+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: WGS best ever t....eam

WGS best ever t....eam

Some interesting selections here.... https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52951616

McGhee up top, and Weir at wing-back. Good to see 6 Dons in there, plus a few mentioned in the article....

Quote Originally Posted by hulldon View Post
    Some interesting selections here.... https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52951616

McGhee up top, and Weir at wing-back. Good to see 6 Dons in there, plus a few mentioned in the article....
    I saw that and was a bit pleasantly surprised at his team. Hopefully he has a softer spot for us than I thought in recent years

Quote Originally Posted by hulldon View Post

The Manure team WGS joined were vastly inferior to us at the time so no surprise there's not that many of their players listed - we'd have pumped them silly if we'd played them in those days.

Too many folk tend to get blinded by McGhee the manager these days - and the fact he's a bit of a waank as a bloke.

McGhee the player was top notch - bona fide legend. I think Strachan's write up is pretty reflective of the player I remember - big, strong and powerful but with a surprisingly high level of skill and close control.

The fact Frunkie McDougall wis even better though speaks volumes for him inna.

Weir - peerless. Best winger I've seen at the Dons. As Fergie himself said Aberdeen were a good side, but when Peter Weir played well, Aberdeen were a great side. Nuff said.

The fact that hun cuunt Cooper gets eulogised as some sort of diety (decent player though he was) whilst oor Peter hardly gets a mention still really pisses me off.

Weir played for the cheeks, they'd be singing his name constantly in the media. Cuunts.

That’s a fair point about McGhee. It’s become very hard to see beyond the man to the footballer he was. Shame really.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Moog View Post
    The fact Frunkie McDougall wis even better though speaks volumes for him inna.
    McDougall visited Man Utd training ground and in passing, Fergie said to Van Nistelrooy whilst pointing to McDougall, "Now, that's a striker!"

Quote Originally Posted by Don Julio View Post
    That’s a fair point about McGhee. It’s become very hard to see beyond the man to the footballer he was. Shame really.
    That genuinely hurts me, i does.

I loved McGhee the player, though I do recall during his time at the Dons I heard tales here and there about personal bawbaggery (he very occasionally used to drink in The Marine in Stoney).

It's sad when you find out your idols have feet of clay.

Quote Originally Posted by afc1903mad View Post
    McDougall visited Man Utd training ground and in passing, Fergie said to Van Nistelrooy whilst pointing to McDougall, "Now, that's a striker!"
    Simmie tells the same story with Beckham the “proper (mannies’) midfielder” fall guy when He Of The Blessed Tackle was visiting Old Trafford.