+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Ex players

Ex players

I see Harry Davis has been released by Grimsby, joining Michael O'Connor in looking for another club. Not ours hopefully.

(Thought I would try and create some activity on here)

Michael O`Connor was a good player. Have always thought that he should have achieved more in his career. A talented and physical player.

I suspect there will be hundreds of players looking for clubs now as gate money will be on hold and as such wage expectations will be hammered and get back actually to reality and more average levels of the population which is a good thing. Then possibly that will eventually feed back into ticket prices and 20 pounds plus per game will sound OTT. I wonder how this will affect the PL and Championship?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB View Post
    I suspect there will be hundreds of players looking for clubs now as gate money will be on hold and as such wage expectations will be hammered and get back actually to reality and more average levels of the population which is a good thing. Then possibly that will eventually feed back into ticket prices and 20 pounds plus per game will sound OTT. I wonder how this will affect the PL and Championship?
    I expect that the only change for PL clubs will be that they will expect to pay less for players from the EFL - especially if they come from a feeder club/B-side.Otherwise they will continue to "splash the cash". After all ticket sales are only a fraction of the money they get in.

They might get back to that in a few years time, teammoo, but each club will be losing somewhere between £20m and £30m in TV revenue this season as well as about £1m per match in gate money and associated match day spends. That might not make much difference to the Citys of this world but ManU reckon to have lost £125m in the past year - they have higher incomes but pay out ridiculous sums in salaries from that income. Like the rest of us, if their income goes down so will there outgoings. Of course, you’re right about gate money being a smaller proportion of their revenues, but Mike is wrong to assume that all PL and Championship clubs charge exhorbitant ticket prices - our neighbours along the D road for one have always been pretty cheap and I don’t see the clubs lowering their prices any time soon.

I rather suspect that the Championship will feel the pinch more and, as a result, it’s perhaps not the best time to be a lower league footballer. There have been some interesting articles in the press this week about what you might call ordinary players and how they are or aren’t coping. This time next year football will look very different, but I don’t think our club will have changed as much as many others, and frankly that’s the most important thing for me.

Hear hear Aston. As DA says our salary model is better fitted to cope with the changes, and it may be more of a level playing field in League 1 than we'd have expected when we last played a match. (Though there will be some big hitters in there if they don't get their way about playing the season out - Sunderland and Ipswich in particular.
    Last edited by ShropshireAlex; 26-05-2020 at 01:16 PM. Reason: typo