+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: John Buckley interview

John Buckley interview

Hi Millers, hope everyone's keeping well.

While the EFL keep us all waiting, here's an interview I did with John Buckley at the start of lockdown which should hopefully be of interest.
    We chatted about his career and Bucky opened up about that incident against Plymouth Argyle in March 1993.

https://soundcloud.com/user-569728505/johnbuckley

All the best, Paul

Thanks for the interview link.
    John was one of my favourite players in the early 90’s.
    Loved the way he took on and beat the defender on the by-line.
    Remember his clash of heads that almost killed him, time passes too quickly.
    Thanks once again.

I remember the match against Plymouth. I was also there when he broke his leg in a very similar position on the pitch. I was only young then but I think it was against Bristol Rivers. I think he'd just put a cross in which Stuart Evans scored a diving header from.

I'll never forget the "incident". As a young un and fuelled with too much alcohol I remember shouting and moaning about the delay. Afterwards, when the extent of the injury became clear, I felt awful. To this day I feel shame and guilt over the way i acted. Thank God john recovered. Good player. Top man. And I've grown up.

Remember that awful injury. He was twitching horribly on the ground and you could see by reactions of those close that it was very bad. Game carried on obviously but you could feel the flatness in the ground throughout. Or maybe that was just me, felt subdued though. Thank Gods he came through. Thanks for the post Paul.

Is there an English version available

So Raggy was to blame then by way of being too ill to play that day.