Get prepared for when football returns - Stock up on PPE now!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: O/T Barnsley market featured on BBC Breakfast

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    7,474

    O/T Barnsley market featured on BBC Breakfast

    Some market traders opened back up for business this morning. BBC are there with their cameras interviewing market traders and members of the public. I dare say things seem a little more optimistic but scientists are still concerned that lockdown measures have been relaxed too quickly.


    Let's hope that people are sensible and not thinking that this Covid situation is at a premature end. However, judging by the shots captured over the weekend in our seaside resorts, it seems difficult to not see a second outbreak looming

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    13,186

    Smile

    I hope they don't do what they often do in Barnsley streets--film a dozen interviews with intelligent, articulate contributions and then discard those and show the one with a fat, tattooed lass wi teeth missing and greasy hair spouting b0ll0cks.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    16,103
    Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    Some market traders opened back up for business this morning. BBC are there with their cameras interviewing market traders and members of the public. I dare say things seem a little more optimistic but scientists are still concerned that lockdown measures have been relaxed too quickly.


    Let's hope that people are sensible and not thinking that this Covid situation is at a premature end. However, judging by the shots captured over the weekend in our seaside resorts, it seems difficult to not see a second outbreak looming
    Well the government have had their warnings as you say Pass from experts .

    That R number not down enough for them and people starting to go out and gather in larger numbers .

    Raab saying we can't remain like this for ever well I don't remember anyone suggesting that we would .

    I sincerely hope we don't see a second wave but if we do the experts have covered their asses .

    A wing and a prayer .

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    7,474
    Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    I hope they don't do what they often do in Barnsley streets--film a dozen interviews with intelligent, articulate contributions and then discard those and show the one with a fat, tattooed lass wi teeth missing and greasy hair spouting b0ll0cks.
    They refrained from that SB although later on in the show they couldn't resist putting pigeon racing and Barnsley in tandem.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    7,474
    Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Well the government have had their warnings as you say Pass from experts .

    That R number not down enough for them and people starting to go out and gather in larger numbers .

    Raab saying we can't remain like this for ever well I don't remember anyone suggesting that we would .

    I sincerely hope we don't see a second wave but if we do the experts have covered their asses .

    A wing and a prayer .
    Agree Animal, a wing and a prayer indeed. However, It's disappointing that folk don't have more common sense it has to be said.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    2,906
    The indoor market is rubbish there used to be loads of butchers stalls and fruit and veg stalls plus loads of others offering their goods at a decent price but now it's an empty cold with no atmosphere concrete balls up this is because of the large rental and having to commit to a long contract the majority have left, therefore the existing traders are having to to increase prices to make it pay which is obviously no good for the customer well done Barnsley council for doing it all in the name of rejuvenation, this process hasn't worked and destroyed a once famous market.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    16,103
    Quote Originally Posted by DOOALI View Post
    The indoor market is rubbish there used to be loads of butchers stalls and fruit and veg stalls plus loads of others offering their goods at a decent price but now it's an empty cold with no atmosphere concrete balls up this is because of the large rental and having to commit to a long contract the majority have left, therefore the existing traders are having to to increase prices to make it pay which is obviously no good for the customer well done Barnsley council for doing it all in the name of rejuvenation, this process hasn't worked and destroyed a once famous market.
    The problem is dooali market trading isn't what it was , supermarkets , retail parks and online shopping have killed it .

    I can remember as a kid going with my mam on the old Barnsley market in the early 70's and you had to keep hold of her hand or you'd risk getting separated with the sheer amount of shoppers walking around .

    I actually don't know how they make a living to be honest , surprised they even built it .

    Would have made more sense just to have stalls on the precinct .

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    2,906
    these farmers markets with other artisans do well even with supermarkets in their area, if you put quality produce at a reasonable price it attracts shoppers from around the area

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    7,474
    Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    The problem is dooali market trading isn't what it was , supermarkets , retail parks and online shopping have killed it .

    I can remember as a kid going with my mam on the old Barnsley market in the early 70's and you had to keep hold of her hand or you'd risk getting separated with the sheer amount of shoppers walking around .

    I actually don't know how they make a living to be honest , surprised they even built it .

    Would have made more sense just to have stalls on the precinct .

    Unfortunately the market has become an outdated concept. I don't use it enough and it's only 5 mins walk from my house. When I do use it I can't help but notice that the vast majority of the clientele are the older generation. When the older generation are no longer with us I feel the market stalls will die along with them.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    7,474
    Quote Originally Posted by DOOALI View Post
    these farmers markets with other artisans do well even with supermarkets in their area, if you put quality produce at a reasonable price it attracts shoppers from around the area

    I agree with your concept Dools but unfortunately you're talking about a dying breed. I think it's down to the way the world has become where time and convenience rules above anything else.

    Families these days generally have to have two working parents which leaves little opportunity to devote time to shopping for quality produce. One trip in the car to the supermarket every week will suffice rather than 2 or 3 trips to the open market per week on foot lugging bags back with them.

    I'm a keen cook myself and very seldom use pre prepared/convenience food. I always try to cook from fresh but it takes time and devotion to see an end result, not something I'm always geared up for after a days graft but I do it because food is a pleasure and honing my cookery skills keep my mind occupied.

    Most of the people my age and younger are opposed to cooking. On the whole, they have no appreciation of decent snap or what they put into their mouths. Many folk either eat out, get a takeaway or chuck a ready meal in the microwave. I don't see this changing anytime soon unless they push for more cookery lessons at schools and then future generations can be more educated in the importance of fresh ingredients & healthy eating.

    Shopping has changed in every aspect. I'm guilty myself of using supermarkets as a convenience but at the end of the day it's more practical for us as a family.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •