+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wembley Revisited: 30 Years On

Quote Originally Posted by The_Don_ORiordan View Post
    Up the Maggie’s I’m sure can correct my memory......
    My memory isn't as good as I'd like , perhaps upthemaggies could point us in the right direction?

A google search throws up a carouselhosting link which doesn't seem to work.

My favourite memory from that time was Charlie Palmer's goal at Brum, but then, see above re my memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    Seemed to me that we were going down to Wembley every year or so, two play-off finals, two Anglo-Italian. We'd even got free on-street parking sorted with just a modest tube ride.

My Dad didn't make it for the Anglo-Italians but got to the two play-offs, and of course saw the team he supported since the '30s in the top flight for a few seasons.
    3 with this one and 2 Anglo

https://youtu.be/EiRYIBDftdg

Awful day still not quite sure how we got there that season...

Quote Originally Posted by ForeignLegion View Post
    Scarf, you southern hinterland hippy. Unfortunately I missed all the Wembley appearances as I left in 88.
    I was still at school then! Did you move out on your own or with your folks?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeekay56 View Post
    My memory isn't as good as I'd like , perhaps upthemaggies could point us in the right direction?

A google search throws up a carouselhosting link which doesn't seem to work.
    It keeps going down because of the amount of traffic to the server during lockdown, the mirror backup works though, here's the 1989/90 page........
    http://tvset.byethost12.com/utm/ncfc8990.html

we were unbeaten in the final 6 away games plus the Bolton play off game before going to Wembley, we had been poor away though from New years day until losing to Tranmere on March 19th but we wouldn't lose again that season.

This page includes the Evening Post reports and quotes from the Wembley final
    http://tvset.byethost12.com/utm/maggies13.html?19900527

Tables at the bottom show we had the best home record in the division.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Don_ORiordan View Post
    I’ll never forget that match when he gave Ryan Giggs so little space and time on the ball that Sir Alex had to substitute his star young player.

And those Newcastle goals (home and away!) who could forget.

It’s funny how players seem to score against certain clubs. Chris Short can’t have scored that many but scored two against Newcastle.

That same season Bartlett played like a world beater whenever we played West Brom!
    Do you remember the volley against West Brom? Amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    I was still at school then! Did you move out on your own or with your folks?

On my own mate, my tribe is still all back in the UK. I was working on the pearl boats in Broome and didn't find out about the Brighton win until days later, when I managed to get hold of a newspaper. I think my last Notts match before I left was a dismal 0-3 defeat at Wolves in the Leyland or Sherpa, or whatever it was.

Seen them play about 7 or 8 times since then on my trips back...most of the games were dreadful.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    we were unbeaten in the final 6 away games plus the Bolton play off game before going to Wembley, we had been poor away though from New years day until losing to Tranmere on March 19th but we wouldn't lose again that season.
    I remember listening to Colin Slater's commentary on the Bolton game on the drive home from work, (I worked at Ratcliffe on Soar Power Station at the time, please don't tell seriouspie, I couldn't deal with him judging me not worthy). The following year I drove my son and two of my brothers up to Ayresome Park for the away leg against Boro. As we were walking to the ground one of their fans said to us " there's nothing for you here today lads", Phil Turner proved him wrong.

Best memory from that game was taking the mickey out of a portly boro fan, "who ate all the pies?"

Quote Originally Posted by ForeignLegion View Post
    On my own mate, my tribe is still all back in the UK. I was working on the pearl boats in Broome and didn't find out about the Brighton win until days later, when I managed to get hold of a newspaper. I think my last Notts match before I left was a dismal 0-3 defeat at Wolves in the Leyland or Sherpa, or whatever it was.

Seen them play about 7 or 8 times since then on my trips back...most of the games were dreadful.
    Yes I came with "her indoors". I lived in a van for the first year as we circumnavigated Australia. I spent a bit of time in Broome and Cape Levique is beautiful but it was a trifle hot for me. When you see sense and move to the Sunshine Coast let me know and I'll buy you a pint or 10. My last game was away at Wycombe, we won 1-0 under the Nolan revival which was better then several previous visits there when we got battered every time. I remember a particularly bad defeat there under Gary Brazil and some chap who used to post on here but stopped I think due to mental health issues shouting at Brazil "Resign! Resign!". While I was back we played quite well and won every game I went to! I was hoping to go back for the Wembley double header of playoffs and FA Vase and basically get pissed for a week in London but that's all kyboshed now along with my planned 3 week trip at Christmas also on the rocks. Hopefully I will get back to see a few games next year. In the meantime I will renew my Notts app subscription!

I was in Broome around 90-91...as well as the pearl boats, I worked on a pearl farm further north in Kuri Bay. It was stinking hot and although there were crocs around, we’d leap over the side of the tender and have a lightning dip to cool off. I also worked as a doorman at the Roebuck Bay hotel, the bar with the swinging cowboy movie style saloon doors. Maybe I threw you out now and again for rowdy behaviour?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast