+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 tweets about EFL & NL

I know originally this meeting was for discussions to finalise agreements of playoffs at Steps 5 and 6 (Level 9 and 10) to promote 2 teams rather than the normal one only.
    However it is very likely the they will want/be told to push the seasons back to September, they are cancelling all league cups and possibly FA Cup entrance. As far as I know for Step 5 etc the Vase will still go ahead.
    Aside from that it could be anything.

Quote Originally Posted by bouncingoffthewalls View Post
    The average attenance for the season so far at Wycombe is around 5.5k, so if they are using the furlough scheme to cover most wages they must have been making a decent loss before this sh*t storm hit.
    It's a sign of where the game ended up and what clubs needed to do to compete. I hope that clubs and their owners will learn a big lesson from this and the football authorities also learn that football has got to wake up and get in the real financial world. Certainly in League One and League Two.

For along time football has it's lived in it's own bubble immune from what else goes off in the world. Too many times in the past we've heard that football is not like other business. Well one thing that this virus has done has leveled them up with the rest of the businesses in the world.

Football clubs simply cannot spend more than they earn in the future and therefore they now need to be run on the old principle of not spending more than you have coming in. The biggest outlay by far is player wages and that is where the power needs to now go back to the clubs.

It's time the efl got the season ending sorted. Dragging there feet a bit

They are going to promote the top two so other clubs get the revenue benefit from playing us next season

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyt1 View Post
    They are going to promote the top two so other clubs get the revenue benefit from playing us next season
    That would be so unfair but it wouldn't at all surprise me.

I think that's unlikely. Play offs continue in the EFL which is a strong precedent and a decision to promote the top two would no doubt lead to a legal challenge from Notts and others. There's also a small question mark about whether Harrogate will have the time to replace their plastic pitch in time for next season (if it starts on time, and that's a big if still). The cleanest route forward is to run the playoffs.

Not that I’m into conspiracy theories or owt but Notts are one of the biggest clubs to have ever been in the NL. That is a big help when you’re trying to sell your product to potential advertisers and sponsors from both the leagues and the clubs point of view.
    I just have this feeling we will get shafted as everyone other than us will financially benefit from us not getting promoted.
    Really hope I’m wrong!

Hope not!

Wouldn't surprise me, but the NL have also got to ensure a season can start BCD or under social distancing guidelines. Neither are financially viable for just about every club in the NL. That would mean no relegation from L2 and just Barrow to get promoted to make up the numbers due to Bury.

Basically if the play off's aren't agreed then we are stuck in a big puddle of pooh.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    It's a sign of where the game ended up and what clubs needed to do to compete. I hope that clubs and their owners will learn a big lesson from this and the football authorities also learn that football has got to wake up and get in the real financial world. Certainly in League One and League Two.

For along time football has it's lived in it's own bubble immune from what else goes off in the world. Too many times in the past we've heard that football is not like other business. Well one thing that this virus has done has leveled them up with the rest of the businesses in the world.

Football clubs simply cannot spend more than they earn in the future and therefore they now need to be run on the old principle of not spending more than you have coming in. The biggest outlay by far is player wages and that is where the power needs to now go back to the clubs.
    Will it be business as usual for clubs' sponsors, maybe at the premier League level. League 1 2 and national League it's hard to see smaller businesses putting the same cash in . Like you say all leading to a big change for clubs and adjusting wages.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast