+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pandemic Protest

Pandemic Protest

The right to protest is a great freedom to have but as with all aspects of freedom, a duty of responsibility comes with it. It is all very well protesting about racism but to gather in the thousands in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic I would suggest to be somewhat irresponsible. If even one person were to die from the disease, caught as a result of the demonstrations, would that protest have been worth it? I think not, especially as black and Asian people seem to be far more susceptible to the illness than white people. We should all treat others as we would have others treat us but the risk of passing on that virus during those demonstrations must have been considerable. How many of those protestors, though, were the same people that go to any demonstration and some of them, seem to delight in a bit of police baiting and slogan daubing. Always the possibility of a valid cause being hijacked by ‘professional troublemakers’.

Quote Originally Posted by kettering_baggie View Post
    The right to protest is a great freedom to have but as with all aspects of freedom, a duty of responsibility comes with it. It is all very well protesting about racism but to gather in the thousands in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic I would suggest to be somewhat irresponsible. If even one person were to die from the disease, caught as a result of the demonstrations, would that protest have been worth it? I think not, especially as black and Asian people seem to be far more susceptible to the illness than white people. We should all treat others as we would have others treat us but the risk of passing on that virus during those demonstrations must have been considerable. How many of those protestors, though, were the same people that go to any demonstration and some of them, seem to delight in a bit of police baiting and slogan daubing. Always the possibility of a valid cause being hijacked by ‘professional troublemakers’.

I can totally understand the anger of outpouring against discrimination and brutality, as the George Floyd death was truly shocking. The aggression from the US cops stems from a president who is racist and aggressive with threats constantly coming from his mouth - where are words like - unite - violence is not unacceptable, justice etc. Well it won't come from Trump.

That said - 14 police were injured badly yesterday and they too are victims. Protests are not yobs throwing bottles, or looting shops - this has nothing to do with it. I also question the pure stupidity of thousands protesting with a vicious pandemic. Whilst many idiots discriminate, the virus does not.

If we get a second spike then the economy won't take another hit. So I agree with protests, anti Trump demonstrations but surely at the moment, it should be done in another way. Captain Tom via social media hit the headlines around the world so perhaps protests should be done for the moment via social media!

I wonder how many protesting at demonstrations wanted Dominic Cummings sacked for breaking the guidelines but what he did was far less dangerous than being in the streets with thousands.

IMO if any of the demonstrators need hospital treatment for Covid in a few weeks it should be refused

How you find out they were there is the problem

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    ........The aggression from the US cops stems from a president who is racist and aggressive with threats constantly coming from his mouth.......
    The aggression of US Police Departments predates Trump's election. It's endemic and has been so for decades. You don't need to check back decades though, just do a quick Google search for aggressive police actions during Obama's time as President of the Disunited States for examples. Trump's vocal cords appear dislocated from his brain. Almost every time he opens his mouth effluent spurts forth. But to blame him solely for the aggression displayed by US Police Departments would be a misnomer. He's making matters worse but they've been very heavy handed for years. It doesn't help that many of them are clearly poorly trained and as thick as pig sh yt either.

Quote Originally Posted by kettering_baggie View Post
    but to gather in the thousands in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic I would suggest to be somewhat irresponsible.
    My understanding from listening to young people over here is this.......it really kills mostly very old people who have something wrong already with there health...and young people always feel invincible, so why shouldn't they demonstrate?
    I am seeing already over here the groups of younger people are congregating closely, with no social distancing going on.
    As I said before...the Spanish flu killed mainly 18-40 year old people...and left older and younger alone or with mild spittoons...So have a look at the age profile in pictures at these demos......mostly but not always young people......

Quote Originally Posted by Albionic68 View Post
    . It doesn't help that many of them are clearly poorly trained and as thick as pig sh yt either.
    It doesn't help either that most anybody you meet over there could be carrying a fire arm of some sort.
    Would be extremely nervous going in to work as a cop over there in most states....regardless of ethnicity.....but would be equally nervous going about my business over there if I was a non white civilian, too. Not a society I care to live in...no matter how rich it is.....

Quote Originally Posted by Albionic68 View Post
    The aggression of US Police Departments predates Trump's election. It's endemic and has been so for decades. You don't need to check back decades though, just do a quick Google search for aggressive police actions during Obama's time as President of the Disunited States for examples. Trump's vocal cords appear dislocated from his brain. Almost every time he opens his mouth effluent spurts forth. But to blame him solely for the aggression displayed by US Police Departments would be a misnomer. He's making matters worse but they've been very heavy handed for years. It doesn't help that many of them are clearly poorly trained and as thick as pig sh yt either.

Totally agree! It's a different type of policing over there with the gun violence so the snow flake approach does not work, but it's also no excuse for aggression or brutality as seen on innocent unarmed people. 14 cops badly injured yesterday with bottles thrown at them so what do they do? Cops can't do nothing but if they charge at the bottle throwers on horses wading batons - is this aggressive? How should they respond? Water cannons?

I totally understand the protests 100% but the whole point of a protest gets diluted when shops are looted and bottles are thrown at the police. Whilst there are some bad eggs in the UK police ( like all professions ), they do a decent job, and certainly do not deserve bottles thrown at them ( some were girls )! If you look at football stadiums - it's the stewards that cause a lot of the trouble and usually in this day and age, the cops don't go in unless they have to.

I liked Obama but he was weak and now Trump is aggressive, racist, and a complete nutter so to the other extreme. You would have thought someone better than Biden ( over the hill ) could have been challenging Trump!

With Corbyn gone, at least Karmer will give Boris a good run for his money, and can see why Boris's popularity has dropped in the ratings. Not a labour supporter, but impressed with Karmer so far and unimpressed with Boris in the handling of the virus.
    Last edited by baggieal; 07-06-2020 at 03:41 PM.

You shouldn't be allowed to join the police if you have an ounce of prejudice. You serve THE PUBLIC, whoever it is.

Quote Originally Posted by boingy View Post
    You shouldn't be allowed to join the police if you have an ounce of prejudice. You serve THE PUBLIC, whoever it is.

I agree and the police in this country do a good job although there's bad eggs in every profession including lawyers and accountants etc. It's good the police are recruiting from all ethnic groups and this is important.

That said - these are not protests when 14 police are injured by bricks and bottles. The small majority who did this should face a long stretch as they are nothing but thugs. No police ( many girls ) deserves to have a bottle thrown at them when just there to protect the public. Do we not have a serious pandemic in this country so why are protests even allowed in mass gatherings at the moment anyway? No wonder this country has one of the highest death rates in the world - too slow with everything - a PM who is invisible - and a lock down compared to other EU Countries which is a glorified 10 week Bank Holiday!

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    ...... these are not protests when 14 police are injured by bricks and bottles. The small majority who did this should face a long stretch as they are nothing but thugs. No police ( many girls ) deserves to have a bottle thrown at them when just there to protect the public. Do we not have a serious pandemic in this country so why are protests even allowed in mass gatherings at the moment anyway? No wonder this country has one of the highest death rates in the world - too slow with everything - a PM who is invisible - and a lock down compared to other EU Countries which is a glorified 10 week Bank Holiday.......
    ........... and I'm seething.

Yours, Disgusted Al' 😊 😉 .

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)