+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 13 of 89 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Coronavirus Thread (4)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mikemiller View Post
    New national safety instructions now being broadcast on TalkSport Radio. Don't know if it applies to toffs, government advisers, etc though , as previous instructions obviously didn't!

Last bit is... "Whatever you do, DON'T go visiting Uncle Monty in the Lake District"

Wise words - they have must have been reading Millersmad.
    Good to see you back mikemiller and a bit of sanity back on the board...I've had a bit of a run in with your old pal but we are best of mates now...

Quote Originally Posted by mikemiller View Post
    New national safety instructions now being broadcast on TalkSport Radio. Don't know if it applies to toffs, government advisers, etc though , as previous instructions obviously didn't!

Last bit is... "Whatever you do, DON'T go visiting Uncle Monty in the Lake District"

Wise words - they have must have been reading Millersmad.
    . Does all the above apply to labour mps as well. You seem to have missed them out. An oversight I'm sure. 😊

Quote Originally Posted by Lasterman View Post
    What do you mean by 'doing well'? The contact tracers are complaining that they've got nothing to do. Hardly surprising given there are 25,000 of them, infections are declining and the criteria for them getting involved is incredibly tight.

They get involved where:

1. Someone has tested positive for Covid-19
    2. That person supplies a list of people they have spent at least 15 minutes within 6 feet of in the last few days.

Don't know about you, but if I test positive, my list won't be hard to contact because they'll all be living in my house. As should everyone else's list if they've been practicing social distancing.

No wonder they've got nowt to do.

I said from day one that this would be an expensive White Elephant and I've seen nothing yet to change that view.
    I'm round lots of people all the time and have been all lockdown because of working so my list would be much bigger. Different rules apply to social care though and no one I've been around at work would be advised to self Isolate.

Channel 4 have released some information on the "successful" test and trace system.

https://www.channel4.com/news/reveal...channel-4-news

If I understand that correctly, about 40% of people testing positive have signed up for the test and trace system. And the tracing teams have contacted about 36% of the 'leads they've been given.

So 25,000 tracers have managed to contact 1,700 people in four days. One contact for every 14 tracers. By my reckoning that will be somewhere in the order of £8 million in wages or £4,700 per contact made. How many of those contacts had the virus or changed their behaviour as a result of the contact is anyone's guess.

And this is what Matt Hancock calls a success.
    Last edited by Lasterman; 02-06-2020 at 09:18 PM.

I read that article a few days ago. It confirms the issue with trying to make death rate comparisons at this time. It won't stop people doing it though if it serves their political purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    I read that article a few days ago. It confirms the issue with trying to make death rate comparisons at this time. It won't stop people doing it though if it serves their political purposes.
    Even still, at this point its looking like we'll have the highest death toll in Europe without any real doubt.

Why? Well, the president of epidemiology at the Royal Society of Medicine thinks it was because politicians didn't listen to advice and took us into lock down too late.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TGjKKexdzg

Is he making this point for political purposes? Are we allowed to listen to what he has to say, or is it "too soon"?

Quote Originally Posted by John2 View Post
    Even still, at this point its looking like we'll have the highest death toll in Europe without any real doubt.

Why? Well, the president of epidemiology at the Royal Society of Medicine thinks it was because politicians didn't listen to advice and took us into lock down too late.

Is he making this point for political purposes? Are we allowed to listen to what he has to say, or is it "too soon"?
    Everyone's "juking the stats" so yes it is too early.

If we'd stopped flights coming in like Australia and New Zealand then fewer people would have died but I doubt you'd have been OK with that.

You'd have been screaming "racist" most likely.

Quote Originally Posted by John2 View Post

I think we talked about this on the CV (3) thread and the fact that Washington State where I live and the UK went into lock down on about the same day despite here having the first reported case (Jan) and death (Feb) in the US that were if I remember correctly about a week before the first ones in the UK.

Our population is 7.5M with a density of 103/sq mile. Deaths currently 1,118 or 149/million.
    UK population 66M with a density of 701/sq mile. Deaths currently 39,904 or 604/million.

So UK has 7x the population density but only 4x the death rate? Have they managed it better or is population density irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    I think we talked about this on the CV (3) thread and the fact that Washington State where I live and the UK went into lock down on about the same day despite here having the first reported case (Jan) and death (Feb) in the US that were if I remember correctly about a week before the first ones in the UK.

Our population is 7.5M with a density of 103/sq mile. Deaths currently 1,118 or 149/million.
    UK population 66M with a density of 701/sq mile. Deaths currently 39,904 or 604/million.

So UK has 7x the population density but only 4x the death rate? Have they managed it better or is population density irrelevant?
    Yes, I'd imagine population density would certainly be a factor in this.

Lies, damn lies and medical statistics

Page 13 of 89 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast