+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Clubs Votes, Whether to Continue or Cancel Division One Season

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    I think the vote will be to continue playing.

Football and sport is coming back all round the world. We need to get back playing here.
    Not at league 1 level. They'll vote to finish the season. Testing costs, prize money, contracts and no fans. Too expensive for many.

They'll use the furlough scheme and regroup.

Quote Originally Posted by howdydoo View Post
    Not at league 1 level. They'll vote to finish the season. Testing costs, prize money, contracts and no fans. Too expensive for many.

I get your point. But its a trade off between the cost of playing agajnst not completing the season. The argument that its unsafe is moot.

The cost to complete (I understand) is 250k to 300k per club (inc testing at 125k). Clubs, apparently, are in talks with players uinion to share the cost of testing. Clubs need to weigh this up against the cost of commercial contract cancellations snd claw backs (Sky 'may' ask for a rebate which they already have done in cricket).

So not clear cut.

Quote Originally Posted by howdydoo View Post

Agree

I heard Paul Scally (Gills chairwoman) in Talk Sport yesterday and he thinks the season should stip. according to him,
    Testing would cost £140k plus £100k month running costs for 9 games wasn’t worth it according to him.
    Plus, if something happens the limited company would be liable to legal proceedings

The argument that its unsafe is moot.
    It most definitely is not. What short memories we have.

The world is still under lockdown because an incredibly contagious and for many lethal virus is out there with no cure or vaccine.

With thousands of people involved in returning football across the divisions the risk of someone contracting the virus and passing it on to a relative who may then die is certainly one that is not unimaginable or even highly unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by Gainsbro_Miller View Post
    Plus, if something happens the limited company would be liable to legal proceedings
    How does this work in any other job where limited companies are being asked to return employees to work? Is every other company liable if anything goes wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Gainsbro_Miller View Post
    I heard Paul Scally (Gills chairwoman) in Talk Sport yesterday and he thinks the season should stip. according to him,
    Testing would cost £140k plus £100k month running costs for 9 games wasn’t worth it according to him.
    Interesting. Thats another vote in our favour then. Goes against what fatty has been saying as well.

Quote Originally Posted by John2 View Post
    It most definitely is not. What short memories we have.

The world is still under lockdown because an incredibly contagious and for many lethal virus is out there with no cure or vaccine.

With thousands of people involved in returning football across the divisions the risk of someone contracting the virus and passing it on to a relative who may then die is certainly one that is not unimaginable or even highly unlikely.
    Football and other sport is returning in many countries. Amateur Rugby is due to resume in NZ in their next phase, mid July (all well). Club cricket is due to start here 11th July. Germany is showing its safe to play football and, I understand watersports has resumed.

The talk in L1 is to test every player twice a week. The thinking is they can create a safe space for players.

Football and other sport is returning in many countries. Amateur Rugby is due to resume in NZ in their next phase, mid July (all well). Club cricket is due to start here 11th July. Germany is showing its safe to play football and, I understand watersports has resumed.

The talk in L1 is to test every player twice a week. The thinking is they can create a safe space for players.
    New Zealand has effectively eliminated Coronavirus. They had 21 deaths in total.
    Germany had 8 deaths linked to Coronavirus yesterday. We had 121.

"Safe" is not a magical thing that can be decided. It is a subjective judgement about the level of risk you are willing to accept.

The risk in the UK is amongst the highest of any country in the world. Some people may be satisfied that the risk of death to the players, staff and their families is low enough to continue, but the risk is absolutely 100% there. In NZ it's arguably not there at the moment yet still they're proceeding with more caution than we seem to be.

The clubs are responding to the intended release of lockdown by the government. Given that they are still to provide a suitable tracking system, yet are in the process of getting kids back to school. In the light of events within the past 24 hours I am afraid I don’t have any confidence in what they say,
    Consequently the footie authorities are responding to advice that is questionable at best.
    The virus is still around.
    I am afraid we are now in a more difficult situation than before and frankly it is becoming more political by the day.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast