+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O/T Auf Weidersehen

O/T Auf Weidersehen

10 pm Tonight , on Freeview ( yesterday channel )
    1st episode of the Original series ,
    I really enjoyed this programme , it must be 30 years since it first recorded ?
    some great characters in this show

totally agreed, I particularly loved the episodes when they were redeveloping Thornley Manor.

The series was first Broadcast in 1983, and is still much better than some of the s h i t e they are serving up nowadays.
    Last edited by DragonTyke; 31-05-2020 at 12:41 PM.

It's on regular on freeveiw drama channel they've just shown when they moved macums transport bridge to America and now they're showing their Cuba escapades

One of the actors died yesterday, Michael Angelis.
    I loved his episode in Boys from the Blackstuff.
    That was a brilliant series.
    His wife in that was Julie Walters.

Auf wiedershen and blackstuff are classics. Blackstuff was written by Alan Bleasdale who was only in his early thirties when he penned the series which was outstandingly written considering he was so young. RIP Michael Angelis who was a fine actor and also did the narration on Thomas the Tank engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Romared View Post
    10 pm Tonight , on Freeview ( yesterday channel )
    1st episode of the Original series ,
    I really enjoyed this programme , it must be 30 years since it first recorded ?
    some great characters in this show
    1st episode in Germany is one of my favourites out of them all. Some great dialogue and humour

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    Auf wiedershen and blackstuff are classics. Blackstuff was written by Alan Bleasdale who was only in his early thirties when he penned the series which was outstandingly written considering he was so young. RIP Michael Angelis who was a fine actor and also did the narration on Thomas the Tank engine.
    Captured the times perfectly Pass , plenty of humour but there was also an underlying message of what was happening in the industrial communities at that time .

Some of the Boys From The Blackstuff content was actually quite tragic , the Yosser Hughes mental breakdown for instance .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Captured the times perfectly Pass , plenty of humour but there was also an underlying message of what was happening in the industrial communities at that time .

Some of the Boys From The Blackstuff content was actually quite tragic , the Yosser Hughes mental breakdown for instance .
    On the opening credits of the Germany AWP it shows the lads signing on and at the job centre. It also shows the billboard with the 1979 Tory election campaign slogan stating that 'Labour isn't working'. The irony of that is unemployment peaked at 12% under the Thatcher regime in the mid 80s.

The Blackstuff is dark, very dark indeed and a couple of episodes brought a tear to my eye. Most places up north were on their knees. I was too young to appreciate what was really going on back then but these excellent TV programmes captured the times as you say.

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    On the opening credits of the Germany AWP it shows the lads signing on and at the job centre. It also shows the billboard with the 1979 Tory election campaign slogan stating that 'Labour isn't working'. The irony of that is unemployment peaked at 12% under the Thatcher regime in the mid 80s.

The Blackstuff is dark, very dark indeed and a couple of episodes brought a tear to my eye. Most places up north were on their knees. I was too young to appreciate what was really going on back then but these excellent TV programmes captured the times as you say.
    "Gizza Job go on gizza job a can walk straight " , " father I'm desperate " priest " call me Dan " I'm Desperate Dan" good owd yossa ,
    Jimmy Nail ont juke box , " AGGA BLOODY DOO "
    That Timothy Spalls wa very underrated, went on to have a very good career tho,

Quote Originally Posted by Romared View Post
    "Gizza Job go on gizza job a can walk straight " , " father I'm desperate " priest " call me Dan " I'm Desperate Dan" good owd yossa ,
    Jimmy Nail ont juke box , " AGGA BLOODY DOO "
    That Timothy Spalls wa very underrated, went on to have a very good career tho,

All are/were great actors Roma, they've all gone on to have very successful careers. Timothy Spall who plays the hapless Barry is a londoner although you wouldn't know it with that excellent brummie accent. Christopher Fairbank who played scouser Moxey is also a southerner.

"Who's Lotte!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast