+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Academy Youngsters

Academy Youngsters

We have a decent sized list of youngsters who have played some small part in the first team during the last season or have gone out on loan and seem to keep being mentioned by Neilson/Asghar when discussing the young players at the club that they have high hopes for.

Kieran Freeman (full back)
    Ross Graham (left-sided centre half)
    Nathan Cooney (right back/centre half)
    Lewis Neilson (centre half/defensive mid)
    Jake Davidson (centre mid/full back)
    Chris Mochrie (centre mid)
    Declan Glass (centre mid)
    Logan Chalmers (winger)
    Archie Meekison (winger)

Quite a big list but all of these lads have either played a handful of games or been on the bench for the first team this season. Also some notable successful loans.

Who is your pick of the bunch and who do you see being able to make an impact on the first team next season?

I'd say Mochrie, Glass and Chalmers mist likely as they are already involved with the first team squad. Good things being said by Robbie about giving youth its chance so likely the others will be hovering there or thereabouts

Freeman also likely to be part of the first team squad I forgot to say

To be really honest mate i'm not sure of the pecking order but i hope most of them can do a job at Premiership level.The pandemic has blown a hole in the budget of most teams i would think.

Of course this does not apply to THE Rangers who needed to borrow ten million just to see out the season,they are spending again today.The Sheep also have a magic money tree as they are losing a million a month but want to bring Hayes back.

https://www.dundeeunitedfc.co.uk/ara...u18s---2019-20

For anyone looking to do a bit of research into the youngsters. Some good footage and interviews to help you get to know them a bit better. Decent content from the club. Watch out for a few screamers from Logan Chalmers in the matches towards the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by BudMill90 View Post
    https://www.dundeeunitedfc.co.uk/ara...u18s---2019-20

For anyone looking to do a bit of research into the youngsters. Some good footage and interviews to help you get to know them a bit better. Decent content from the club. Watch out for a few screamers from Logan Chalmers in the matches towards the end of the season.
    Cheers mate very helpful.

good list that - i do think in current circumstances youth will be given a shot and other teams will do the same. Lets hope this crop have some stars - i think glass, freeman and chalmers most likely (but you never know) mochrie seems to be highly regarded

Quote Originally Posted by Shedboy1971 View Post
    good list that - i do think in current circumstances youth will be given a shot and other teams will do the same. Lets hope this crop have some stars - i think glass, freeman and chalmers most likely (but you never know) mochrie seems to be highly regarded
    Agree mate. Lewis Neilson is my pick. He was specifically asked by R.Neilson to move from centre midfield to centre half last season. Maybe sees something in him. He is already around 6ft 3 (just turned 17), built like the side of a hoose, very comfy on the ball and going by the 'Team-mates' interview on the above link he is one of the fastest players in the u18s squad so he appears physically to have the full package. I guess it all depends on how he reads the game etc. Definitely one to watch along with Mochrie.

Glass, Freeman and Chalmers all turned 20 this year so they are in the category that probably have to start to make an impact or questions will be raised as to whether they have what it takes (a bit like Matty Smith over the last couple of years).

Either way, its a positive that there appears to be a good crop of youngsters coming through. I love seeing an Academy Graduate breaking into the first team. Nothing better. Plus I understand that part of the clubs vision is that a large % of the first team in a few years will be academy graduates.

Had to look into where Matty Smith is now and he's at Irish side Waterford.... along with Scott Allardice and Ally Coote

Quote Originally Posted by Whitfieldarab View Post
    Had to look into where Matty Smith is now and he's at Irish side Waterford.... along with Scott Allardice and Ally Coote
    Yes. 3 youngsters who we had high hopes for and all made a decent amount of first team apps. I think they paid for the fact that the club was so poorly run at the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)