+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Journo's are a horrible breed

Journo's are a horrible breed

The press have been a Fu(king disgrace throughout this takeover process. Every man and his dog have jumped on this story and found anyway possible to spread negativity and spike anxiety amongst fans. It shouldn't be allowed, if this process is private then we're do these stories keep coming from? Not the story itself but the part about each story causing the Prem another issue. Is this just made up or is someone from the Prem slipping these things out to certain press? In times like this with a pandemic ongoing and nothing really to do other than scour the web and hope for some positive news on our beloved club, we shouldn't be greeted with anxiety inducing stories. I thought I was being daft getting to worked up with it all but looking on social media so many of us feel the exact same way and it shouldn't be allowed. It's not like I can just take a step back and think what will be will be either as this takeover simply means so much to me.

The amount of journos who seemingly want this bid to fail is insane. I know there's no other sport and there's no other story but the stories are all relentlessly negative.

Absolutely sick of it now.

Journos and Estate Agents were the first people to make a mountain out of a molehill. Between them they must have originated the statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    The amount of journos who seemingly want this bid to fail is insane. I know there's no other sport and there's no other story but the stories are all relentlessly negative.

Absolutely sick of it now.
    Same here mate and the constant negative stories are what I just don't understand. They could be writing about the impact the Saudi money could have on Newcastle as a whole or even the country. They could make stories about what the Saudis are producing to combat the coranavirus and how it could also help us. But they just choose to search for anything possible to make the deal feel as if it's being derailed. Even when you get the odd positive story it's as if the negative ones have stopped getting as much interest so we'll suck them all back in then BOOM it's all going to sh1t again.

I am completely calm about it. I havent bought a newspaper in over 5 year. Not to say I havent seen on the likes of twitter or newspaper lies online.
    If it makes anyone feel better I tend to weigh up both sides. If these journos print story after story they think it will get believed. If at the moment they run a story again and again with a different headline but same story about NUFC it gets just about everyone to click and read, therefore with all the adverts on said story makes them money. Out of order yes from our point of view as they are playing on us as a fan base . My advice, don't click on it. Wont hurry the takeover along.
    On our side of the fence, just see who we have going into bat for us. Staveley and her lawyers, the Rueben brothers and their lawyers and then we have the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia and his band of lawyers. All the best money can buy. Why am I chilled over it, that is one reason, the other, does anyone really believe the PL can turn it down and refuse all the money this brings, and turn it down and risk a diplomatic problem between the UK and the Saudis. Not a chance.
    This new report last night reworded from 2 weeks ago is a WTO report encouraged by, yes you guessed it, Qatar. Hidden agenda, you bet it is. Same story but only yesterday's mentions WTO. If true he must have known that it was them 2 weeks ago.
    Last of all I will leave you all with this, with the best lawyers money can buy at their disposal, do you honestly believe they would have paid 17m non refundable deposit. No way they would. They will have went over everything before putting the deal in place.
    I know its dragging on but the PL with their 4 lawyers and 3 junior lawyers will be no match for the ones involved with the buyers.
    Ashley will soon be gone, enjoy your families, enjoy the weather and last of all have a couple of warm up drinks ready for the announcement.

Exactly...there are so many positives about this story, not just for the club but for the city and the wider area too. Plus, the influx of Saudi money is going to be a massive help to the PL-especially as they'll be looking to pursue the tv rights (cough...ahem...legally, this time).

But, no....it's all negative.

And the worst of it all is that the focus has shifted from the human rights issues to the money-based ones....just shows that all the moral grandstanding was just a side issue to what people are really concerned with.

Aye, well said all.

It's ****ing pathetic.

Got that fed up with them I sent a complaint about one article in the Newstatesman . Be nice if you could give me some feedback as I might start with the others as well

Dear Newstatesman
    I write to complain about Johnathon Liew's article entitled " Newcastle Fans Back the Club's Take Over by Saudi Arabia. Do They Bear Moral Responsibility ? "
    This article gives a false impression of Newcastle supporters. I believe the Newcastle United Supporters Trust has already contacted you about the following quote
    " Asked whether they would be in favour of their club being purchased by a state culpable for numerous human rights abuses and accused of a litany of war crimes in Yemen, 97 per cent of respondents to a survey by the Newcastle United Supporters Trust said they would."
    so I will not mention that further. Except to ask why the author would not expect such a large majority vote from a group whose membership was swollen significantly by people joining to protest against, and hopefully remove our current owner.
    He also mentions that using the Disney Channel, Uber, Slack and Twitter are " purely transactional " Excuse my ignorance but do morals disappear when making purely transactional decisions and only return when talking about Newcastle United ?
    He also mentions protests by Liverpool and Manchester United fans against their owners. He also mentions Newcastle fans protesting against Mike Ashley because "That in some important sense it belongs to all of us" What is not mentioned though was Liverpool and Manchester supporters were mostly supported by the media, where as Newcastle supporters were mostly ignored or told they were deluded . Mike Ashley was a good owner and we should be grateful.
    Which brings me to this next quote. "Rather, his biggest crime in the eyes of supporters was parsimony: a failure to lavish his wealth with the sort of earth-scorching abandon that has rendered Roman Abramovich at Chelsea and Sheikh Mansour at Manchester City virtually immune to internal criticism."
    This is an absolutely absurd statement with no basis in truth. I live in Newcastle, all my friends live and support Newcastle. I used to travel home and away watching Newcastle. I drink in Newcastle. This means I have been in contact with thousands of Newcastle supporters and never,ever,ever have I heard one supporter saying we should be spending like Manchester City or Chelsea. It is true that many have complained about Mike Ashley's lack of spending in the transfer market because the club said we could not compete with the likes of Bournemouth or Southampton. We were constantly in the top twenty places for biggest turnover, we were selling out our 52000 seat stadium but we still could not compete.
    The biggest crimes were not that mentioned by the author but a whole list of things. The failure to invest in the training facilities (promised but not done). The shocking way he treated club legends Keegan (constructive dismissal ) Shearer (still waiting for club to contact him over managerial position ) and his appalling treatment of cancer sufferer Jonas Gutierez. The free advertising and merchandising income going to his main business concern, meaning that while other clubs benefited from a boom in revenue Newcastle stood still. All the while club debt to him increased . These are just a few of his crimes (there are a lot more believe me) so to say it is because we would not spend like Manchester City is totally false.
    However the quotes attributed as replies to Hatice Cengiz open letter are terrible and I condemn them. It shames me as a Newcastle fan that some of us would resort to that. I understand there is a lot of frustration out there but that is no excuse. However the question should be asked . Did Twitter users , or Disney subscribers reply in the same ilk to the open letters she sent to them? No I wonder why? It must be the fact that morals disappear unless its a Newcastle takeover so it was not worth writing to them.
    Right from the outset this article has already assumed that the Saudi involvement in the take over is bad. The author has made it quite clear in his opinion. However there are always to sides to every story. Any investment in the country now has to be of benefit, and before you say but at what cost? remember Saudi Arabia is an ally of, and trading partner with the UK. The benefit to the North East and Newcastle in particular will be huge. But the only question that really needs to be asked by Newcastle supporters is will the takeover help my club ? Without involving anything away and outside the clubs jurisdiction that answer is yes. Does this make me morally responsible no.
    As the end of the article says football supporters are passive and powerless. So how does hoping for the best for your club and being powerless to have any influence make me morally wrong. If anything this article should of been aimed at Mike Ashley as he is the one with the power and the one who chose to sell to this consortium
    Thank you for your time in reading this
    Hopefully it might help to make your magazine a little more balanced in future
    XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

It's very good, mate. Articulate and well written...it puts your/our point over very well.

The problem is, I suspect it will fall on deaf ears (doesn't mean you shouldn't send it, though). The journalists who write pieces like the one you mention aren't interested in anyone's opinion other than their own. They're the ones who actually help build, maintain and actually proppagate these myths about us, myths that other fans are all too ready and eager to lap up.

We're a different breed up here...those who push that narrative know it but don't understand it (and some are jealous of it) so they continue to spout this shite unfettered by the actual truth.

Fuck 'em.

It is very good.

However, Zip is right - they don't care.

It was one of the worst articles I've read about the proposed take-over and yet still sailed through the editorial process.

But good letter and I hope you get a response, if you do and you can, please share on here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)