+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: O/T Auf Weidersehen

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    On the opening credits of the Germany AWP it shows the lads signing on and at the job centre. It also shows the billboard with the 1979 Tory election campaign slogan stating that 'Labour isn't working'. The irony of that is unemployment peaked at 12% under the Thatcher regime in the mid 80s.

The Blackstuff is dark, very dark indeed and a couple of episodes brought a tear to my eye. Most places up north were on their knees. I was too young to appreciate what was really going on back then but these excellent TV programmes captured the times as you say.
    Newcastle and Liverpool were particularly hit hard in the 80's , cuts and massive unemployment .

Liverpool city council under Derek Hatton decided to set their own budget and it really kicked off then .

Kinnock expelled em from the Labour Party .

Makes me smile today when folk think Brexit had us close to a civil war .

Shadow boxing by comparison to the 80's .

Short documentary on what was going on in Liverpool at that time , about 7 minutes .

https://youtu.be/WvHxSb_su_U

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Newcastle and Liverpool were particularly hit hard in the 80's , cuts and massive unemployment .

Liverpool city council under Derek Hatton decided to set their own budget and it really kicked off then .

Kinnock expelled em from the Labour Party .

Makes me smile today when folk think Brexit had us close to a civil war .

Shadow boxing by comparison to the 80's .

Short documentary on what was going on in Liverpool at that time , about 7 minutes .

https://youtu.be/WvHxSb_su_U
    Interesting stuff Animal from a time when people showed some backbone and unity. Movements like this and the miners strike are on the peripherals of my memory because as I say, I was only a juvenile at the time. However, I grew up in the aftermath of the Thatcher regime which left a lasting impression. It's beyond me to this day how it was allowed to get so bad. I watched Billy Elliot on BBC last night, great film and a reminder of the hardships communities went through in those tough times.

Interesting stuff Animal from a time when people showed some backbone and unity. Movements like this and the miners strike are on the peripherals of my memory because as I say, I was only a juvenile at the time. However, I grew up in the aftermath of the Thatcher regime which left a lasting impression. It's beyond me to this day how it was allowed to get so bad. I watched Billy Elliot on BBC last night, great film and a reminder of the hardships communities went through in those tough times.
    It was allowed to get so bad Pass because we were beaten mate , simple as that .

Once she was out of the picture and the Tories were defeated in 97 it was too late , the country couldn't be changed , all you could do was stick plasters on it .

It's a divisive topic because there's was plenty wrong with the country in the 70's and 80's and it wouldn't be right to say there wasn't .

Both sides of the divide were extreme in their pursuit of their ideology depending on where you lived of course .

Plenty of the working class in other areas did very well out of Thatcher but to say she was Britain's greatest ever PM is quite frankly b@llax .

Videos such as the above tell you different and that goes across many Northern and Midlands towns and city's .

What always irritates me is when they show you the Liverpool and Newcastle today and say look how it's been transformed , look at Albert Dock and Newcastle city centre down by the Tyne ect and the investment .

Aye but they don't show you Toxteth , Walton or Anfield and the poverty .

A city and a town is defined by its whole population not rich swa nky waterfront apartments and restaurants that only 1% can afford .
    Last edited by animallittle3; 01-06-2020 at 12:33 PM.

Move on Animal.

Good old Boris got elected on his promise to "level up" left behind Northern areas. His word is his bond and he has said we can trust him. "I will not let down the people in the North who put their trust in us and voted Tory". Tha can't gerrit much clearer than that.

Tory Doduth (still can't believe am typing those two words next to each other) is on the march onto the sunny uplands.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    Move on Animal.

Good old Boris got elected on his promise to "level up" left behind Northern areas. His word is his bond and he has said we can trust him. "I will not let down the people in the North who put their trust in us and voted Tory". Tha can't gerrit much clearer than that.

Tory Doduth (still can't believe am typing those two words next to each other) is on the march onto the sunny uplands.
    I reckon Covid will put the kaibosh on any improvements,except down south of course

All are/were great actors Roma, they've all gone on to have very successful careers. Timothy Spall who plays the hapless Barry is a londoner although you wouldn't know it with that excellent brummie accent. Christopher Fairbank who played scouser Moxey is also a southerner.

"Who's Lotte!"
    Brenda wintbi happy ,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12