+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Mr George Floyd RIP

O/T:- Mr George Floyd RIP

When this unfortunate individual was allegedly suffocated by the police he was apparently high on meth, apparently used stolen money and had definitely had several previous stints in prison. As a direct result of this several hundred million (billion?) dollars worth of damage has been caused by rioters, looters, protestors and so on. Cops at fault or U.S. society? Perhaps a cunning way for Trump to hide the Corona headline? However the way the police reacted was wrong and they are nasty racist and so on according to opinion. In the meantime everyone jumps on the social media bandwagon and posts about how black lives matter and so on and so forth, most of it being a load of of token horse manure because if they don't they might lose business / popularity and so on. I'm at a loss. Still 70AU cents to the dollar again. Glad I live in nowheresville.

*******s to the USA.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 04-06-2020 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Fixed title/prefix format

When this unfortunate individual was allegedly suffocated by the police he was apparently high on meth, apparently used stolen money and had definitely had several previous stints in prison.
    Relevant points in bold. The rest is akin to telling a rape victim she shouldn't have worn a short skirt.

This was a cowardly murder. The victim's past drug use or prior trouble with the law is irrelevant to this case. His murderer knelt on his neck for NINE MINUTES.

I don't think his killing was as much to do with race as it is to do with incompetent (just plain thick) policemen.

They've done exactly the same thing to people of other races too in the past and it received way less headlines than it should have done in my opinion, the case of Tony Timpa is disgraceful - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X4PUwrq8tA

The officers joke and laugh that the guy they're kneeling on has fallen asleep and when the medics arrive and they realise he's out cold the following exchange takes place
    Cop that was kneeling on him - "Oh **** I hope we didn't kill him"
    Other cop - "What's this "we" talk about?"
    All cops - "hahahaha"

A few moments later once the guy is in the ambulance and the medics are getting breathing apparatus together one of the cops approaches saying "I've got his mother on the phone" before he's abruptly interupted by a clearly pissed off medic saying "He's dead."

George Floyd was a catalyst for it all kicking off, the straw that broke the camels back, whether he was a nice person, a criminal, black, white, asian, on drugs it doesn't really matter, nobody should be treated the way he was and nobody should be killed like that, the officers need to be held accountable and the standards of policing needs to improve immensely imo as a lot of them aren't fit for purpose, yet carry around lethal weapons and usually have a badge to hide behind when they **** up.

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman25 View Post
    I don't think his killing was as much to do with race as it is to do with incompetent (just plain thick) policemen.

They've done exactly the same thing to people of other races too in the past and it received way less headlines than it should have done in my opinion, the case of Tony Timpa is disgraceful - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X4PUwrq8tA

The officers joke and laugh that the guy they're kneeling on has fallen asleep and when the medics arrive and they realise he's out cold the following exchange takes place
    Cop that was kneeling on him - "Oh **** I hope we didn't kill him"
    Other cop - "What's this "we" talk about?"
    All cops - "hahahaha"

A few moments later once the guy is in the ambulance and the medics are getting breathing apparatus together one of the cops approaches saying "I've got his mother on the phone" before he's abruptly interupted by a clearly pissed off medic saying "He's dead."

George Floyd was a catalyst for it all kicking off, the straw that broke the camels back, whether he was a nice person, a criminal, black, white, asian, on drugs it doesn't really matter, nobody should be treated the way he was and nobody should be killed like that, the officers need to be held accountable and the standards of policing needs to improve immensely imo as a lot of them aren't fit for purpose, yet carry around lethal weapons and usually have a badge to hide behind when they **** up.
    I was about to post something similar. There could be things we don't know about this case that will come out at the trial, but in a way it's not about that.

The death of George Floyd came just after two high profile cases. One was a black man shot dead because he was running and the other (in some ways the most shocking even though nobody was hurt) was a woman who deliberately called the police to say a black man was trying to kill her after said black man just asked her to put her dog on a lead while he was birdwatching.

It's the straw that broke the camel's back, definitely.

I'm not suggesting he was treated appropriately. What happened to him was a disgrace. None the less it seems that the media only want to report on what he did and not the situation(s) that lead up to it. Don't you find all these arse covering statements from businesses along the lines of " we respect black lives etc etc etc " a complete load of *******s? It completely defeats the point for me that they have to come out with this stuff and I find it entirely nauseating. Its no different to them all changing their logos into a rainbow colour on gay pride day etc etc. It goes without saying to me that ***uality or race should have no bearing on things but the reality of course is quite different. Why should riots in the USA grab the headlines when there are far worse race based genocides happening in the world right now such as in Sudan where millions have died and it barely gets a mention in the news and certainly no statements from companies along the lines of "we stand with Sudan" and so on. We live in a broken world when the racial inequality situation in the USA is more important than it is elsewhere where it is far worse.

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    One was a black man shot dead because he was running
    Slightly more to it than that, he was trespassing in a house that was under construction and he'd possibly been multiple times previously, if not him then someone that looked similar and there were others too, so it was an active problem that neighbours were aware of. He ran away from the building, a couple of local rednecks (that lived on the street) chased him down with guns in a pickup truck "to perform a citizens arrest", he continued to run away from them (which is fair enough if you think you can outrun armed people in a vehicle) but based on the reports and the video didn't really seem to be trying to get away from them and just before he was shot he was running towards the two armed guy's vehicle and was very close to the guy with a shotgun when he first got shot, running towards people you know are armed doesn't seem like the smartest thing to do in my opinion and it seems like he made a lot of bad decisions that cost him his life.

There's also a video of him being questioned/detained from a while back and his behavious in that doesn't paint the best picture of him but also shows police ineptitude as the second officer arrives on scene and tries to taze him almost immediately (but the tazer failed) despite the first officer already checking him for weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    I'm not suggesting he was treated appropriately. What happened to him was a disgrace. None the less it seems that the media only want to report on what he did and not the situation(s) that lead up to it. Don't you find all these arse covering statements from businesses along the lines of " we respect black lives etc etc etc " a complete load of *******s? It completely defeats the point for me that they have to come out with this stuff and I find it entirely nauseating. Its no different to them all changing their logos into a rainbow colour on gay pride day etc etc. It goes without saying to me that ***uality or race should have no bearing on things but the reality of course is quite different. Why should riots in the USA grab the headlines when there are far worse race based genocides happening in the world right now such as in Sudan where millions have died and it barely gets a mention in the news and certainly no statements from companies along the lines of "we stand with Sudan" and so on. We live in a broken world when the racial inequality situation in the USA is more important than it is elsewhere where it is far worse.
    Why do the problems in your own house - from an electricity fault to an adult row - get much more attention than what's going on 2 blocks away, Queenie?
    Same drink, smaller bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    Why do the problems in your own house - from an electricity fault to an adult row - get much more attention than what's going on 2 blocks away, Queenie?
    Same drink, smaller bottle.
    Rather shallow minded Sid I'd have expected better to be honest. Suggesting Sudan is a smaller bottle than the USA? The problem is 2 blocks wide if the block is the world but the only bit that matters is the USA apparently. The country is so far up its own anus its frightening.

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman25 View Post
    Slightly more to it than that, he was trespassing in a house that was under construction and he'd possibly been multiple times previously, if not him then someone that looked similar and there were others too, so it was an active problem that neighbours were aware of. He ran away from the building, a couple of local rednecks (that lived on the street) chased him down with guns in a pickup truck "to perform a citizens arrest", he continued to run away from them (which is fair enough if you think you can outrun armed people in a vehicle) but based on the reports and the video didn't really seem to be trying to get away from them and just before he was shot he was running towards the two armed guy's vehicle and was very close to the guy with a shotgun when he first got shot, running towards people you know are armed doesn't seem like the smartest thing to do in my opinion and it seems like he made a lot of bad decisions that cost him his life.

There's also a video of him being questioned/detained from a while back and his behavious in that doesn't paint the best picture of him but also shows police ineptitude as the second officer arrives on scene and tries to taze him almost immediately (but the tazer failed) despite the first officer already checking him for weapons.
    Yeah a couple of news reports for anyone interested here.

https://youtu.be/nMzcdGotbas

https://youtu.be/3XbF7-Hk7hc

The truth will hopefully come out at the trial. In any case my point was that there has been a build up of pressure with a few high profile cases and I think the Floyd case was the last straw.

This may be a TLDR, but have a look at this for a different angle on the subject.

Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast