+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Down from the Championship

New owners couldn't hack the idea of major losses from Covid interruption.
    However, that's possibly not the end as there may be others in the same position.

10 -15 forecast.

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    New owners couldn't hack the idea of major losses from Covid interruption.
    However, that's possibly not the end as there may be others in the same position.
    Which begs the question why the new owners took over in the middle of the lockdown, especially as the now majority shareholder was on the old board and must have known the financial situation. I can accept that there will be existing and long standing boards that will decide their clubs are not currently viable, but thie new Wigan owner knew (or should’ve known) exactly what he was getting into. Still, at least they dragged Stoke deep into the mire before their announcement.

I believe that Stoke are saddled with the mental outlook that they are still a small time club. Incredible when you consider the immense wealth of the Coates family.

Their recent choice of managers only goes to ascertain that. I would disagree with some posters opinion of the current manager. I think he was yet again a poor choice. It is one thing managing an international side. It is a completely different challenge managing a club side, History confirms that there has been very few in British football have succeeded when they transfer.

I spent many happy years working in the Stoke area, and in all honesty have to say that I do hope that they do not get relegated,

I think Wigan are now odds on for relegation, the EFL said they will be deducted 12 points this season if they finish outside of the bottom 3. If they finish in the bottom 3 then they will be deducted 12 points next season, they do look like they will continue as there are a number of parties interested in buying the club. It is great to see Stoke struggling, but I think Stoke will finish out of the bottom 3 with Luton, Barnsley and Wigan set for the drop.

Wigan Athletic may not be my favourite club, but in this troubled time I feel that it will be grossly unfair if the EFL decide on a 12 point penalty. Believe the current emergency different rules should apply.

Thing is, Wigan are 8 points clear of the drop and with their 12 points have only 4 to make up. I think Wigan are a better bet even with their deduction than Stoke.
    A relegation now would also lead to quite a clear-out as some of their players probably believe they shouldn't be where they are never mind League One.

Very interesting article about the Wigan fiasco in today’s Guardian on line by the excellent David Conn.

I accept that there is something dubious about the change of ownership, but I find the EFL decision to deduct points strange. All clubs have been affected by the shutdown and games are being played in empty stadia - no matchday revenue which is affecting all EFL clubs. Surprised Wigan are the only club so far to go into administration. Oldham just escaped a winding up order.

The EFL are damned if they do and damned if they don’t. The rules around going into administration are very clear (amongst the only one that is!) so it would be ludicrous not to apply them, as well as opening the EFL up to legal action from whoever might be adversely affected if they don’t.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast