+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who Am I Quiz (No 65)

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    He was one of the previous 64 answers in any case.
    Thanks, GF. Hadn't realised. Mind you, it's getting hard to keep up with so many in the bag now!

Still going. More clues.

Allan Clarke

Neil Young

Quote Originally Posted by CTMilller View Post
    Allan Clarke
    Well done CT. I thought the music clue might lead you there. Did it?

I am Allan Clarke

I was a runner up more times than I was a winner. Lost 3 FA Cup finals, won once. Runner up in Division 1 three years in a row, won once. Lost European Cup Final won Fairs Cup.

In a familiar pattern, a Frenchman surrendered to a German and my big night was ruined. The French referee in the 1975 European Cup Final waived away 2 penalty claims against Franz Beckenbaur and then pandered to his demands for offside after he'd initially awarding a goal for Peter Lorimer.

One year I did something and the following year I did it again. Broke the British transfer record. 150K (Fulham to Leicester) then 165K (Leicester to Leeds)

I played for my country and had scoring record up there with the best. England. 10 goals in 19 games, a better goals/game ratio than both Bobby Charlton (49/106) and Wayne Rooney (53/120) but not quite as good as Gary Lineker (48/80).

I played against Rotherham at the peak of my career and again towards the end. For Leeds and Barnsley in FA Cup games in 1971 and 1978/9.

There are some things you can only do once. The way I did it has not been emulated since. I made my England debut in a World Cup Final's game. In Mexico 1970 v Czechoslovakia, and I scored the winning goal (pen).

In a marquee game, one keeper's career high point was conceding a goal to me. 1972 the Centenary FA Cup Final. I scored the winning goal for Leeds against Arsenal. In goal for them, Geoff Barnett. Who I hear you ask?

I can sympathise with Michael Jackson. Being 1 of 5 brothers in the same trade. OK I know he was 1 of 7 but famous for The Jackson 5.

Compared to players like Alan Ball and Alan Shearer I had bit extra. An extra 'l' in Allan.

I have an equally as famous namesake who played one of the most iconic 10 second harmonica intros you'll ever hear. Allan Clarke lead singer of the Hollies on 'He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother'.
    Last edited by CAMiller; 27-05-2020 at 08:51 PM.

Yes, CAM. The combination of the extra ‘l’ in Allan and the Hollies front man gave it to me straight away, In terms of the football clues - I would still be miles off!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123