+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I like Nicola

A new party of the Left of centre would suit me in Scotland.

Breaks my heart to see Labour in the state they are in but maybe SKS with turn it around.

I hope all the nations that make up the UK get the exit from this current crises correct and we can move back to something approaching normality.

Quote Originally Posted by Shuntz View Post

Breaks my heart to see Labour in the state they are in but maybe SKS with turn it around.

I hope all the nations that make up the UK get the exit from this current crises correct and we can move back to something approaching normality.
    i echo your thoughts re the labour party shuntz i really do

Quote Originally Posted by shaded View Post
    m going to have a wee nibble here,
    the pandemic has really exploited the tories,
    labour party is finished without Scottish votes
    what other options do we have?

im now leaning very strongly to independence where once granted the snp will no longer exist due to having gained their aim,they would have to run the country until the political scene was reformed here,possibly for a year at the max,one thing for sure is that the main parties in an independent Scotland would be very interesting indeed,dont think there would be any appetite for a tory party nor a hugely out of touch labour party,try asking a question via email to Labour, i did and despite 6 messages/4 phone calls to Glasgow not a single follow up.They lost my vote after that.

Can NS be called out for taking an advantage against her political opponents here in Scotland?absolutely not!
    She has came across waist/head and shoulders above any other political leader during the virus.PS im not snp but would now vote for independence as long as there was a guarantee they would hand over power after the first election.
    How is an independent Scotland going to raise the £32.5 Billion they are currently receiving annually from Westminster under the rules of the Barnett Formula plus the extra £1.2 Billion they have received from Westminster to deal with the extra costs of dealing with the Covid-19 pandemic It will not come from the Scottish Government ‘magic money tree’.

Peter there would have to be an election within a set time,i understand what you are saying re me saying tories/lab would struggle and snp will have achieved their aim,however one thing for sure is any party that survived and any other possible new party arising would have to be on the pulse with the Scottish electorate.

Im not a political expert but im savvy enough to see that the tories and lab would have their work cut out to compete at the polls.

im not sure what happened internally in other countries within their parliament once they gained independence,ie party set up before and after,might have a wee google of that later.
    Shaded.
    If Scotland became an independent country the Scottish National Party would fold as it had achieved its aim. The SNP members and voters would revert to voting for their previous political parties with most of them reverting back to voting Labour.
    Nicola would be off on the world public speaking tour for former leaders having lifted the interdict she took out in February 2017 to prevent UK newspapers and the UK media publishing information about her love life.
    Last edited by islaydarkblue; 01-06-2020 at 10:16 AM.

m going to have a wee nibble here,
    the pandemic has really exploited the tories,
    labour party is finished without Scottish votes
    what other options do we have?

im now leaning very strongly to independence where once granted the snp will no longer exist due to having gained their aim,they would have to run the country until the political scene was reformed here,possibly for a year at the max,one thing for sure is that the main parties in an independent Scotland would be very interesting indeed,dont think there would be any appetite for a tory party nor a hugely out of touch labour party,try asking a question via email to Labour, i did and despite 6 messages/4 phone calls to Glasgow not a single follow up.They lost my vote after that.

Can NS be called out for taking an advantage against her political opponents here in Scotland?absolutely not!
    She has came across waist/head and shoulders above any other political leader during the virus.PS im not snp but would now vote for independence as long as there was a guarantee they would hand over power after the first election.
    How would we pay pensions?

Quote Originally Posted by noahrab View Post
    How would we pay pensions?
    Noaharab
    In my opinion an independent Scotland is just a dream but in reality it is a non starter.
    All the financial companies in Edinburgh including the RBS who are now called the Nat West Group will move their offices to England resulting in all the wealth draining out of an independent Scotland.
    The vast majority of whisky companies are foreign owned or have their head office in England so their will be little taxation from whisky when it comes out of the bonded warehouses.

Quote Originally Posted by Shuntz View Post

i echo your thoughts re the labour party shuntz i really do

noah,re pension payment that is many miles above my head,however id imagine that would be a case for the 1st elected government to thrash out,id imagine it would be in the same ball park as the electricity and water that flows out of Scotland to England things would need to be negotiated,no mean feat but id expect doable

noah,re pension payment that is many miles above my head,however id imagine that would be a case for the 1st elected government to thrash out,id imagine it would be in the same ball park as the electricity and water that flows out of Scotland to England things would need to be negotiated,no mean feat but id expect doable
    Hi Shaded.
    At present the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) pays state pensions throughout the whole of the UK but an independent Scottish Government would have to pay all the state pensions for OAP’s throughout Scotland. They would also be responsible for the payment of all benefits to Scottish residents where applicable.
    Incidentally the Scottish Government have already been given powers by Westminster to pay extra benefits in Scotland. A couple of years ago Michael Russell SNP MSP for Argyll and Bute and former Cabinet Secretary for Education and Lifelong Learning admitted on BBC Question Time that they had been awarded these powers but could not use them as they were too expensive.
    How can Scotland become an independent country if they cannot currently use extra welfare powers that have been granted to them because they would cost too much money out of their annual handout from Westminster.
    This is the real world not Brigadoon!!

Before you think about voting for independence I think you need to brush up on the economics of it.

It’s not like biased Facebook sites and memes would have you believe. The SNP do nothing to correct them though as they need Daftie’s to believe it.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)