+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why can't they leave poor Boris alone?

There is a statue of Jan Peterszoon Coen in Hoorn. A decent enough chap but, like Colston and others, a less nice side to him as well. A few years back there was a small protest movement to get rid of the statue. They spoke to the council who debated it and then came up with a typically Dutch compromise.

They added another plaque to the statue summing up some his less likable acts. They added a QR code to the new plaque and that take you, via your phone of course, to a webpage where his misdemeanours are dealt with more fully.

Might a similar attitude to this be acceptable across the UK or are there so many snowflakes out there that they all have snowblindness?

rA, as it's my thread, I'll allow myself leeway to broaden the scope, just as would happen in a discussion over a pint or 3 in the local

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    There is a statue of Jan Peterszoon Coen in Hoorn. A decent enough chap but, like Colston and others, a less nice side to him as well. A few years back there was a small protest movement to get rid of the statue. They spoke to the council who debated it and then came up with a typically Dutch compromise.

They added another plaque to the statue summing up some his less likable acts. They added a QR code to the new plaque and that take you, via your phone of course, to a webpage where his misdemeanours are dealt with more fully.

Might a similar attitude to this be acceptable across the UK or are there so many snowflakes out there that they all have snowblindness?

rA, as it's my thread, I'll allow myself leeway to broaden the scope, just as would happen in a discussion over a pint or 3 in the local
    No criticism intended, ‘Amster...you do as you like, I’m only too pleased it’s your thread.

Could see your ‘Dutch compromise’ working for some cases, but there seems to be so much in Bristol that has already abandoned historical links to the name of Colston that it’s difficult to see how the statue could have remained...imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    It's bonkers Maddy. Eddie Murphy also plays white characters and is good at it. I suggest you watch Iron Sky, funny comedy with Moon nazi's in it and a black guy turned white with albino drugs.

What's next, Blazing Saddles, the Pyramids, the Roman architecture? Lets not forget the Chinese who were running slaves before Christ was born.

I suggest folks read the justgiving page for BLM.
    It tells of the changes it wants.

1. abolish the police
    2.abolish capitalism
    3. abandon western values

Exactly how the foooook is that going to work? A new China?
    Then there's the media. Buffed headlines of "mostly peaceful" offended people
    Monuments get defended by ex service personel, but they are "far right activists"

Worlds gone mad I tell you.
    The whole movement has lost its message as it's been hijacked by anarchy activists/the far left/ momentum/ANTIFA
    And this is where it all comes out, it's a chance to rebel against the Tories and Brexit.

Mob rule seems ok now,
    It's been hijacked by anarchy ,activists/ momentum/ ANTIFA

Tricky love your unbiased posts did you forget to tell us this . The far right group The Democratic Football Lads Alliance has called on its 3,500 members to descend on the capital and meet in Whitehall at midday on Sat 13th June please come ready tooled
    Ironic Black Lives Matter have their march same place same time

Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post

Tricky love your unbiased posts did you forget to tell us this . The far right group The Democratic Football Lads Alliance has called on its 3,500 members to descend on the capital and meet in Whitehall at midday on Sat 13th June please come ready tooled
    What's your point?
    Why are they going? Remind me

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    What's your point?
    Why are they going? Remind me
    You tell me or are you to embarrassed to ?

Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post

They are there, their explanation, to protect the statues from the BLM protestors (They mean the few who will hijack the protest for violent means). A worthy thought.

It's not just the DFLA though is it? They are, according to quite a lot of stuff written on SM, being joined by quite a large "crew" of ex servicemen. Collectively, they are being referred to as the far right........... One could be forgiven for raising an eyebrow at that description although some of them certainly are RW.

They are there, their explanation, to protect the statues from the BLM protestors (They mean the few who will hijack the protest for violent means). A worthy thought.

It's not just the DFLA though is it? They are, according to quite a lot of stuff written on SM, being joined by quite a large "crew" of ex servicemen. Collectively, they are being referred to as the far right........... One could be forgiven for raising an eyebrow at that description although some of them certainly are RW.
    MA steady on mate Tricky will go into meltdown

As ever things have become unhelpfully polarised, MA.

Can any genuinely decent thinking person really object to the BLM cause or the ‘spark’ which ignited this particular series of protests?

Can anyone really object to the removal of those statues - allegedly to the ‘great and the good’ - who are, on closer inspection, actually monuments to those responsible for crimes against humanity?

Unfortunately what we now have is an unholy alliance of traditionalists and the far right seeking to prevent history actually being made in the name of, bizarrely, ‘it’s our history innit!’

At least there’s been one outbreak of common sense...I see the ‘Germans’ episode of Fawlty Towers has been reprieved.

Sadly this whole BLM issue is heaven sent for Johnson...if ever a distraction was needed from his handling of Coronavirus and Cummings this is it.

Is it just me that finds it ironic that BLM marches are simply going to increase the covid mortality rate for black families?

Whilst some marchers may socially distance, some may wear masks, many - based on pictures I've seen in the media - will not (allowing of course for media selective photography).

Yes I know its not just black people protesting, but there are a greater proportion marching than in the national population.

So it's a great chance for the plucky virus from China to launch a fight back into an element of our community that has already been shown to be vulnerable.

If black lives truly matter, stay home and save black lives. Those statues have been there 100 years or more, your point re their removal has been made

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    As ever things have become unhelpfully polarised, MA.

Can any genuinely decent thinking person really object to the BLM cause or the ‘spark’ which ignited this particular series of protests?

Can anyone really object to the removal of those statues - allegedly to the ‘great and the good’ - who are, on closer inspection, actually monuments to those responsible for crimes against humanity?

Unfortunately what we now have is an unholy alliance of traditionalists and the far right seeking to prevent history actually being made in the name of, bizarrely, ‘it’s our history innit!’

At least there’s been one outbreak of common sense...I see the ‘Germans’ episode of Fawlty Towers has been reprieved.

Sadly this whole BLM issue is heaven sent for Johnson...if ever a distraction was needed from his handling of Coronavirus and Cummings this is it.
    Polarised indeed.

Where are you going to draw the line?
    Yes we have a past. Do I agree with the statues acknowledging these men? No I don't. But the reason they are there, is probably due to them spending their money on the cities they resided in.
    Personally, I think a more fitting answer to it, is to change the plaques with them explaining where their money came from. It would be more educational and not trying to wipe history away like 1984 from GO.
    But this isn't the limit is it. They are trying to tie in figures like Churchill/Nelson etc. How do you erase those from history?
    Are you just going to remove anything with dirty fingers with the slave trade?
    If so, then your beloved Guardian has to go. It's founder was involved in the cotton trade and once described Abraham Lincolns appointment an "evil day".

What I don't condone, is the way this is being conducted. The day you let a mob, get its way undoes all social order and process.
    BLM and media are portraying the killing of George Floyd as the driving force behind this mass outrage.
    It isn't. No one has answered their demands yet-
    1. Abolish the police
    2. Abolish capitalism
    3.Abolish western values

So I'll ask again. What has that to do with some "offensive" statues?
    Last edited by Trickytreesreds; 13-06-2020 at 10:13 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)