+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 101 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Coronavirus Thread (4)

I expect it will work about as well as the many failed NHS I.T. projects.

Singapore has been employing this strategy from the first week or so that they had it and there's been some very robust management of it. No ifs, no but,s, no arguing

Much smaller place than the UK though

Singapore has experience of MERS and SARS, which gave them a head start in terms of an understanding of the issue within the population.

Even if the system is largely successful, I would make the (weary) prediction that the media will pick up on any instance where it falls short.

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    Isn't it intended to trace your movements on your phone so that if you are tested positive, the app can then inform other people who have been in the same places as you via their app?

Or isn't it linked to the app any more?

If not, I would imagine that giving the ID of people who you have been in contact with the ability to audit and ensure that they are following through with the isolation. I think Hancock indicated that they might have to move towards doing this if the public dont cooperate, and without the system working with government control, they wouldnt be able to manage this.

Hope it works, although Guardian report today highlighted many people pissed off with the way it is being managed. Hope they are wrong and its a success though for reasons Kerr gives above
    No, the app idea seems to have been dropped. And it was never compulsory anyway. You can't ring someone who is ill and force them to go on to a website and enter a load of data. It's not going to work. And seriously, how many people have you been within 6 feet of for at least 15 minutes in the past week? A handful at most? Wouldn't you let them know you were ill because they are either close friends, workmates or family?

There are numerous other reasons why this won't work and why it's open to abuse and mischief. Just like the government's whole approach to this it is half-arsed. Nether one thing nor the other. Desipned to look as if they're doing something but in reality doing nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lasterman View Post
    No, I get what it's supposed to do but it seems pointless.

Why don't I just contact the people myself, as I surely would anyway (how many identifiable people will be within 6 feet of me for at least 15 minutes?) rather than waiting for some unemployed media studies graduate to ring me when I'm feeling like crap, giving them the information and then getting them to do the contacting? It makes no sense.

Any contacts I can't identify (say someone sat next to me on a bus) will be untraceable by the 'tracers' anyway.

I just don't see the benefit of adding this additional expensive layer of 25,000 tracers at all.
    Also can we trust them that have just gone back to work to have time off to self isolate?

I know I wouldn’t trust some

Well we can't trust govt advisers to start with I suppose...

Quote Originally Posted by millertop View Post
    Also can we trust them that have just gone back to work to have time off to self isolate?

I know I wouldn’t trust some
    Probably not, but I can't see why this would make it any more likely that they would comply.

Quote Originally Posted by Lasterman View Post
    Probably not, but I can't see why this would make it any more likely that they would comply.
    They’d be on the app and their movements tracked so they’d have to comply or risked getting into trouble

Test and trace system

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52829357

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    Singapore has experience of MERS and SARS, which gave them a head start in terms of an understanding of the issue within the population.

Even if the system is largely successful, I would make the (weary) prediction that the media will pick up on any instance where it falls short.
    So if other countries have had epidemics and managed them in the past then perhaps our Govt should have been aware of this and used the Singaporean experience as a blue print for the UK.

Why try to reinvent the wheel or was it just case of not being as prepared as we could have been.

Page 3 of 101 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast