+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Martin & Huddlestone new Contracts, yes or no?

Martin & Huddlestone new Contracts, yes or no?

It appears that the club have offered both new contracts, with mixed reactions from the fans.

For me Martin should be a definite yes, at the right price. He offers intelligence and is comfortable with both feet, scores goals and brings others into play. He's never had pace and so can't lose it. There's nobody at the club who can replace him.

Huddlestone, on the other hand, I would let go. I really rate him as a player and he can run games with his passing. But, we have several players who will be challenging him in his position.

Also Martin has tried and failed at other clubs whereas Huddlestone has succeeded elsewhere. So, I think that we would need to pay Huddlestone more to keep him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post
    It appears that the club have offered both new contracts, with mixed reactions from the fans.

For me Martin should be a definite yes, at the right price. He offers intelligence and is comfortable with both feet, scores goals and brings others into play. He's never had pace and so can't lose it. There's nobody at the club who can replace him.

Huddlestone, on the other hand, I would let go. I really rate him as a player and he can run games with his passing. But, we have several players who will be challenging him in his position.

Also Martin has tried and failed at other clubs whereas Huddlestone has succeeded elsewhere. So, I think that we would need to pay Huddlestone more to keep him.
    Apparently Martin turned the offer down ,was only offered 1year with option of second in clubs favour Depends if we've got the money to replace him Huddleston the same offer a year at reduced wage take it or leave it The days of big contracts have gone ,not just at our club neither . Afraid the relegated Prem teams could have it all their own way in the future

I'd agree with that Ram. But I think we should stick to our guns on the deal with Martin, I can't see him getting a better deal elsewhere at this level.

The Hud has had his day.

[QUOTE=AdiSalisbury;39506683]I'd agree with that Ram. But I think we should stick to our guns on the deal with Martin, I can't see him getting a better deal elsewhere at this level.

The Hud has had his day.[/QUO

Adi I agree with you I've nothing against him he's played well since Xmas till lockdown But his record the last four seasons isn't great 124app 23goals Thanks to Rush and McLaren he's been on an unbelievable wage for the Championship . Yes good player but unless him and his agent are prepared to drop then out him .

[QUOTE=mistaram;39506776]
    Quote Originally Posted by AdiSalisbury View Post
    I'd agree with that Ram. But I think we should stick to our guns on the deal with Martin, I can't see him getting a better deal elsewhere at this level.

The Hud has had his day.[/QUO

Adi I agree with you I've nothing against him he's played well since Xmas till lockdown But his record the last four seasons isn't great 124app 23goals Thanks to Rush and McLaren he's been on an unbelievable wage for the Championship . Yes good player but unless him and his agent are prepared to drop then out him .
    Hopefully, Martin will see sense and realise that other clubs won't be offering him a fortune. He's got his feet under the table at Derby, he's loved by the fans and settled in the area. I just hope that he doesn't let pride let his career finish too early.

I remember Kinkladze refusing to take less wages when we got relegated. I don't think he played anywhere else afterwards and finished his career too early, when he could have been a key player for us in the championship.

No, time to move on.

Agree with MoP and mista. Quite like to seem him stay on the evidence of 2020, but that’s the first time I’ve thought that for a long time.
    Times have changed and he has to lower his expectations. I think he actually owes us something now.

Not bothered about Huddlestone. With greater mobility he could have been one of the greats, but what little he had has gone. He’d be one of the first picks for the ‘crossbar challenge’, but that lack of mobility and fitness makes him a bit of an expensive liability as far as competitive football is concerned imo.

We are probably all jumping the gun because the club have not issued any statement about his contract I don't want to come across as anti Martin because I'm not he's still a good finisher and very intelligent player But I don't buy that he's crucial to the way Cocu wants to play He wasn't even in the side till mid November even then he was coming off the bench . No player or agent usually takes the first offer so it will be a cat and mouse game between club and player Hopefully he stays because as RA says I think he owes something

It's all innuendo and rumour thus far so that's all I can go on.

Martin, or so the story goes, has been offered less money on a 1 year deal with an option of 1 more year if the club likes the idea. The problem for CM seems to be that he wants a 2 year deal. 2 years on less money seems a reasonable deal to me. 29 apps this season so far, 10 goals and 7 assists makes him more than acceptably productive. Mention has been made of his stats during his away on loan seasons. The stats, I agree, don't look good. However, I see it as a case of there are lies, damned lies and then there are statistics. Why? During those seasons he was suffering from ulcerative colitis, an extremely debilitating illness that left him totally bereft of energy. Little wonder he didn't produce. Look past the stats and you get a better picture. he fought his way back to fitness, then back into the squad and then back into the team. A very professional outlook IMO. At any level, squad/team selection is a matter of options. I'm not saying that Cocu will set the team up to play to CM's strengths in most games, although he might. What CM gives is that other option. There will be opposition where he is absolutely the right man up top. Other games might see him on the bench. He is important because he is different to our other strikers.

Hudds has also had an offer of less money. I haven't seen the length of the deal. Of the 2, he is possibly the more likely to move on. Would we miss him? IMO, yes. Why? Rooney will, I believe, remain 1st choice for the "quarter back" role. Hudds is the only other player who can do that IMO. 1 year contract with an option and he will be Rooney's cover.

Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post
    We are probably all jumping the gun because the club have not issued any statement about his contract I don't want to come across as anti Martin because I'm not he's still a good finisher and very intelligent player But I don't buy that he's crucial to the way Cocu wants to play He wasn't even in the side till mid November even then he was coming off the bench . No player or agent usually takes the first offer so it will be a cat and mouse game between club and player Hopefully he stays because as RA says I think he owes something
    Martin hasn't been key to the way that the last few managers have wanted to play and because of this, was let out on loan. But, I don't understand this one way of playing football, if a system isn't working in a match, substituting a like for like player is unlikely to reap rewards. However, bringing on a unique player, brings a whole new challenge to the opposition.

Especially, when chasing a game, when intelligence and touch is required to pick a packed, deep lying defence.

Opposition defenders must hate to play him, he's physical, comfortable with his back to goal and most importantly Good with both feet. Force Waghorn on to his right foot and your safe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)