+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: L2 season formally ended

Quote Originally Posted by Evesham Pie View Post
    I'm not sure that the 24 man playoff squad all have contracts beyond June. I'm pretty sure the likes of Lacey, Doyle and Rose are out of contract on June 30th and I'm not sure about a number of others including O'Brien, Booty, Crawford etc. Not necessarily all of these would be my first name on the teamsheet but they may need replacing. And if we were to go up I'm sure we'd want, and be able to, attract L2 standard players who may not want to join us in the NL, and the uncertainty might lead to identified targets going elsewhere before our status is confirmed.
    I realise contracts are up for all but a few of them but I think we will find most of those players will be offered new contracts by the club and I would be amazed if they didn't grab them with both hands.

Quote Originally Posted by BanjoPie View Post
    Excuse me, we already have a squad of players equal to most and better than many clubs in L2
    Yes, but as previously stated a few of the 24 are not contracted in to next season. I suspect there will be a gentleman’s agreement with some bases on what league we are in.

I'm not sure we can really say that. We were beaten easily by Northampton in the FA Cup and only sit 3rd in the National League (yes, I know our form prior to the shutdown was good, but we've blown hot and cold before this season).

We'll only find out how good the squad is if we go up and I personally see that we'll want to strengthen in some areas, especially if some players who are out of contract move on.

I'm not sure we can really say that. We were beaten easily by Northampton in the FA Cup and only sit 3rd in the National League (yes, I know our form prior to the shutdown was good, but we've blown hot and cold before this season).

We'll only find out how good the squad is if we go up and I personally see that we'll want to strengthen in some areas, especially if some players who are out of contract move on.
    Given the parlous financial state of football clubs at this time, I suspect there will be more players chasing clubs than there are clubs chasing players. Especially in the lower leagues.

Ardley has already been looking at players I expect the club will strengthen the squad no matter which division we are in.

For me its not about the club wanting to strengthen but the better players who are available wanting to join us. Given the circumstances, if you are a decent L2 standard player whose contract (and income) finishes on June 30th, will you wait to see whether Notts prevail in the playoffs or take the bird in the hand offer from an existing L2 club? The uncertainty works against us.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    Yes, but as previously stated a few of the 24 are not contracted in to next season. I suspect there will be a gentleman’s agreement with some bases on what league we are in.
    It's a bit more than a few it's most who's contracts expire at the end of the month. Only Bakayogo, Boldewijn, Wootton, Roberts, and the youth players given a contract Tiernan Brooks etc..are contracted for next season.

So if the playoffs are to go beyond 30th June then I guess the club has or will need to come to some arrangement with the rest.

The longer this drags on the more disadvantaged Notts become. However on the other hand let's hope our patience pays off and we do get to play in the playofffs and have the chance of getting promoted.

I'd take playoffs and more uncertainty as to what league we will be in for another month than it be made certain now that it's over there are no playoffs and we are in this league for another season.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    It's a bit more than a few it's most who's contracts expire at the end of the month. Only Bakayogo, Boldewijn, Wootton, Roberts, and the youth players given a contract Tiernan Brooks etc..are contracted for next season.

So if the playoffs are to go beyond 30th June then I guess the club has or will need to come to some arrangement with the rest.

The longer this drags on the more disadvantaged Notts become. However on the other hand let's hope our patience pays off and we do get to play in the playofffs and have the chance of getting promoted.

I'd take playoffs and more uncertainty as to what league we will be in for another month than it be made certain now that it's over there are no playoffs and we are in this league for another season.
    We're in better shape than the others bar Yeovil. Everyone else does contracts until May

For me its not about the club wanting to strengthen but the better players who are available wanting to join us. Given the circumstances, if you are a decent L2 standard player whose contract (and income) finishes on June 30th, will you wait to see whether Notts prevail in the playoffs or take the bird in the hand offer from an existing L2 club? The uncertainty works against us.
    I believe League 2 are moving to a 20 man squad with 8 youth players or something like that to reduce costs. If so, that's 12 professional players per squad, depending on the finances, it could make the national League stronger than L2

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    I believe League 2 are moving to a 20 man squad with 8 youth players or something like that to reduce costs. If so, that's 12 professional players per squad, depending on the finances, it could make the national League stronger than L2
    it's not 8 youth players it's 8 players who have been signed with English clubs for 5 years from the age of 18 apparently - so 8 have to be "homegrown" so to speak - it doesn't mean the 5 years have to be with Notts Either

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast