+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Name them

Quote Originally Posted by InversneckieDob View Post
    Did we nae sign Sullivan, Stuart Kennedy, back up goalie Ally McLean and re-sign the King a' on the same day?
    If nae it was hooorin' close.
    Nae quite, as I recall.

Joe returned before the end of the 75-76 season ,but missed the deadline to allow him to play. In the days of Proper Mannies' Reserve Fitba, we played away to St Perth midweek (and lost, hooking us back into the relegation scrap with the Saints, TMSTITS and TSMSTITS). Joe played for the reserves at Pittodrie where, reputedly, there was a bigger crowd than at Muirton, and scored the final goal in a 5-0 win. I think I missed the match, but witnesses have added so many yards on to the distance between Joe's strike and the Saints' goal, that he apparently walloped it from the outskirts of Kennethmont.

I think Sullivan and Kennedy were signed very closely together (unsure about McLean), and I have heard both tell their stories of the haste with which they joined, having been enthused by McLeod, and desperate to get out of the hellhole of the Central Belt. They were both desperate to play full time (Kennedy's yarn goes on for about five hours) and both commented that their adoption of the correct definition 'chipper' was easy, as it is far more descriptive of the lard-vending emporia where Joe Smith was a regular around the city and its banlieux.

Ahhh, now you mention that (about Joey's return) bells are ringing a' ower the shop.

Ally McLean wasnae much of a keeper, but the position of back up goalie was significant at AFC in them days.

Bobby Clark used to go and play in 'Murica in the summer and widnae return until later in August.
    This meant that the erstwhile back up was pressed into service for a puckle League Cup sectional games (and mair significantly, Bobby was posted missing fae the team photo).
    I think Fergie (possibly McNeil) put a stop to this helluva on-cairry pretty rapid.

Imagine that nowadays "Pre-season traning gaffer? Canna manage I'm afraid. I'm turning oot for the Oregan Butt-scuttlers in the 'Dicks Sporting Goods Cup' play offs".

Nah.

The Heritage Trust info says that McLean and Kennedy both signed on 12 June 76, Sullivan on 10 April 76 and Joe on 17 April 76.

I mind a bit of a panic in midweek before the 76 League Cup final where McLean was named in goal instead of Clarkie for a buccaneering 3-1 win v Motherwell (Sullivan, Harper, Jarvie) at Pittodrie. Clark's minor injury cleared up on time for the cup final. McLean was OK as back-up, but he was no Robbie Winters.

I was there. (Harper comeback)

Main stand of course for a reserve game.

Sitting about level with Joe when he received the pass ( only about 2 yards offside) to score.

He didn’t look that quick that night but of course there was a massive roar when he scored ( mingled with laughter because of the offside)

If you had to compile a top ten of world strikers, then Joey Harper would have to feature.

I've seen Gerd Muller described as "West Germany's Joe Harper", but then again, the Hibee fanzine once featured a pic of Pele captioned "the black Chic Charnley".

Quote Originally Posted by 57vintage View Post
    The Heritage Trust info says that McLean and Kennedy both signed on 12 June 76, Sullivan on 10 April 76 and Joe on 17 April 76.

I mind a bit of a panic in midweek before the 76 League Cup final where McLean was named in goal instead of Clarkie for a buccaneering 3-1 win v Motherwell (Sullivan, Harper, Jarvie) at Pittodrie. Clark's minor injury cleared up on time for the cup final. McLean was OK as back-up, but he was no Robbie Winters.
    Hadnae realised Sullivan signed that early, but the auld memory ain't what it was.

I think Clark's injury was a broken thumb and he played through the pain in the cup final, played a blinder 'n' a'.

Quote Originally Posted by InversneckieDob View Post
    Hadnae realised Sullivan signed that early, but the auld memory ain't what it was.

I think Clark's injury was a broken thumb and he played through the pain in the cup final, played a blinder 'n' a'.
    Dom Sullivan’s wife used to teach me “home economics” at Ruthrieston/Harlaw. She was tidy.

Tonsilitis according to the Motherwell match report.

Quote Originally Posted by sheepcrooky View Post
    Dom Sullivan’s wife used to teach me “home economics” at Ruthrieston/Harlaw. She was tidy.
    Er....rules?

Although I would far rather have had home economics as opposed to woodwork and f’uckin metalwork, I would never have had the choice.

So, is sheepcrooky a girl?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast