+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Racism

Quote Originally Posted by Jules88 View Post
    You asked if I would join you in getting rid of a statue of Jimmy Saville..
    No.
    I answered you.

No accusation there...... tha can “tittle” for ya apology cos one isn’t due..

So DID you ever laugh at Charlie’s jokes?
    Should the hospitals give the money back?

I’ll keep asking.....
    This is what you said

Perhaps Exile, in his support of these people would like to go to China, and help pull Mao’s statue down. I’ll pay for his flight over. He wouldn’t need a flight paying for on the way back.

Forgotten it already have we?

Yes of course I laughed because he was a man of colour making fun of himself
    What hospitals,what money do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Don't be so naive Jules , you don't live in a democracy , at least not the real sense .

More people voted against Trump in 2016 than for him .

More people voted against the Tories last December than for them too .

Sometimes people have no other place to go when the political and economic system fails em .

Black people in the States have done the peace protest in the 60's under Martin Luther King .

They've even had a black President for two terms .

Where else is there to go now when nothing changes ? .
    You’d say different if they’d wrecked YOUR business Animal, or your family property. I’m sure

Quote Originally Posted by Exiletyke View Post
    This is what you said

Perhaps Exile, in his support of these people would like to go to China, and help pull Mao’s statue down. I’ll pay for his flight over. He wouldn’t need a flight paying for on the way back.

Forgotten it already have we?

Yes of course I laughed because he was a man of colour making fun of himself
    What hospitals,what money do you mean?
    He made fun of Asians, The Irish, plenty of jokes against Jews and the Scots too.
    It was acceptable at the time and you laughed, we all did. It wasn’t right. It isn’t now.
    It was racist. No more acceptable. But it was accepted at the time........ just like Slavery
    THATS MY POINT

I shall burn the book.

You’d say different if they’d wrecked YOUR business Animal, or your family property. I’m sure
    I'd be pyssed off of course I would but when you put everything out on the table I believe I'd understand it too .

You can put a business back together Jules not so easy to put wrecked lives back together because the political and economic system works against you .

I'd say different if they wrecked my business or my property I'd be feckin livid
    That's a natural reaction but doesn't alter what they are about, the genuine protesters that is

Quote Originally Posted by Exiletyke View Post
    I'd say different if they wrecked my business or my property I'd be feckin livid
    That's a natural reaction but doesn't alter what they are about, the genuine protesters that is
    Genuine Protesters against Racism I support. Not looters, vandals and rent a thug. They ruin the genuine argument the genuine protesters have.
    Me owd Flower

Genuine Protesters against Racism I support. Not looters, vandals and rent a thug. They ruin the genuine argument the genuine protesters have.
    Me owd Flower

There's a museum in Liverpool that has a slave trade theme , Liverpool was also a port used by slave traders , if people want to visit it they can because it's not right to erase history but you can visit it if you want .

That's where this statue should have sat years ago .

Nobody should miss a statue of a slave trader on a city centre street .

Just to add to tonight’s discussion, ( although I don’t think the racism discussion will Ever end.)
    I’d like to make clear that I don’t in any way suggest Charlie was a racist. Nor do I think his jokes were intended to be racist. Nor am I calling him such. My use of Charlie was to demonstrate that within OUR lifetime the jokes we used to think funny and sat and laughed at are now such. It’s only as our world has moved on that we hopefully change. The Colson fella improved the lives of many in Bristol, yet the lives of many slaves were destroyed.
    The likes of Saville were feted and Celebrated, yet had a sinister underbelly. Only found out and reviled later. He too did some good.

That was my point.
    Charlie’s humour was, ( and still is funny) Not all his stuff was about taking the Mick ( see what I did there?)... about his and others race, but a good chunk was, I’ve howled at some of the jokes in the book, it’s out of print now, and I don’t think it’ll be printed again..... by laughing at the humour I don’t see myself as a racist, because as I read them I know that when written in those days it was seen as “Jokes”.

Today they would be rightly recognised as unacceptable.

I don’t think we should burn books like this, just as long as we appreciate that this is History that at the time was acceptable, but isn’t now.
    Last edited by Jules88; 08-06-2020 at 10:00 PM.

Well something else has just occurred to me over this statue business .

If it's so wrong to have pulled it down and slung it in the River Avon by a bunch of jobless rent a mob yobs .

They'd be no problem putting it back exactly where it was since it was fished out from the Bristol Waterfront this morning .

So go on and put it back then , you can't let the yobs win now can you ? .

Charlie Williams worra legend.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast