+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Mr George Floyd RIP

Queensland makes some excellent points that I agree with. Nottingham city council drumming up support for the protest in the market square ! In the middle of a pandemic seems crass to me from a social distancing point.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    When this unfortunate individual was allegedly suffocated by the police he was apparently high on meth, apparently used stolen money and had definitely had several previous stints in prison. As a direct result of this several hundred million (billion?) dollars worth of damage has been caused by rioters, looters, protestors and so on. Cops at fault or U.S. society? Perhaps a cunning way for Trump to hide the Corona headline? However the way the police reacted was wrong and they are nasty racist and so on according to opinion. In the meantime everyone jumps on the social media bandwagon and posts about how black lives matter and so on and so forth, most of it being a load of of token horse manure because if they don't they might lose business / popularity and so on. I'm at a loss. Still 70AU cents to the dollar again. Glad I live in nowheresville.

*******s to the USA.
    Wow! "Allegedly" suffocated by the police? If you think you need to hedge your bets fair enough but there's 8 minutes and 46 seconds of video evidence doing the rounds that remove the need of that word for me. It quite clearly shows a police officer kneeling on a mans neck while he repeatedly says "I can't breathe" and "Please don't kill me."

I think it's entirely understandable why many many people are angry about this and why others are trying to listen, understand, demonstrate and change society so this doesn't keep on happening again and again. You just seem to be one of the people who has instead chosen to be angry at them for doing this. Which probably means you're a white privileged "nasty racist".
    Last edited by DaveSmithRules; 05-06-2020 at 05:52 PM.

Rather shallow minded Sid I'd have expected better to be honest. Suggesting Sudan is a smaller bottle than the USA? The problem is 2 blocks wide if the block is the world but the only bit that matters is the USA apparently. The country is so far up its own anus its frightening.
    It's not a shallow observation in my view. What can the USA do about Sudan or Syria or Afghanistan? Under Trump they are committed to withdrawal from most theatres of war and so is the UK and Australia.
    The turning point was when Obama chickened out of confronting Hassad in Syria. It's too late now.

Just when you think Trump can't go any lower, he manages to prove you wrong. His claim that George Floyd will "hopefully be looking down and thinking what a great day it is because unemployment has fallen" just beggars belief and makes you wonder about Trump's mental state.
    On the plus side, at last Joe Biden has said something worthwhile by replying "George Floyd's last words, 'I can't breathe, I can't breathe,' have echoed all across this nation...For the president to try to put any other words in the mouth of George Floyd I frankly think is despicable."

Looks like the whole thing has now turned into a "look how much of an 'educated' non-racist I now am" competition. If this incident had been framed as those in power kneeling on the necks of the rest of us (rather than it being all about skin colour again), we might actually begin to make some progress. Change the drug laws, change the gun laws, put an end to homelessness etc. but all we're going to get is British comedians apologizing for taking the pee out of black celebrities on some *** tv show made over 20 years ago and footballers displaying slogans on t-shirts after they score, so they can feel they are making a difference whilst in reality, nothing changes. It's pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Just when you think Trump can't go any lower, he manages to prove you wrong. His claim that George Floyd will "hopefully be looking down and thinking what a great day it is because unemployment has fallen" just beggars belief and makes you wonder about Trump's mental state.
    On the plus side, at last Joe Biden has said something worthwhile by replying "George Floyd's last words, 'I can't breathe, I can't breathe,' have echoed all across this nation...For the president to try to put any other words in the mouth of George Floyd I frankly think is despicable."
    It is clear that Trump is electioneering. Any excuse to say that unemployment has fallen.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSmithRules View Post
    Wow! "Allegedly" suffocated by the police? If you think you need to hedge your bets fair enough but there's 8 minutes and 46 seconds of video evidence doing the rounds that remove the need of that word for me. It quite clearly shows a police officer kneeling on a mans neck while he repeatedly says "I can't breathe" and "Please don't kill me."

I think it's entirely understandable why many many people are angry about this and why others are trying to listen, understand, demonstrate and change society so this doesn't keep on happening again and again. You just seem to be one of the people who has instead chosen to be angry at them for doing this. Which probably means you're a white privileged "nasty racist".
    I think it's entirely understandable as well, it seems you have completely misinterpreted what I have said. I can tell you now that I absolutely have not lead a life of privilege as you put it. I was (am) from working class parents who had little and everything I have now I have earnt and not been given. There were no hand outs for me and no purchased University place etc. If you want to judge me on the basis of the post that's your call and I hope you have a great day.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    It's not a shallow observation in my view. What can the USA do about Sudan or Syria or Afghanistan? Under Trump they are committed to withdrawal from most theatres of war and so is the UK and Australia.
    The turning point was when Obama chickened out of confronting Hassad in Syria. It's too late now.
    The media can freely report on the situation in Sudan and largely it chooses not to, instead focusing all its attention on in my opinion a much smaller problem in the USA is my point. What can the USA do about it? Well along with other countries it can reasonably report on the atrocities being committed to raise awareness of a global problem.

The media can freely report on the situation in Sudan and largely it chooses not to, instead focusing all its attention on in my opinion a much smaller problem in the USA is my point. What can the USA do about it? Well along with other countries it can reasonably report on the atrocities being committed to raise awareness of a global problem.
    On the subject of racial abuse, I've just seen this on the news concerning a Notts fan:

https://www.itv.com/news/central/202...online-attack/

Good to see the response from current and ex-players.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    On the subject of racial abuse, I've just seen this on the news concerning a Notts fan:

https://www.itv.com/news/central/202...online-attack/

Good to see the response from current and ex-players.
    Yes I had seen that. It's too easy to troll online these people should be hunted down and have their picture in lights in Slab Square.

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast