of 16 players in one summer and leave just 15? It’s not that easy. We’d have to keep most of the squad, get rid of Saviet, Lazaar and Colback and then look to bring in 3 players who can start and maybe another 2 with long term potential and build from there.

Players like Carroll and Dummet might not bring a lot on the pitch but they’ll make a big difference in the changing room and be able teach the new players what it means to play for Newcastle United and what it means to the fans.
    So you're saying paying Andy Carrol £25,000 basic + bonuses is value for money?

You could employ 25,000 Geordies at £1000 a month (1/4 the price of Carrol) to turn up at every Training session and cheer the players on. Spend the £5000 a month on history lessons and community interaction for the new players and STILL SAVE a bassa fortune.

This is the exact reason why everyone outside the sport bashes football.

How about Bringing Rob Lee, Clarkie, Shearer, Keegan back to the club in a variety of roles and negating the need to keep over paid underachieving players on the books?

Carrol is one of the first I'd show the door. If he wasn't a Geordie NO WAY would he be withing 100miles of the club.

Admittedly ditching 16 players is not gonna happen; Dummy isn't a one of the worst we have. I wouldn't be mad if he was still at the club when the new owners come in and next season actually happens.

However:

Gayle
    Muto
    Carrol

All stealing a living. bring in 1 or 2 players who can actually score goals.

Kraft - total fraud

Elliot - Chimpo at best

Darlow - Chimpo at best

Lazaro - Not ours, not worth the money, may better options out there - Free transfer for the Thomas Meunier big wages but MASSIVE step up in quality

Bentaleb - Same as Lazaro - better options available at the club and possible Vidal signature is a huge improvement in quality.

Danny Rose - Overweight, lazy and bad attitude; thinks he's too good for us. FLUSH! Not worth the transfer fee; Jetro is the man when he recovers.

Atsu - ? Really? Do I need to? The lad is hit and miss and when he hits it's bang average. Dead weight. Get shot.

Basically I think we need to build on these players

Goal Keepers
    - Dubravka and Woodman - Check
    Defenders
    - Lejeune, Lascelles, Schar, Fernandez, Clarke and Dummy
    - Clark and Dummy would be the first to be replaced over the next few windows
    Midfield
    - Hayden is our most underrated player in my opinion, he reads the game really well and just does his job
    - Longstaffs - get 'um signed up
    Attack
    - ASM
    - Miggy

I don't expect this to happen in 1 window, also replacing so many players in one window would be very difficult to get them to click.

Whilst it's idealistic I'm pragmatic in thinking that it will take 3 or 4 windows to get to a place where we have a genuinely dangerous squad.

However 2 bigger points.

First bringing in the right manager.

Second - taking advantage of UEFA relaxing the FFP rules due to Corona. If we can slip through 8 worldies in one window then I say Yalla! Let's get it down before they slam the door closed

Money to burn baby woop woop

Mint post that, like.

I'd keep Manquillo as back up over Yedlin, Yedlin's been god awful for the past 18 months and wants to move. Manquillo although he started off badly, has stepped up and has been one of our better players over the same period. His contracts up like at the end of the season, but a year or 2 extension and then we could sell/release him next summer instead.

I'd keep Joelinton as well, we spent £40M on him, he's still young and he's obviously been played out of position/not suited to our current tactics. He may as well get another shot at this under a better manager, with some better players around him and maybe see what he can do then. Cut our losses if it doesn't work out after another season.

Great post, agree about the manager bit.

I never thought i'd say it but i agree with Mag_Laad about ****quillo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammy89 View Post
    Great post, agree about the manager bit.

I never thought i'd say it but i agree with Mag_Laad about ****quillo.
    Our most underrated player along with Clarke over the past 18 month. Happy he proved us all wrong tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Laad View Post
    Our most underrated player along with Clarke over the past 18 month. Happy he proved us all wrong tbh.
    Aye he's been surprisingly consistent.

I see that most of the rest of the list we concur with?

Quote Originally Posted by Ragatino View Post
    Aye he's been surprisingly consistent.

I see that most of the rest of the list we concur with?

I mean I like Clarke but I'd still get rid of him, I'd get rid of Hayden as well but everything else seems spot on.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)