+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 60 of 101 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Coronavirus Thread (4)

Quote Originally Posted by millertop View Post
    Do any of you wear a face covering when out and about especially inside?

Talk of making it mandatory now, wish they’d make their minds up.

why wait? Think their decisions always have your best interest at heart? I wear one at indoor places other than home all the time - primarily to protect others, which is the main reason for doing so

That’s what’s been wrong from the start, too much government advice treating the public as adults instead of saying “you will do this or else” as you would with a child.

I reckon the reluctance to make masks mandatory was down to the fear of lack of supply and reducing stock getting to the NHS. Now that supply chain issues have eased and most shops sell them we are now in a position to impose a wear a mask rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    That’s what’s been wrong from the start, too much government advice treating the public as adults instead of saying “you will do this or else” as you would with a child.

I reckon the reluctance to make masks mandatory was down to the fear of lack of supply and reducing stock getting to the NHS. Now that supply chain issues have eased and most shops sell them we are now in a position to impose a wear a mask rule.
    An excellent point, Grist. I'm baffled by this government's approach. Today Gove announces he is opposed to making face masks mandatory in shops - not because he doesn't think they should be worn because he does - but for the entirely bizarre reason that he prefers to "rely on the common sense of the British public."

Quote Originally Posted by wendun View Post
    An excellent point, Grist. I'm baffled by this government's approach. Today Gove announces he is opposed to making face masks mandatory in shops - not because he doesn't think they should be worn because he does - but for the entirely bizarre reason that he prefers to "rely on the common sense of the British public."
    Probably been talking to gm_gm as he is a keen exponent of the public using common sense
    Isn't that right gm?

Have a look at the stats. It's hardly a second wave, in fact it's not even a spike, rather a blip on an infection rate which is falling rapidly.

I suspect this is more about a shamed RMBC not wanting to appear negligent again after the grooming scandal.

As i posted last week, this should have been the headlines:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53233066

Quote Originally Posted by the_idiotb_stardson View Post
    Have a look at the stats. It's hardly a second wave, in fact it's not even a spike, rather a blip on an infection rate which is falling rapidly.

I suspect this is more about a shamed RMBC not wanting to appear negligent again after the grooming scandal.

As i posted last week, this should have been the headlines:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53233066
    I see we’ve had a “blip” on a farm in Herefordshire, 73 testing positive in a staff of 200

All Eastern European cheap labour of course.

I see we’ve had a “blip” on a farm in Herefordshire, 73 testing positive in a staff of 200

All Eastern European cheap labour of course.
    Not sure what point you're making Grist? Are they taking jobs from willing and able UK workers? Would you prefer to pay double for your fruit and veg and have it picked by more expensive labour? Would the UK unemployed even work in the conditions and hours often experienced in picking?

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Not sure what point you're making Grist? Are they taking jobs from willing and able UK workers? Would you prefer to pay double for your fruit and veg and have it picked by more expensive labour? Would the UK unemployed even work in the conditions and hours often experienced in picking?
    So for cheap fruit we get outbreaks of covid?

We get lockdowns in Leicester because of outbreaks in certain areas if the town with high immigrant numbers

Ditto other places, including Rotherham where the hotspots are Ferham and Eastwood, and Sheffield with hotspots of Burngreave and Page Hall

There have been other outbreaks of covid in food processing plants all manned by labour brought in since the pandemic started

The link?

Stuff cheap fruit, there should have been a complete ban on bringing foreign workers in

So for cheap fruit we get outbreaks of covid?

We get lockdowns in Leicester because of outbreaks in certain areas if the town with high immigrant numbers

Ditto other places, including Rotherham where the hotspots are Ferham and Eastwood, and Sheffield with hotspots of Burngreave and Page Hall

There have been other outbreaks of covid in food processing plants all manned by labour brought in since the pandemic started

The link?

Stuff cheap fruit, there should have been a complete ban on bringing foreign workers in
    Same's happening here Grist with meat processing plants, farm workers, grape pickers, all staffed by 'cheap' labour but not necessarily labour just brought in due to the virus. Most of the workers are 2nd + 3rd generation in the jobs. More down to the working/living conditions than the origin of the species.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Same's happening here Grist with meat processing plants, farm workers, grape pickers, all staffed by 'cheap' labour but not necessarily labour just brought in due to the virus. Most of the workers are 2nd + 3rd generation in the jobs. More down to the working/living conditions than the origin of the species.
    Well said Cam.

Page 60 of 101 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast