+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Retained list

Retained list

On the OS Artell has stated that the retained list will be issued this week. Does anybody know who is out of contract next month and of those who should we retain?

This was the list - I believe at least one extended already:

Nicky Hunt Centre-Back Sep 3, 1983 (36) 30.06.2020
    Paul Green Central Midfield Apr 10, 1983 (37) 30.06.2020
    Chris Porter Centre-Forward Dec 12, 1983 (36) 30.06.2020
    Chuma Anene Centre-Forward May 14, 1993 (27)30.06.2020 - loan
    Dino Visser Goalkeeper Jul 10, 1989 (30) 30.06.2020
    Eddie Nolan Centre-Back Aug 5, 1988 (31) 30.06.2020
    Shaun Miller Centre-Forward Sep 25, 1987 (32) 30.06.2020 - gone
    James Jones Central Midfield Feb 13, 1996 (24) 30.06.2020 - ??
    Dave Richards Goalkeeper Dec 31, 1993 (26) 30.06.2020
    Ryan Wintle Central Midfield Jun 13, 1997 (22) 30.06.2020 - Extended surely during year
    Oli Finney Central Midfield Dec 15, 1997 (22) 30.06.2020 - Option for a further year
    Owen Dale Forward Nov 1, 1998 (21) 30.06.2020
    Josh Lundstram Central Midfield Feb 19, 1999 (21) 30.06.2020
    Lewis Reilly Centre-Forward Jul 7, 1999 (20) 30.06.2020
    Regan Griffiths Left Midfield May 1, 2000 (20) 30.06.2020
    Rio Adebisi Left-Back Sep 27, 2000 (19) 30.06.2020

Also Michael Nottingham and Stephen Walker on loan of course.

Then there's the second year scholars - I think they had to be told didn't we hear, but we haven't been.
    Last edited by ShropshireAlex; 01-06-2020 at 05:41 PM.

Many thanks for that Shropsire. At first glance I can only see maybe 5 or 6 of those being retained under the current circumstances - all under the age of 23. Some I would like us to keep like Green, but at 37 is he too old? If Green is released then there maybe is a case of keeping Jones as his replacement.

The other question is: Are any of our other players likely to move on in the transfer window? Ng, Kirk etc. I hope not as it would set us back as a team but also in todays climate I would expect the "value" of these players to be reduced.

Any thoughts, Anybody!

I can't see anybody being sold now in today's climate. I think we are best to try and extend some of the younger players contracts. By that I mean NG/Kirk/Pixie/Ainley Also contracts for those like Adebesi. Regards buying, there should be some bargains out there that want some security from a club that is well managed

I do think DA likes an experienced group in his squad (as Dario had in his Championship teams) so if Eddie Nolan's fully recovered expect him to be resigned. Hunt, Porter & Green all being the same age I can't see them all being in our league 1 squad, but we need to replace Porter's goals somehow. Greeny I could imagine getting a coaching contract and appearance money? Jonah's future is an interesting decision, for him and for us.

I think Perry and Charlie Kirk might well have been going this summer but as you say changed circumstances - financially we might be better hanging on to them in the hope they'd fetch a better price next year (or January).

I can’t see us retaining Green - he’s been good but we aren’t short in that department and he has been less effective this season, particularly with Finney and Lowery breaking through.

I would rather try and get Nottingham and release Hunt - Johnson and Adebisi are promising so, assuming Perry and Pixie don’t leave, we have cover all along the back - ah, should have said I’m keeping Steady Eddie!

Porter is the tricky one, for me. He hasn’t got much pace, but that hasn’t stopped Akinfenwa banging them in for Wycombe in L1; I think the players we have playing off a big fella like Ports has served us well and Dave must think so or he wouldn’t have taken Anene on loan. With players being released, however, we might be able to pick up a younger and/or quicker model!

I suspect one or two of our ‘older’ kids will get offers in the summer. The salaries offered won’t be the same as last summer but will still be more than we pay at some clubs who will be looking for good, cheap signings. Kirk, Perry and Wintle would be top of my shopping list if I owned Wigan, Coventry or the like. But I hope I’m wrong on this!!

Problem with u-23s is that you have to offer them more than they are on otherwise they can go for free !!
    As said earlier we need to extend some contracts as some players we thought might be sold can go for free next year

I think that promotion helps a lot - giving these young players the chance to play at a higher level with their mates is attractive to them. They do seem to be a pretty tight group who enjoy playing together.

What might be harder for us - and a lot of our rivals - is signing decent loan players. I’d like to be able to get Stephen Walker for a season, but Middlesbrough will seem him as a good and cheap option themselves. He won’t be the only one. Whilst this will, I think, be great for English players and English football, not so good for us!

Can't see us getting anywhere near Walker as he's on a long contract with Boro'. I'd like Green to stay in some capacity (but what?) but one year older and the prospect of playing at another level may limit his effectiveness. Jonah, needs to stay. He was just getting into some rhythm when the season ended. Both the young fullbacks should stay as the 1st choice pair may up and go in the near future. Can't see Hunt WANTING to continue. Nolan is a MUST. Porter, despite his tiring body, still get goals at a fairly regular frequency so we need someone on standby (not Chuma). Visser and Miller are non-starters anyway. Richards should have a years extension while the 3rd choice goalie catches up. I thought Wintle had already been secured and Finney is one of DA's pet projects so he'll be offered a retainer.
    Don't know enough about Lundstram and Griffiths to comment (any views?) but I am beginning to wonder if Reilly will ever make the step up.
    I would've thought the stability and set up at the Alex (and possibly L1 status) may make a decent placing for a couple of good quality loanees. Whatever, we will need a 'centre-forward' and another winger for next season (amongst 1 or 2 other possibilities)

with reference to my comment above, has anyone got a low-down on what's coming through the academy system for the future (or even, at some stage, next season?)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast