+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why can't they leave poor Boris alone?

Why can't they leave poor Boris alone?

They say a week in politics is a long time. This list I found online, if true, would tend to prove that saying.

This is just one week in summary...

1. The govt reduced the UK-wide coronavirus alert level on the advice of the “Joint Biosecurity Centre"

2. Matt Hancock revealed the “Joint Biosecurity Centre” doesn’t exist yet

3. Boris Johnson said he was “very proud” of the UK’s response

4. After previously telling us facemasks were essential, then not essential, then essential, then not essential, then essential, then not essential (6 U-turn) the govt said facemasks were, actually, essential

5. But not until 15th June. 2 weeks more of them being not-essential.

6. And then NHS leaders revealed they hadn’t been consulted on any of this

7. The govt announced dentists were returning to work the following day

8. And then dentists said they also hadn’t been consulted about this, or even warned it was happening.

9. The govt announced it was relaxing the lockdown nationally, because it said the R level (infectivity rate) had fallen as low as 0.7

10. Within 2 days the R level had risen back above 1 in much of Northern England, but the govt has not reintroduced local lockdown.

11. The gov justified relaxing the lockdown because we would have a “world-beating Test and Trace” in place by 1st June

12. And then the next day, the head of the Test and Trace programme revealed it would not be operational until Sept.

13. The following day it was revealed an "urgent Test and Trace programme" was recommended by experts in February, but not acted upon until May

14. Boris Johnson announced he is personally taking charge of the coronavirus response, a mere 138 days since the first UK case.

15. The head of Outbreak Modelling at Imperial College said he was shocked that Covid-19 was still “spilling out of hospitals and care homes”

16. It was revealed advice was given to the govt on 24 Feb that there should be “no discharges to care or residential homes”.

17. The Italian Health Minister has reported that Boris Johnson had told him UK govt policy was Herd Immunity

18. The govt and Boris Johnson continue to deny the policy has every been Herd Immunity, even though Boris Johnson went on TV and advocated it.

20. The most comprehensive World Health Organisation study to date found the risk of Covid infection doubles if the 2-metre rule is reduced.

21. Then Boris Johnson went on TV to say he wants to reduce the 2-metre distancing rule as soon as possible.

22. Matt Hancock tweeted that he was proud we reached a 200,000 test capacity

23. The next day he said he was proud of a lower 171,000 tests

24. If you get a nasal, throat and antibody test, that counts as 3 tests, even if it’s 1 person

25. So 171,000 tests = 57000 people
    26. At that rate it will take 1,175 days to test the whole UK. That’s 3 years and 3 months.

27. And almost 75,000 tests had to be redone because of problems in UK labs

28. Boris Johnson repeated he was “very proud” of the UK government's response.

29. The govt said it would not open playgrounds, because children from different families meet there

30. The govt said it would reopen schools where - yes - children from different families meet

31. 44% of England’s schools did not trust the govt advice enough to re-open.

31. The govt announced people could now meet in socially distanced groups in gardens, but under no circumstances could anybody enter the houses of friends and family

32. The govt said homeless people should “move in with friends and family”.

33. Parliament stopped digital voting, leading to a 1.3 km long queue of MPs, right down the road and into a local park, waiting 90 minutes to do one vote.

34. MP’s often vote 8 times per day. Under the new system, this means they will do nothing at all except stand in queues.

35. No provisions had been made for extra security, or to protect those vulnerable to Covid-19.

36. Within 24 hours a cabinet minister was ill and needed to be tested. He said he tested negative.

37. It was later reported around 1/3 of tests produce false-negative results.

38. Only 12% of Britons say Parliament needs to physical voting, and there have been absolutely zero instances of voting irregularities under the digital

39. The House Of Lords continues to vote using the digital system.

40. The Minister for Mental Health objected to Pier Morgan's criticisms, and tweeted "could you please avoid wherever possible calling people 'completely mad'”.

41. And then it was revealed some time earlier, she had called people on Twitter “window-lickers”.

42. A Tory MP breached guidelines by going to a barbeque during the lockdown, attended by the deputy chairman of Spectator, the Brexit Party chairman, and journalist Isabel Oakeshott.

43. All three of these defended Dominic Cummings, who is, incidentally, still not sacked.

44. The govt criticised Chinese food standards and lack of transparency, which it said first caused, and then exacerbated coronavirus.

45. And then the govt voted to lower UK food standards, and refused to publish a report on excess coronavirus deaths.

46. In Jan the Environment Secretary said “we will not be importing chlorinated chicken, we will not be importing hormone-treated beef” as part of any future trade deal.

47. The govt said it would import chlorinated chicken and hormone-treated beef as part of a US trade deal.

48. In a single day the UK had 359 Covid-19 deaths, which was 45 more than the other 27 EU countries *combined*.

49. Boris Johnson, joint-leader of the Brexit campaign, announced he would start a “charm offensive” to get EU workers to return to the UK.

50. Sir Paul Nurse, former President of the Royal Society, described talking to ministers about coronavirus as “like talking to a blancmange”.

51. Boris Johnson said for a 4th time he was “very proud” of the UK govt's response.

Well at least 14 is comforting Boris Johnson is personally taking charge from now on Thank God for someone who knows what he's doing

Wow...damning stuff indeed, MA.
    In the words of a suddenly contentious Boy Scout leader...I think you’d better ‘be prepared’...you may be about to be labelled a vitriolic, anti British lefty giving voice to sentiments like that.
    There are a few more things that could be added to that list, but let’s be fair...he was ill for a couple of weeks, he’s had another baby and had to deal with the sudden realisation that he’s obese.
    Who can expect a PM and his Government to perform properly in such circumstances...and maybe they have done a good job, after all we do seem to be ‘table topping’ in Europe...for Covid deaths, Covid cases and economic collapse.

... and he's got all this racist stuff to take care of as well.......

If it worked both ways I'd be OK with it but it doesn't seem to.

Streaming sites are ditching Little Britain, Fawlty Towers "don't mention the war" episode and others. I found the film, "White Chicks" available on the first 4 I looked at. For those that don't know the story, the Wayans brothers play 2 black FBI agents who go undercover as "white chicks". Does this mean Matt and David can't black up but the Wayans can white up? Ban both or none IMO.

FFS, they are actors in roles. Taking this attitude to its logical conclusion, gays will no longer be allowed to play straight roles and vice versa. Eddie Murphy won't be able to play the role of a fat professor as he is neither fat nor a professor. Utter stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post

Streaming sites are ditching Little Britain, Fawlty Towers "don't mention the war" episode and others. I found the film, "White Chicks" available on the first 4 I looked at. For those that don't know the story, the Wayans brothers play 2 black FBI agents who go undercover as "white chicks". Does this mean Matt and David can't black up but the Wayans can white up? Ban both or none IMO.

FFS, they are actors in roles. Taking this attitude to its logical conclusion, gays will no longer be allowed to play straight roles and vice versa. Eddie Murphy won't be able to play the role of a fat professor as he is neither fat nor a professor. Utter stupidity.
    It's bonkers Maddy. Eddie Murphy also plays white characters and is good at it. I suggest you watch Iron Sky, funny comedy with Moon nazi's in it and a black guy turned white with albino drugs.

What's next, Blazing Saddles, the Pyramids, the Roman architecture? Lets not forget the Chinese who were running slaves before Christ was born.

I suggest folks read the justgiving page for BLM.
    It tells of the changes it wants.

1. abolish the police
    2.abolish capitalism
    3. abandon western values

Exactly how the foooook is that going to work? A new China?
    Then there's the media. Buffed headlines of "mostly peaceful" offended people
    Monuments get defended by ex service personel, but they are "far right activists"

Worlds gone mad I tell you.
    The whole movement has lost its message as it's been hijacked by anarchy activists/the far left/ momentum/ANTIFA
    And this is where it all comes out, it's a chance to rebel against the Tories and Brexit.

Mob rule seems ok now,

Its easy to be damning without any context. Take the face mask example, if he advised everyone to go and get one... we couldn't even buy bog roll at that point, he'd have been critisised for not securing them for front line workers, which was hard enough already. Society seems to be lacking empathy at the moment, and it's very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by AdiSalisbury View Post
    Its easy to be damning without any context. Take the face mask example, if he advised everyone to go and get one... we couldn't even buy bog roll at that point, he'd have been critisised for not securing them for front line workers, which was hard enough already. Society seems to be lacking empathy at the moment, and it's very sad.
    So are you saying he’s been an effective leader, Adi?

I'm not saying either way, I just think that it's very easy to write out a long list of damning lines about anyone, get all emotive and on your high horse (not pointed at anyone here). I'm saying we need more empathy and compassion in our society, if we worked together, we'd be a lot more successful.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post

You seem to be broadening the discussion from just Johnson, MA.

Inclined to agree with some of your comments. All for the fight against institutionalised racism and it was, imo, no loss to see the statue of a slave trader, who was responsible for the transportation of 80,000 slaves and the death of about 19,000 of them, ‘removed’.

Quite like to see similar statues of Rhodes and Clive taken away, and confined to a museum, too...in much the same way as General Haig was treated, albeit for different reasons.

Baden Powell and Churchill may be slightly different and more contentious although both were undeniably racist and the former an open admirer of Mein Kampf.

Even my own ‘home town’ hasn’t escaped with the infamous ‘Black’s Head’ sign removed. Again it’s been an embarrassment for years and the best place for it is, imo, in a museum.

As regards ‘Little Britain’ and ‘Fawlty Towers’ I just don’t get it. Surely the humour there was designed to satirise the absurdity of racist attitudes not to defend them. Seems like another case of the politically correct shooting themselves in the foot to me.

Quote Originally Posted by AdiSalisbury View Post
    I'm saying we need more empathy and compassion in our society, if we worked together, we'd be a lot more successful.
    Amen to that! Sadly I don’t see much ‘empathy or compassion’ from our current ‘leaders’.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)