+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Traitors

It doesn't matter how many years they choose when they add. "Teams wont be relegated"
    Omg we have heard some bull coming from footy players/managers/chairman/politicians/ex science teacher over the past few month.

Quote Originally Posted by flourbasher View Post
    Camilla.
    Some good observations there.
    Have you considered sending your thoughts to RUFC and / or the EFL
    I'm sure Tone would appreciate it
    Thanks for the comment flour but I'm not sure I'm any more credible than anyone else manipulating numbers to suit themselves. I'm sure someone would say "Why should some bloke who spends his time ratifying bus/train ridership numbers 5,000 miles away be listened to in relation to what's happening in the EFL"

Does the Tranmere option take into account playing in the Championship is much harder than Divs 1 and 2, so would we get added credit for that ?

Quote Originally Posted by Slimchance View Post
    Does the Tranmere option take into account playing in the Championship is much harder than Divs 1 and 2, so would we get added credit for that ?
    No but it does take into account Tranmere playing in the Conference and L2 making it easier for them to stay up.

Quote Originally Posted by Slimchance View Post
    It's not at all related to specific teams and where they were in previous seasons. It looks at the way EFL shaped up over the previous 3 seasons and the chance of a team finishing Nth when they were Nth with N games to go.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    It's not at all related to specific teams and where they were in previous seasons. It looks at the way EFL shaped up over the previous 3 seasons and the chance of a team finishing Nth when they were Nth with N games to go.
    Thanks for that, I'm glad it's so simple

I’ve had a number of debates via Twitter with Nicola Palios.

I admire her for her grit and she kept saying to me I hadn’t read the proposal. Thing is I’ve read it all and it is totally flawed but she doesn’t see it. Their local radio presenter covered it yesterday & stated it affected no one adversely but it actually does, which is a point that is conveniently not mentioned.

This system works on the basis that if you are within the range of being caught by one or more teams immediately outside the promotion play offs you are “not promoted”. The point they miss is that no one - not even Coventry are promoted yet.
    There are 9-10 games left in our league and theoretically teams down to 16th place can still catch Coventry. Probability doesn’t come into it. That is a fact. That’s why Liverpool have not yet sealed the title. There is a high probability that they will (more than high) but until they cannot be caught it is not certain, no matter how remote the chances are. Maybe they should then apply the laws of possibility, the laws of unlikely or even the laws of remoteness.

Teams are not promoted or relegated on probability. It is based on fact. At the time the league was suspended there was a clear gap between second and third, such that even those with a game in hand of us, could not catch us.

As for Tranmere they could theoretically still be caught by Southend & Bolton, and could still theoretically get into the top 6 however ridiculous it might sound. These are facts. Facts are the only basis a decision can be made.

They applied the same to the second division, which would mean that no team would be automatically be promoted, only to clarify that, as Division 2 has already voted on it, then it was ok. They did this using the explanation that each league has its own rules. RUBBISH. They are part of the EFL and are bound by the same rules.
    You can’t have a situation whereby one division has completely different rules from the other, particularly when, as a result of a decision, teams are possibly going to be in the same league next season. Promotion and relegation has to be consistent.
    Imagine us (2nd) staying in league 1 and next season playing say Exeter, who finished 4th in league 2 (at the time games were suspended), and for the sake of argument, had won the play offs.

I know it is difficult and Tranmere will feel hard done by but this is unprecedented and, if the league cannot be completed then this is the only way. Integrity is not a word I would use in football these days, due to everyone having vested interests, but extended play offs cannot happen simply because if such a thing was possible, there would be so many games that they may as well complete the season.

I am sure everyone would prefer to complete but at our level, the costs are too great and, aside from the play off semis and final, Sky would not really want to cover other games, given the saturation coverage there will be with the top two leagues.

Therefore aside from certain clubs with massive overheads, who you could argue shouldn’t be in this league anyway, and the fact there is no attendance or sky revenue, it would simply not be viable to continue and teams could then plan for next season.

Tranmere may feel hard done by but, I’ll tell you what hard done by is:
    Walsall 0 Halifax Town 1 at the end of the 1972/73 season.

Why you may ask?

Answer is it consigned us to relegation to the 4th Division for the first time ever, the above result being from a game 10 DAYS after the official season end, with Halifax (38 pts)needing to win their last game to consign us (41 pts) to relegation by the narrowest of margins on goal average ( this preceded goal difference) Walsall were mid table and weren’t really interested.

That is called being hard done by!!!!
    Last edited by Nardendee; 07-06-2020 at 01:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nardendee View Post
    I’ve had a number of debates via Twitter with Nicola Palios.

Their local radio presenter covered it yesterday & stated it affected no one adversely

As for Tranmere they could theoretically still be caught by Southend & Bolton, and could still theoretically get into the top 6 however ridiculous it might sound. These are facts. Facts are the only basis a decision can be made!
    Did Ms Palios explain why she thinks it's ok for Tranmere to be given a free pass against the drop when they are very close to Wimbledon, Dale and MKD. If we're retaining the same number of promotion places then why does she think that the number of relegation places should be reduced? At the very least there should be a relegation playoff.

It's double standards to say we haven't earnt promotion but they want a gift. Fortunately the other clubs appear to have seen through it.

Their reporter said it doesn't affect anyone adversely but if it affects us Plus also the four teams in the playoffs as they would have to compete with up to an additional four clubs to go up

Full of self interest, desperate and hopefully it will make them look a bit daft on Tuesday

Liam Hoden ( Doncaster Free Press reporter ) is he a traitor to Yorkshire teams other than Doncaster Rovers or a jealous pi**ack, when he wrote, One club, just down the road from here, seems to have been firmly in the crosshairs. Apparently if that club are promoted without played their final 9 matches, in spite of circumstances will, " Have got away with Murder "

Take it he's jealous of our team getting promoted.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericsladkilnhurst View Post
    Liam Hoden ( Doncaster Free Press reporter ) is he a traitor to Yorkshire teams other than Doncaster Rovers or a jealous pi**ack, when he wrote, One club, just down the road from here, seems to have been firmly in the crosshairs. Apparently if that club are promoted without played their final 9 matches, in spite of circumstances will, " Have got away with Murder "

Take it he's jealous of our team getting promoted.
    Eh? I think you're misreading his article. He is supportive of our case

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast