+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ‘10 Years Since Winning League 2’ Video?

Quote Originally Posted by magpie2k4 View Post
    Great watching the 30th anniversary video of beating Tranmere.

Would love a video with 4 legends from the Munto year. It would be great to hear some of the stories from back then.
    Me too.

Regardless of what people think about the Munto year it certainly ranks as the most SURREAL season in our history and, come on let's face it, who didn't start to believe we were actually billionaires for a short time?! It was great fun while it lasted (even though it was also a bit stressful) and the atmosphere at the Lane that season was incredible - some of the best match days I've ever experienced in over 40 years watching Notts, and that includes the Sirrel and Warnock years.

If Notts ever claw our way back up the leagues again I'm convinced our crowds will be much larger and louder than those we experienced in the top two divisions in the 80s and 90s. Some of this will be due to the new fans we gained during the Munto season but also the fact that our stadium can generate a much better atmosphere now than it could in the 'glory years', which is due largely to having our fans the Kop.

There were some great memories made that season - Bradford on that glorious opening day, Rochdale at home (14 points and you f ucke d it up), the final home game v Cheltenham and the Torquay Take-over weekend which is my favourite ever 'away day'

Would love to hear what Kasper, Ben Davies, Hughsey and others (Sol Campbell?!) have to say about that season but it still feels a bit soon and I suspect many of them may be bound by confidentially agreements for some time....

Quote Originally Posted by ManchesterMagpie View Post
    Me too.
    If Notts ever claw our way back up the leagues again I'm convinced our crowds will be much larger and louder than those we experienced in the top two divisions in the 80s and 90s. Some of this will be due to the new fans we gained during the Munto season but also the fact that our stadium can generate a much better atmosphere now than it could in the 'glory years', which is due largely to having our fans the Kop.
    It's crazy that we had higher gates in the 3rd tier in 1971/72 than any campaign at a higher level since. Says everything about how quickly people deserted the game from 1973/74 onwards due to violence and then the Clough effect from 77/78. Our timing in reaching the top couldn't have been worse. Literally, the worst 10 year window we could have ever chosen to do that. Early 70s or late 90s would have been a very different story.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12