+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Racism

Racism

As a schoolboy i was taught alongside many different Nationalities , there was never an hint of racist behaviour by anyone, the only times i heard the name calling etc was at football matches , we know it exists in life more now , but that's down to pure ignorance i think , it's not big or clever being like that , it does need stopping , however part of me thinks that the media are fanning the flames , I'm fed up of listening to ex footballers , athletes etc constantly banging on about it ,
    Stop highlighting these racist morons on the News , it just encourages them to continue

Quote Originally Posted by Romared View Post
    As a schoolboy i was taught alongside many different Nationalities , there was never an hint of racist behaviour by anyone, the only times i heard the name calling etc was at football matches , we know it exists in life more now , but that's down to pure ignorance i think , it's not big or clever being like that , it does need stopping , however part of me thinks that the media are fanning the flames , I'm fed up of listening to ex footballers , athletes etc constantly banging on about it ,
    Stop highlighting these racist morons on the News , it just encourages them to continue
    It's the age we live in that enables social media to give everyone a platform Roma and that's never going to go away .

It can work the other way too , when things occurred in the days when nobody had a mobile phone and couldn't uploaded content within seconds on to a social media platform people got away with it .

I'd imagine the country would have had a very different view of The Battle Of Orgreave in 1984 if the tech had been around then for instance .

The George Floyd tragedy highlights this too .

It's not so much those celebs that come and speak out that bother me it's actually those who take to social media and criticise celebs for not saying anything who are the worst .

High profile black people can't win at the moment and are getting put in a if your not with us then you must be against us situation .

I don't believe every black person living in the London area were demonstrating this weekend but that doesn't mean they are indifferent towards what was going on .

Spot on Roma. They turn things into racism and it causes problems. Personally I don't think it will ever go away but over the years people have become more educated and attitudes have changed.

When I were a nipper in 1980s tha could count on 2 hands the amount of black people tha saw in tarn. Obviously since then things have changed dramatically as have folks attitudes.

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    Spot on Roma. They turn things into racism and it causes problems. Personally I don't think it will ever go away but over the years people have become more educated and attitudes have changed.

When I were a nipper in 1980s tha could count on 2 hands the amount of black people tha saw in tarn. Obviously since then things have changed dramatically as have folks attitudes.
    There's more going on than just racism Pass , what's going on right now is much deeper than what happened in Minneapolis and George Floyd .

This is about inequality , lack of opportunity , poverty , political and economic failure and the current pandemic has brought it to the surface .

This is about Wall Street billionaires who sent the US and the rest of the world in to an economic tailspin and walked away Scott free whilst a black bloke in Minneapolis lost his life because he was arrested for using dodgy money to feed himself and his family .

It's a metaphor moment .

The documentary in the link is thought provoking .

https://youtu.be/5tap_cBC_-Q

The only "racism" I was aware of as an urchin in Doduth wo mi mam saying, "If tha dunt stop that a black man al cumman tek thi away".

The slave trade was taught to me as being the "triangular trade" bringing wealth to Britain. The British Empire "civilised" the world and we ruled the waves.

What did the Romans ever do for us?

How many English people died before the Romans taught us how to build straight roads? Move clean water about? Etc

I’m not a racist... I have many, many, many black and Asian friends... and what happened in USA was atrocious. However the history, good or bad should not be erased. Statues of people who did good and bad in the past shouldn’t be attacked. Interesting that the majority of the faces dragging the statue into each river were white. Is there a statue of Nelson Mandela anywhere? He was part of a group that bombed trains, allegedly also aware of “Necklace” punishments handed out by his then wife Winnie.
    Are they then going to remove his statue?
    Thugs.
    They lost me when they they tried to set fire to the Jack

I wonder what would have happened if a statue of Thatcher had been erected on the plinth near Peel Square with a quote underneath saying "The miners are the enemy within".

Perhaps it may have raised a few emotions as ex miners and their families walked past it

Having to walk past that statue glorifying a slave trader was a slap in the face for black people in Bristol.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    I wonder what would have happened if a statue of Thatcher had been erected on the plinth near Peel Square with a quote underneath saying "The miners are the enemy within".

Perhaps it may have raised a few emotions as ex miners and their families walked past it

Having to walk past that statue glorifying a slave trader was a slap in the face for black people in Bristol.
    Only the other day. It's been a slap in the face but suddenly they feel the need now. It's the latest thing to protest and get upset about. People would get more sympathy from me with their "isms" if they wouldn't crow and ram it down my throat at every opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponte_Steve24 View Post
    Only the other day. It's been a slap in the face but suddenly they feel the need now. It's the latest thing to protest and get upset about. People would get more sympathy from me with their "isms" if they wouldn't crow and ram it down my throat at every opportunity.
    Better than a bobby's knee being rammed darn thi throit Ponte.

But there isn’t a statue of Thatcher. Putting one up would have been an act of war. This statue I presume was there for a reason, to commemorate some of the good things he did?
    I wasn’t aware it said “ In recognition of his services to slavery!”

Some black peoples will not be happy until all white history is erased.

Some black people, Not all....

When this statue, and Rhodes in Oxford has gone, what target next for the aggrieved?

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast