+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wembley Revisited: 30 Years On

Seemed to me that we were going down to Wembley every year or so, two play-off finals, two Anglo-Italian. We'd even got free on-street parking sorted with just a modest tube ride.

My Dad didn't make it for the Anglo-Italians but got to the two play-offs, and of course saw the team he supported since the '30s in the top flight for a few seasons.

I remember driving to the game with my dad my best mate and a mate of my dads who was a ref and got cheap tickets back in the good old days. He knew all the best parking spots as he went to Wembley all the time. I was there in my Stone Roses t-shirt and county hat and scalf and can be seen on the video running down the steps cheering when we score! I have the shirt from the following promotion season in a frame if anyone wants to see it. Happy days indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Glad they mentioned Dean Thomas a few times because he really did make a big difference, Bartlett too deserves a special mention but they were all good lads. Not one bad player.
    I think the signings were important but also the timing. Getting Thomas and Bartlett at times when we needed them were inspired. Also Regis and Harding and players like Chris Short.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    I remember driving to the game with my dad my best mate and a mate of my dads who was a ref and got cheap tickets back in the good old days. He knew all the best parking spots as he went to Wembley all the time. I was there in my Stone Roses t-shirt and county hat and scalf and can be seen on the video running down the steps cheering when we score! I have the shirt from the following promotion season in a frame if anyone wants to see it. Happy days indeed!

Scarf, you southern hinterland hippy. Unfortunately I missed all the Wembley appearances as I left in 88.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Don_ORiordan View Post
    I think the signings were important but also the timing. Getting Thomas and Bartlett at times when we needed them were inspired. Also Regis and Harding and players like Chris Short.
    Chris Short is very often forgotten when discussing players from the past that have had a positive impact, I thought his time at Notts was excellent.

Do you know what, this is why we follow Notts. The amount of positivity in the thread is great. We all hope that some of those days will return. No matter what happens to this season lets hope that next season we have a celebration.

Quote Originally Posted by LEPiePie View Post
    Do you know what, this is why we follow Notts. The amount of positivity in the thread is great. We all hope that some of those days will return. No matter what happens to this season lets hope that next season we have a celebration.
    From what we have seen of the new owners so far and the business we have done in the loan and transfer markets since they took over I'd like to think we won't have to wait too long . . . although let's not get too confident, don't want to curse it!

Very enjoyable evoked some great memories for me, five Wembley trip's in the Nervous Ninety's.
    The Decade when we owned the Great Old Stadium, Happy Memories.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Chris Short is very often forgotten when discussing players from the past that have had a positive impact, I thought his time at Notts was excellent.
    I’ll never forget that match when he gave Ryan Giggs so little space and time on the ball that Sir Alex had to substitute his star young player.

And those Newcastle goals (home and away!) who could forget.

It’s funny how players seem to score against certain clubs. Chris Short can’t have scored that many but scored two against Newcastle.

That same season Bartlett played like a world beater whenever we played West Brom!

Going back to 89/90 they talked about going to Wembley the week before to watch Rovers vs Tranmere in the Leyland Daf (not Sherpa van tommy) final.
    Who can forget Mr Brian Hill from Kettering and the goal that never was........meaning we’d have to wait an extra week before breaking that Wembley duck......

I also remember the run in differently to the guys, I seem to remember us stuttering away at places like Wigan ( on the grass hill) not winning a load of games in a row (that was definitely the season after guys).

Up the Maggie’s I’m sure can correct my memory......
    Last edited by The_Don_ORiordan; 29-05-2020 at 06:40 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast