+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is ready for the top flight?

Quote Originally Posted by BudMill90 View Post
    Watson left because connolly and reynolds have longer contracts. Simple as that.

Connolly and Reynolds have proved they can handle the Premiership to be fair. Connolly was a standout and captain of Killie. He'll be fine. Reynolds is getting on a bit now but will be able to play a part. I do hope we see 2 at least 1 new CB though as a minimum.
    Cant contracts be extended if the player is having a good season? Don't think it is as simple as you think.

That would mean that if a few players were having a horrendous season yet still had long contracts, they would stay and others would be let go ? Hmmmmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Yeats 62 View Post
    Cant contracts be extended if the player is having a good season? Don't think it is as simple as you think.

That would mean that if a few players were having a horrendous season yet still had long contracts, they would stay and others would be let go ? Hmmmmmmmm
    I dont know if I made myself clear really. Those 3 are pretty much all at a similar level.

The fact that Watson was released says to me that RN does want to add more quality to that position to upgrade from what we had. We didnt need the 3 of them who are all at the same level. We need upgrades.

The fact that MC and MR are on longer contracts made the decision for him. If Watson was contracted until 2021 and Reynolds was out of contract this summer, Reynolds would have left and Watson would have stayed.

Worth noting that Connolly and Reynolds had very good seasons and not horrendous as you say. So Watson leaving makes sense to me assuming we replace him with someone better which I expect to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by BudMill90 View Post
    I dont know if I made myself clear really. Those 3 are pretty much all at a similar level.

The fact that Watson was released says to me that RN does want to add more quality to that position to upgrade from what we had. We didnt need the 3 of them who are all at the same level. We need upgrades.

The fact that MC and MR are on longer contracts made the decision for him. If Watson was contracted until 2021 and Reynolds was out of contract this summer, Reynolds would have left and Watson would have stayed.

Worth noting that Connolly and Reynolds had very good seasons and not horrendous as you say. So Watson leaving makes sense to me assuming we replace him with someone better which I expect to happen.
    In your opinion they are at the same level. I thought Watson was more level headed and steadier than both of them. And I wasn't stating that Connolly and Reynolds were horrendous, although I see it might have looked that way. I like both of them for different reasons. You are either the best player in that position or you are not, contracts should never come in to it, it should always be about the best team on the park at the best given moment.

It's amazing how Watson has turned into a world beater. He was bang average and had a lot of poor games fr us.

In your opinion they are at the same level. I thought Watson was more level headed and steadier than both of them. And I wasn't stating that Connolly and Reynolds were horrendous, although I see it might have looked that way. I like both of them for different reasons. You are either the best player in that position or you are not, contracts should never come in to it, it should always be about the best team on the park at the best given moment.
    Thats fair enough if you think there was a bigger difference between them than me. But the 2nd half of your reply I disagree with as contracts do have to come into it. Reynolds has 2 years left and Connolly has 1. If for some reason we wanted to pay one of them off it would probably cost anywhere between £75-125k. Even if I thought Watson was better than the other 2, I still wouldnt agree that paying off Connolly or Reynolds at the above price to keep Watson would make any business sense unless he was going to make us money down the line, which he wouldnt have.

My point here is that RN wants to upgrade on the current level of CBs that we had last season (meaning all 3 of them) and Watson, as well as he did last season, was just unlucky that his contract was up.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    It's amazing how Watson has turned into a world beater. He was bang average and had a lot of poor games fr us.
    "world beater" ??? no seeing that triple T

might want to look at the stats when he wasn't payed at right back!

I'm sure our best run was when he was playing CB, then a usual suspect got half fit and popped back in again.

I'm sure Messi, will worry about that

"world beater" ??? no seeing that triple T

might want to look at the stats when he wasn't payed at right back!

I'm sure our best run was when he was playing CB, then a usual suspect got half fit and popped back in again.
    Hyperbole. I'd be interested to see those stats, you have them? Not that it really matters now anyway I guess.

Hyperbole. I'd be interested to see those stats, you have them? Not that it really matters now anyway I guess.
    Win % last season:

Reynolds 64.5%
    Connolly 59.1%
    Watson 56.5%

Granted that Watson played 3 games at right back, 2 of which we lost (Qots and Alloa)

As you well know I won't have those stats. But we know a man that might.

I'm not a stat man really, but I'm sure our best undefeated run and clean sheets all involved Watson at CB.

I'm not a superfan of Watson but do think during his time at Tannadice he was used badly.

anyway...…………….. onwards and upwards as they say

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)